Why is it not socially acceptable for me to not make friends

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jpunruh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Mar 2020, 10:02 pm

I find it very comfortable with the social circle I have. But people are always pushing me to get out of my comfort zone to meet new people. Or to go out with the friends I have. I prefer to socialize with my friends at work and when I get home I just want to be at home.

BlueOysterCultist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Mar 2020, 1:08 pm

Jpunruh wrote:
I find it very comfortable with the social circle I have. But people are always pushing me to get out of my comfort zone to meet new people. Or to go out with the friends I have. I prefer to socialize with my friends at work and when I get home I just want to be at home.

In my experience, most neurotypical people are congenitally incapable of minding their own business.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 1:17 pm

They might think that they are helping you by pushing you out of your comfort zone

They could be correct or wrong

That's the "why" that is in their favor

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2020, 8:17 am

Out of interest, who is pushing you to be more sociable. Your friends, or family members or other?

Artsygirl92
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Apr 2020, 8:56 pm

I dont get it either...people always want me to hang out with someone and I'm like I can pick my own friends...

One of my staff wants me to date a boy from my social skills group and always talks to me about it even though I said no I don't want to soooooooo many times....
Its very annoying....

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2020, 6:52 am

My family long since gave up on pushing me to make friends.

I have work colleagues and we know each other quite well but I maintain a firm boundary with this. Other that that there is my family and thats it. No friends and I don't yearn for them either.

When I was younger and still trying desperately to fit in a tried to cultivate a small circle of friends. What a pointless, exhausting waste if time. Now, I know better.

I have two acquaintances that I have known since primary school (so thats 55 years) - we meet up twice a year at most and thats enough for me.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community