Have you ever been mistaken for another race, ethnicity?

Page 4 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

DialAForAwesome
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 5:58 pm

I've been mistaken for being a "black Asian" sooooo many times I lost count. It's mostly because of my eyes.

Lyon
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Sep 2012, 8:29 pm

I've been called everything... Mexican, Filipino, First Nations/Native, Indian, or any combination of those.

I'm actually East Asian, but I just have tanned skin... oh well, it's not too much of a bother. Sometimes it's pretty amusing to see people try to guess.

apostolos
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Sep 2012, 2:14 pm

I am Greek. Sorry for any mistakes.

I've been mistaken for a Spaniard when I was in France, once. (This isn't uncommon, as far as I know)

In Greece, there was a guy on the bus. He was staring at me. I thought: "What the h..?" but I didn't pay any further attention.
Half an hour later I saw the same guy on the metro. He came close. He told me that I reminded him a friend of his. He was Iranian. :lol:

Parasol
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 7:14 pm

I have been mistaken for being white (I'm mixed) which is not as bad. People also thought I was European or from the US.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 8:40 pm

Used to wear my hair in bangs like a British rockstar.
Maybe listening to the Who and watching lotsa Monty Python effected my speech- but fellow Americans I met often thought I was a Brit ("you look AND sound like one").

One young lady customer on the phone of my store asked if I was Canadian "because my boyfriend is Canadian, you talk him"- I guess Canadians have a kinda intermediate-between-american-and-british accent.

Counting change gets boring in a long day behind the cash register, so in one store I worked at I would count in Spanish under my breath just to relieve boredom. A couple of hispanic workmen I served thought I was a fellow hispanic and one said to the other "see, he's one." I had almost black hair and a dark mustache back then. And some folks said that I could "pass for Latin".

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 9:38 pm

Some people have thought I was Asian. Most people think I'm Polish, and they're right. They tend to not notice that I'm also Native American, but that might be why they think I look Asian.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 5:07 am

One of my grandparents was black, one was full native American, and the other two were Jews/white.

When people meet my family they sometimes ask if I'm adopted. People have said things like "But your hair is perfect!" or "You have such a nice complexion!"(I don't even know what that means in regards to my heritage?) or tell me I look "so white" as if they are complimenting me.

Yeah though, I'm not annoyed that people think I'm entirely white, by looking at me it's impossible to tell I'm not. I just get annoyed when people all but congratulate me for how white I look.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2016, 4:47 am

People used to say I looked "British" now they assume I'm of middle eastern descent. My features changed as I got older, which is weird.