Who else NEVER had a close friend in childhood?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

300series
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 8:44 pm

During my childhood, I never had any close friends. Whenever I went to school, I was always around my classmates, but I would just leave them alone & not say anything to any of them, or ever participate in anything they did. During lunch time or recess time, I would always just walk around the field all alone & pace, never saying anything or playing with any one. My teachers became concerned about me being anti-social & informed my parents. I also never played with my 2 brothers or any of the children who lived in the neighbourhood. My parents never understood why I was this way, so they sent me to a clinical psychologist when I was nine years old, who diagnosed me with Asperger's syndrome. A year later, when I was ten years old, my parents took me out of the mainstream public school I attended & transferred me to a small private school for special needs students.

I did very well academically at the private school, but I continued to be a loner & never made any effort to make friends there. Sometimes, students would talk to me & attempt to start friendships with me, and I would be nice back to them, but I was never interested being friends with them. When I was 12 years old, my parents signed me up for an after-school group for boys with Asperger's syndrome. It was a very small group with four or five other boys, but I still had trouble making being social with any of them, and I had trouble participating in their group activities & never talked. I was in that group until I was 16 years old, when my mother told me I did not have to go any more. I had been attending the group for a long time, and it got repetitive, and I was not getting anything out of it, so I dropped out of the group.

I attended the private school until the age of 14, when I was enrolled in a small private high school for special needs students. My teachers there worked very hard with me to be more sociable & they set social goals for me to improve, and I made progress to some degree. During this time, I started to change & started actually wanting to make friends. I had one classmate who liked me & wanted to be my friend, and we would sometimes get together outside of school, but being his friend caused me a lot of stress & anxiety because I still wanted to just be by myself & hang around alone. He graduated from the school a year before I graduated, and we lost contact until we re-connected online last year. There was also a female classmate that I had a crush on when I was 17 years old, but she was not interested in me, so I felt really sad during my senior year there. After graduation, I never kept in contact with any of my classmates.

When I graduated from that high school, I wanted to go to college, but my parents made me attend a transition programme for special needs students. I finally made my first real friend at that school, and I was thrilled about it. She lived somewhat far away from me, and my parents used to take me to her house, and we would also get together at the mall near me & go shopping. We stayed friends until I was 26 years old when I dumped her. I always had a crush on her, and I thought we were boyfriend & girlfriend, but she had been lying to me the entire time I knew her. After we broke up, she faced an uncertain future & died of pneumonia less than 2 years later. She was only 28 years old. I later lamented the fact that I could not have stayed a loyal friend to her during her final days.

Today, making friends is still one of the hardest things for me to do, and I am still reclusive with very few friends. I attend Meetups for adults with Asperger's syndrome, and I hope that I will meet some people that I will become good friends with.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 6:27 am

As I said, I had a close childhood friend who I associated with that lost her interest in me when she turned 12. Why? She got into boys upon turning 12 and meeting her first puppy love boyfriend in 1996. After that, she got very rebellious and became a bad influence along with turning into a bully. Yet, she had always had a mean streak in her and did some weird things during our friendship. She also kept manipulating me by saying that her other friends all hated me.

Then I played with two sisters who were one year apart when living in a neighborhood with lots of other children who were my age. Though I was closed with the younger of the two, I was supposed to attend two of her birthdays which never worked out. After that, she refused to invite me to her birthday though I invited her to several of them. It was
1. My other friends didn't want you there
2. "Guess what? I had my birthday yesterday." I asked if she forgot and it was "I could only have three guests."

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 1:18 pm

I never had a close friend in my childhood, only acquaintances and casual friends. I do actually feel like I missed out on something. Now even in adulthood I don't have a close friend... actually I downgraded to having no friends.(though that's because I moved right after I graduated high school.)

It was very hard keeping up with my casual friends and acquaintances. I also had interests outside of what every kid had, sports and some celebrity.(at least where I lived that's all they talked about... also when I was a kid that was when people like Usher, Tupac and Beyonce was starting to get really famous. Actually I think Tupac was already famous.)

That's what I had to hear about a lot and I didn't care about sports and neither one of them!(maybe Beyonce a little.)

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 6:11 pm

I forgot to mention that I have other close friends

1. My dad was friends with someone who he grew up with and I was friends with their son and I hoped that we would grow up and get married which didn't work out because we grew apart

2. I was close friends with two-second cousins who were also sisters because their mom was close with my mom. We were joined at the hip too and we grew apart but started getting along once we became adults but not close. I am close to their mom, who's my first cousin.

ehymw
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 12:05 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
I had close friends in childhood but they never stuck around with me and especially after we all hit puberty. Suddenly I was this weird kid to talked to herself and about Disney things. I think the only closest friend that I have had the longest relationship with is a woman who drove me to school during my Jr year of high school who I still talk with over the phone and write to.

I sometimes envy DJ and Kimmy on Full House because those characters have life long friends in addition to hearing about real life relationships because my closest childhood friend abandoned me after she met her first boyfriend.

Well this sounds familiar.

My high school friends all but legally disowned me.

I was blessed some of my college dorm mates seem to get me though admittedly I don't get them some times.

.....I hate the loneliness I feel right now.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 7:49 am

I have friends but most of them are people who are on the spectrum while others have other issues. I also have a few friends at work who I get along with really well.