Page 3 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Telekon
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2011, 9:19 pm

It's an indication of low social status. If others perceive you as 'weird', they will not associate with you for fear of diminishing their own social status.

tangomike
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 10:13 pm

Being weird is a by product of human social evolution. Think back to the days of cavemen, Sumeria, Egypt and other places of anqituity...if you did not fit in and do the same things as everyone else you were left out and banished or outright killed. The social need to be similar has value because it allows stuff to get done because everyone is moving in the same direction on the same train of practical thought. If everyone back in the cavemen days were aspie I do not think the human race would have survived. This is why things and people that are different are in ways 'outcasted' in todays society. Others do not want to associate with weird people because like the poster before me said it lowers their own social status by association.

Nicholas1000x
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2011, 5:24 am

iv learnt it takes alot of energy when your down that your thinking your not as capable as the majority of people im not all that good as a communicator im rubbish in group talking and quite alot of the time when i want to speak it all breaks down because im aware of the workings behind it and im paying attention to it (ignore the cogs!) which does get me down sometimes

just be you it adds colour to things it makes you different and more interesting when the words flow :) when my speaking is flowing i sometimes say the most rediculous things and say it more positively than i really should :D sometimes i analyse what i said and feel terrible

but communication is spontanious in its birth and when its happening and your head will quickly know what to say and all your interestingness will show through so just be you :)

You dont have to regret what you said because it cant be changed and because the past doesnt exist just in your head and memory isnt real :)

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 11:32 pm

tangomike wrote:
Being weird is a by product of human social evolution. Think back to the days of cavemen, Sumeria, Egypt and other places of anqituity...if you did not fit in and do the same things as everyone else you were left out and banished or outright killed. The social need to be similar has value because it allows stuff to get done because everyone is moving in the same direction on the same train of practical thought. If everyone back in the cavemen days were aspie I do not think the human race would have survived. This is why things and people that are different are in ways 'outcasted' in todays society. Others do not want to associate with weird people because like the poster before me said it lowers their own social status by association.

You're absolutely right. It's ugly as ugly can be, but it's true.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 10:12 pm

I LIKE being weird, I don't mind being called it.Conversely,I've been called "cool" which really startled me! whoa!

Nicholas1000x
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2011, 4:55 am

Mackica wrote:
I LIKE being weird, I don't mind being called it.Conversely,I've been called "cool" which really startled me! whoa!

Iv been told nice things about me too Mackica i think it might be alright after all :)

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 6:03 am

Telekon wrote:
It's an indication of low social status. If others perceive you as 'weird', they will not associate with you for fear of diminishing their own social status.

That's funny considering the people who become successful in life are often those who are deemed "weird."

Nicholas1000x
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2011, 6:26 am

Asp-Z wrote:
Telekon wrote:

That's funny considering the people who become successful in life are often those who are deemed "weird."

the people that are thought of as weird can be shepherds :)

b9
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 9:18 am

Quote:
Why is being "weird" so bad?

because it is not correctly "wired".

("wired" is an anagram of "weird")

Telekon
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2011, 11:40 am

Asp-Z wrote:
Telekon wrote:

Successful at what? I don't think professional athletes (to take one successful class of people) are often a weird bunch. Certainly some of them are, but most of them seem socially well-adjusted.

Success can be achieved despite one's social status. Look at Mark Zuckerberg.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 11:46 am

jackbus01 wrote:
being weird is NOT bad. The problem is some narrow-minded people think that anyone's behavior that does not conform to their norms is somehow flawed.
Being a non-conformist is an advantage because you avoid herd mentality. Beware the sheeple.

you mean lemmings, since people will follow each other one after the other off of cliffs.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Kite89
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Feb 2011, 6:08 am

How can sheeps truly understand the sheperds that guide them. But alas, sheeps are many thus making the sheperd rather lonely and odd in a world full of sheeps. Sry if my english is not gd. It is not my 1st language.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 8:53 am

Quote:
Why is being "weird" so bad?

"weirdness" is seen through an aberration in the eye of the beholder.

"weird" means "not understood and worrisome" (to me). it bothers me not if others do not understand me.

they can just vacate my intention trajectory and remove any possibility of a collision.

Nicholas1000x
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2011, 3:30 pm

Kite89 wrote:
How can sheeps truly understand the sheperds that guide them. But alas, sheeps are many thus making the sheperd rather lonely and odd in a world full of sheeps. Sry if my english is not gd. It is not my 1st language.

if the shepherd were understood it would take away all there mystery and magic Kite89 :) i think it helps to learn conversation with people and odd makes the shepherd visible :) i do think everything can be learnt

Jessi_in_wonderland
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2011, 3:48 pm

It's not! People shouldn't judge others just because they don't conform to society. If everyone were the same, nothing would ever get done. no one would have ever had ideas for inventions. and sometimes when you're weird you can appreciate things that most people would take for granted. I love when I meet people who are "weird like me" because then I can actually have a meaningful conversation with them instead of feeling achingly bored.
"

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 3:12 am

some people think that if a person seems weird that they could possibly be a pedophile or some other unacceptable pervert.