Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2010, 7:57 pm

I hate to admit it, but these days I get a few calls a week, or at least those that aren't family.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2010, 8:23 pm

I'd call you :)

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2010, 8:50 pm

You're lucky. Other than family, I can't remember the last phone call I got. It's been months, that's for sure.

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2010, 9:11 pm

I haven't received a personal phone call (other then family) for at least four years. I know the 4 years date because that is when I bought the house I live in and I have never received a personal call since I've been in this house.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 12:03 am

gosh, this thread reminds me of the episode from the old NBC telefilm "the martian chronicles" where this widower genius inventor character on mars constructs an android wife and daughter just to have companionship, and also constructs a whole town to entertain them all, as well as a automated robotic system to call him on the phone and ask him technical questions that he could answer to his knowledgeable best ability. so he was never lonely or bereft of social interaction, or a limited sort at least.
if i had that kind of smarts, i would do something along those lines. but i don't, so i just sit alone at home and nobody calls me but robotic phone solicitation services trying to get me to buy something. but it is cold comfort that at least i have not yet received any harrassing phone calls, IOW it is [at least] better to be left totally alone than to get unwanted/hostile attention.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 10:22 am

auntblabby wrote:
gosh, this thread reminds me of the episode from the old NBC telefilm "the martian chronicles" where this widower genius inventor character on mars constructs an android wife and daughter just to have companionship, and also constructs a whole town to entertain them all, as well as a automated robotic system to call him on the phone and ask him technical questions that he could answer to his knowledgeable best ability. so he was never lonely or bereft of social interaction, or a limited sort at least.

Heh, i remember writing a dark elf girl-bot that followed me around in Morrowind because i felt lonely...

johnners
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 May 2010, 10:28 pm

Same with me, especially my mobile phone. I got my first one about 8 years ago. I remember dithering in the shop wondering whether I actually needed one, but went for it anyway. It got to a point where when the phone actually went off, I ignored it because I had forgotten what the ringtone had sounded like!

My latest phone is the cheapest Nokia I could get, because I knew it would be just for texting and having it so my wife could get hold of me occasionally. I do get alot of calls on it, though - it would seem the last person who owned the number was called Troy! I became curious, and said to one caller "Who is this Troy character anyway?" He replied that he was someone who had money to invest, did I want to buy some shares!

You wonder what the point of having a phone is, and paying all that money as well.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 7:00 am

johnners wrote:
I do get alot of calls on it, though - it would seem the last person who owned the number was called Troy! I became curious, and said to one caller "Who is this Troy character anyway?" He replied that he was someone who had money to invest, did I want to buy some shares!

That's funny, man.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 3:56 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
I hate to admit it, but these days I get a few calls a week, or at least those that aren't family.

Do you call people very often?

It's a two way street.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 5:52 pm

Why don't you call them?

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 5:34 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Why don't you call them?

I have, but lately they aren't returning my calls. It's what prompted this thread.

u
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jun 2010, 8:26 pm

My family uses my phone more than I do. It's always, "Can I use your phone?" because theirs is charging or something, or it's just more convenient to borrow mine. I also pretty much only get calls from family, and they're usually not for me.

Yeah, I don't call people often. No one wants to talk to me. It makes them uncomfortable. I can tell.

Electricbassguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jun 2010, 12:44 am

The number of calls I've gotten has decreased greatly in the past year, but I'm going to say this: Quality over quantity.

I was the "aspie obsession" of some sociopath who manipulated others and pulled out the "autism card" anytime anyone called him on what he did to people. Having 18/20 "missed calls" being from the same person in a matter of days is creepy as hell, especially when each of those calls is a 3 minute voice-mail taking at me that I never listened to.

I'll admit, there are a couple people I wish I still talked to, but overall when the phone rings, it makes me nervous. I expect it to be something bad.