Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 10:25 am

There is probably more misanthropes on here percentagewise than the general population. This will be partially a rant.

When instinct always prevails over instinct and ludicrous semantics over logkc, how can I not find humans frustrating? I hate how they need to rely on each other for emotional support as well when something is bugging them, or how women need to process information through socializing, or how people perceive noise and create an obnoxious amount of social rules.

I especially hate how most people seem to react in a group manner rather than individually, particularly in highs chool...when you have no mind for yourself and are considered the smartest creature on the planet (alright, by your own species) that's f*****g pathetic. People will choose emotions over logic and success over happiness. It is just ridiculous.

American society has become nothing but a collective of people following the Freudian principle of id. What do you need when you can just get pleasure? We have such an over-sexualized, crude culture without individuality that I can barely find anything mainstream to talk to others about and not hate myself for it later. Almost every trend in the past 50 years has been absolutely pathetic.

Then we have the bloggers and various other social network elites that just try to have 500 friends. You hacve to actually know about your friends' interests to call yourself a friend of them, but instead we emphasize BS stock question such as a "favorite food" or "favorite color." How does this help humans survive at all!? There's not even an evolutionary basis for it.

Then there's the fact that most don't ask question about what they're told by authority figures and the fact that even common courtesy is becoming obsolete. Whenever I am patient and polite I often am put on hold to the point where I have to be rude just to get what I want. I hate doing it and feel like a crappy person for having to do it, yet most don't feel shame.

Lastly, most people don't go past level 1 or 2 on the Kohlberg scale of morality. I find that incredibly embarrassing that we can live over 70 damned years and still not get the level where we follow "because a person in authority said to do so." The prison experiment Milgram did clearly shows how pathetic humans are at free will.

So here we are, a society that values free will and instills absolutely none in public education, a country that wants fear over information, and emotion over logic. Ah well, when the republicans warp the system enough to have it collapse on itself maybe people will see with their own damn eyes.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Bunnynose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 May 2012, 4:10 pm

I used to be a misanthrope too and have contempt for folks who weren't as smart as me.

But now that I'm firmly in my sixth decade of life, I have to come to believe that having friends -- people who know you and care for you -- is more important than my fear of being made fun of. And that just because other people may not be as smart as me is still not a good excuse for me to reject them before they can reject me.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 4:33 pm

SanityTheorist wrote:
Lastly, most people don't go past level 1 or 2 on the Kohlberg scale of morality. I find that incredibly embarrassing that we can live over 70 damned years and still not get the level where we follow "because a person in authority said to do so." The prison experiment Milgram did clearly shows how pathetic humans are at free will.

So here we are, a society that values free will and instills absolutely none in public education, a country that wants fear over information, and emotion over logic. Ah well, when the republicans warp the system enough to have it collapse on itself maybe people will see with their own damn eyes.

I think this just happens from time to time - there's a cyclical process going on. If you look back at the 20s and 30s it seems like it is very similar to today, in many ways. We'll either have some sort of global conflagration that kills millions or an economic breakdown that does the same, or both, and then things will shift back to a society that values probity, because the warped values which led to disaster will be seen for what they are, and the proponents discredited. But they'll just slowly reinvent themselves, changing language to suit and tossing lots of rubbish in the way to prevent association with their clearly flawed moral and intellectual predecessors. It's just the way of things.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 12:28 pm

Bunnynose wrote:
I used to be a misanthrope too and have contempt for folks who weren't as smart as me.

But now that I'm firmly in my sixth decade of life, I have to come to believe that having friends -- people who know you and care for you -- is more important than my fear of being made fun of. And that just because other people may not be as smart as me is still not a good excuse for me to reject them before they can reject me.

It doesn't come down to intelligence, it comes down to maturity. I'd rather have a nice, willing to learn idiot as a friend than a genius that just shows off his knowledge and condemns others. I am patient but most people are very dense though. This is more about their morality level and their inattentiveness than lack of general intelligence anyways...they can't help the fact they share 98% of their DNA with monkeys who fling poop at each other.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Bunnynose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 May 2012, 11:33 am

SanityTheorist wrote:
It doesn't come down to intelligence, it comes down to maturity. I'd rather have a nice, willing to learn idiot as a friend than a genius that just shows off his knowledge and condemns others. I am patient but most people are very dense though. This is more about their morality level and their inattentiveness than lack of general intelligence anyways...they can't help the fact they share 98% of their DNA with monkeys who fling poop at each other.

