Anyone else have no interest in socializing?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 5:14 am

I love small talk. :)

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

ErwinNL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2016, 5:27 am

I was talking to someone in the chat last week about the difference between Autism and being Schizoid. He or she mentioned that people with an ASD want to make friends, but don't know howto, and people with SPD don't care to. Schizoids also don't have the need for routine and special interests.

I have been diagnosed with ASD and have obsessions, very limited- but extreme interests but I don't really care for socializing or making friends. I love being alone and only "use" people around me for information or to get tasks done. I am not interested in people around me but I do try to be nice and ask how they are doing (faking it basically). I did have one or two friends when I was younger but we shared the same interests and, in retrospect, I have no clue what went on in their life.

What I am thinking about all the time is if my lack of interest in socializing is a unconscious defense mechanism because its so hard and exhausting for me or that I genuinely feel no need to do so. I don't remember a time when I felt lonely and wanted friends to play with but I do now know that I need people around me for support but that is a very recent epiphany and has nothing to do with wanting to be social, just for practical reasons.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 12:59 am

ErwinNL wrote:
What I am thinking about all the time is if my lack of interest in socializing is a unconscious defense mechanism because its so hard and exhausting for me or that I genuinely feel no need to do so. I don't remember a time when I felt lonely and wanted friends to play with but I do now know that I need people around me for support but that is a very recent epiphany and has nothing to do with wanting to be social, just for practical reasons.

I kind of feel the same way... except I do get pleasure from socializing and it's really hurt me to not be more effective at it. I did a thread a while back about how anxious I get if I go more than a few hours without being around people. I don't have the ability to go for quality so I kind of have to go for quantity. It's a really raw deal because I do still get that "drained" feeling from it I think most of us do.

So I'm thrown back and forth often several times a day between "painfully lonely" and "just can't do people right now".

Noura4eva
Toucan
Toucan

17 Feb 2016, 3:42 pm

I have no interest in socializing.
It's not that I don't like people or that I don't understand them ( Mostly ) I just don't feel the need.
As a child I wanted friends , but struggled because I was bossy and moody and it pissed the other kids off.
At high school I changed school 5 times and was bullied where I lived and also at school which made me miserable and
eventually suicidal.I did make some nice friends, but when I changed schools I didn't miss them. I just got in touch with old school friends via facebook and some want to meet up, but I couldn't think of anything worse. I talk to my neighbour occasionally, and call my 2 sisters every few weeks. other than my kids and husband, that's my whole world right there.
Except for my sons carers who take him out 5 day a week. I speak to them briefly. This is more than enough social stimulation for me. Even sometimes i feel overwhelmed when my kids talk when i'm in a spaced mood. I am happy in my bubble. :lol:
I have not been formally diagnosed as being ASD, although I am considering it. And scored highly on the AQ test.