Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 3:33 pm

Kalika wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Kalika wrote:
Only had an incident like this once - it involved a male friend who lived on the other side of the country, and the short version is that he got really upset when I told him that I couldn't afford to keep helping him out financially, especially since he wasn't paying me back or even talking about that. (the guy had some issues with depression and drug usage)
Now that you mention it ... there does seem to be some kind of correlation between financial dependency and alcohol/drug dependency ... and teen pregnancy ... and low intelligence ... and violent activity ... and criminal convictions ... and dropping out of school ... and an overall lack of ambition ... and ... and ... and ...
Sad thing was, this was NOT a guy with low intelligence, he was just making some poor choices at the time. And admittedly, I don't know for certain he was using drugs again when I was lending him money, just something mutual friends had suspected)

I'd bet money that at least one of those factors is involved.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 6:59 pm

You cannot buy friends.
I only give money to people who are already my friends. Or things that I think are a good cause.

I don't loan money. For a start, I don't have enough money to give a significant loan. Secondly, my friends and I will regularly spend small amounts on each other if one of us doesn't have enough cash at the time, and it all works out pretty well in the end, since all of my friends are ethical AND the type of people who won't allow themselves to be used.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

accountinglad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2014, 3:24 am

never lend money unless your certain your going to get it back

Kalika
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jan 2014, 6:09 pm

accountinglad wrote:
never lend money unless your certain your going to get it back

This I agree with....the experience I've mentioned in this thread is the reason I don't lend money to friends anymore.