You're right about maturity. But the maturity in you is really in question. Because if you are smarter than most people, then you must eventually accept that with humility instead of coming off as arrogant and superior as well as downright contemptuous of those who are not as smart as you. Maturity and humility are two qualities that the truly gifted among us attain, mostly through spending genuine time with those who are less gifted. (i.e., through humiliation) Your above comment shows you put the onus on others to prove that they are your intellectual equals. When they are not, you condemn them. Why then would anyone want to be your friend?

I'm also in the 2%. But I have friends who are in the 1%. One of them cannot help himself from reminding me he is smarter than me. He is so used to being the "smartest man in the room." lol

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 1:56 pm

I think as an aspie, you would have the best chance of meeting friends over here and forget about most of the people that live in your area. Most social and extremely extroverted people have their hidden sides that most people don't see a lot, but we aspies have a sensor for it. It's best avoiding people that make you feel bad about yourself in a certain way. You should look after people that have the same problems and views on life as you.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 2:13 pm

at least you don't have to deal with different languages, communities etc
in my city there are people from different states
india has 27 different states, with their own different languages
there is total group mentality
and since i am minority community i am left alone listening to strange languages being spoken
overall i am left alone

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 8:39 pm

Bunnynose wrote:
SanityTheorist wrote:

You're right about maturity. But the maturity in you is really in question. Because if you are smarter than most people, then you must eventually accept that with humility instead of coming off as arrogant and superior as well as downright contemptuous of those who are not as smart as you. Maturity and humility are two qualities that the truly gifted among us attain, mostly through spending genuine time with those who are less gifted. (i.e., through humiliation) Your above comment shows you put the onus on others to prove that they are your intellectual equals. When they are not, you condemn them. Why then would anyone want to be your friend?

I'm also in the 2%. But I have friends who are in the 1%. One of them cannot help himself from reminding me he is smarter than me. He is so used to being the "smartest man in the room." lol

I see your point, but humans can still be very frustrating at times. I try to raise people to my level. FOr instance, I have been helping an immigrant learn English purely voluntarily. And I sympathize with the faults of others, but then it reminds me of traits I once had from the past I hated so I try to destroy it in them. It's not healthy, but it is my reaction to other people's faults...hopefully I can find a way past it in time.

philippepetit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 May 2012, 11:09 pm

imo if you are a misanthrope but make exceptions for other people/yourself you are just trying to justify anger at your social status philosophically. no offense

Bunnynose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 May 2012, 11:55 am

SanityTheorist wrote:
I see your point, but humans can still be very frustrating at times. I try to raise people to my level. FOr instance, I have been helping an immigrant learn English purely voluntarily. And I sympathize with the faults of others, but then it reminds me of traits I once had from the past I hated so I try to destroy it in them. It's not healthy, but it is my reaction to other people's faults...hopefully I can find a way past it in time.

You're kinda picking at a scab instead of letting the wound heal, aren't you?

Focusing on negative things ... You know, as humans we're allowed to have frailties and shortcomings. (And truly, our Asperger traits are definitely not normal. lol) The thing is to find solutions instead of focusing on problems. So if you're continually butting your head against your failures (that you see in other people), why are you mad at other people instead of yourself?

Sounds like you could learn to figure out the priorities in your life. Remember that the only person we can truly fix is ourselves. With all others, we can give guidance and suggestions and hope for the best.

Remember also that to live is to learn, to fail, and to try yet again. Or to give up. If we succeed, aren't we the better for it? And if we help others, aren't we also helping ourselves?

Last edited by Bunnynose on 31 May 2012, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 11:55 am

philippepetit wrote:
imo if you are a misanthrope but make exceptions for other people/yourself you are just trying to justify anger at your social status philosophically. no offense

Some human traits are very prevalant and annoy me because of their inherent destructiveness. We are born of a blade and slice at constructs as kids and teenagers.