What did you do today to look less autistic?

Page 4 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 11:52 am

I sent a silly, friendly text with a positive tone, just to touch base with friends. I think it will help smooth over some rough edges. I don't really understand why, but people find it important. I also find it important, even though I often overlook that kind of thing.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 1:43 pm

I tend to be concentrated in my activities and in my thoughts, sometimes quite far from the world around me.
Today I exercised "presence" in many ways.

I also tend to walk very fast to reach my destination as quick as possible, passing everyone in the street (I must look like a :albino: walking that fast), I get upset when someone is on my way, slowing me down.
Today I crossed a very crowded place and forced myself to adapt my speed and walk calmly looking at stands here and there.

I also let an accointance give me a tap on the back, I stayed, I smiled but after some seconds, I couldn't help running away :salut:

specialsauce
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2017, 6:33 am

I do that too.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 8:55 am

Today I made efforts to be very polite.
A politeness that comes from the heart. A kind of politeness that touches people more than the politeness I usually see, made to appear nice, which always sounds a little dissonant.

It's a pity I couldn't say "good-bye", my throat was like stuck. Quite dissonant as well, :( will breathe deeply and say it next time. :)

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

Tonight, I was walking, exercising "presence": feeling my feet on the floor, conscious of my body, feel and hear my breath, walk relax and feel the energy in my body.

I was not sure at all how I was coming out... and a guy in the queue at the shop told me "You are a flourished / fulfilled (not sure of English word) woman." So that's how I was coming out :) :) :)

Btw, I find it such a nice way to approach a woman.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 11:54 am

Today my company was moving to new offices, quite a challenge for me. I was feeling bad, I was angry, I was afraid, feeling unable to adapt, started to complain aggressively, then started to cry, all in one hour. :shameonyou:

But finally I could make the move to a positive mind, I could concentrate on my work, see things positively (and it is indeed), even chat with colleagues, even speak about a project to a colleague.

I'm happy I could overcome the first very bad start and end the day smiling :)

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 12:14 am

I paid attention to the pace of others.

It seems to have improved the flow of information, in addition to feeling good. Quirky becomes more palatable at a comfortable rhythm, maybe.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 12:24 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
I paid attention to the pace of others.

Very nice, I remember I have read it in a sociology book that if you take the rhythm of the other person (speech, movements), you are already half friends and it improves a lot communication.

I will train as well. :)

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 12:33 pm

Today I understood (a little too late, but still) that when someone asks "What do you do for lunch?"
It doesn't mean they want to know what you do, it's an indirect invite. I feel a bit stupid cause I had always understood it literally..., giving literal answer. I resolved to use this nice sentence to invite a person for lunch soon.

Also, I am used to make jokes all the time (sometimes sarcarstic); in order to avoid discussion as it is difficult for me to have a "normal" discussion. So today, I also paid attention not to make too many jokes and speak kindly instead. Far from perfect, but I could control this a little and it makes me happy :)

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 6:24 pm

I joked with a group of guys at the bar in the grocery store. Yeah, that's a thing now. I admit I freaking love it. Fred Myers is a huge everything store, just smaller. On my first visit, I was on the verge of shutting down after just selecting a couple of housewares and mapping that section. Running on fumes.

Then, I see a row of taps. A craft beer bar in the store with a great price on growler fills or pints! One midafternoon pint, and the shopping stress evaporated. Perishables are just on the other side, and it was easier to focus and buy more fresh produce, which I find challenging for some reason. :lol:

So I want make a good impression there every time, feel comfortable there, and have a hope that I no longer need to dread the weekly shopping trip!

I felt a little anxious today, but saw a chance for a good joke at no one's expense and it went well which relaxed me. I didn't even have a beer today; it did enough to calm me to know that I could.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 12:14 pm

Today I asked a colleague if she is happy with the move, if it takes less time for her to come, etc. She is not a very engaging person, but I showed interest in how she feels, which I rarely do.

I also sent 2 sms to say just "Hello, how are you? and take some news."

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2017, 1:41 pm

Today there was a party at work, it was hell, loud music and socializing during hours. I was feeling very uncomfortable but still I made the effort to speak to a lot of people going from one group to the other. I'm dead tired but I did it.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2017, 1:42 pm

I showed my interest in the things and lives of others.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 12:34 pm

I really want people to know how much effort we put into this stuff. However, I don't want to tell them and it might come off as self-pitying.

When I make it look easy, it merely qualifies as normal.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 12:55 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
I really want people to know how much effort we put into this stuff. However, I don't want to tell them and it might come off as self-pitying.

When I make it look easy, it merely qualifies as normal.

I relate so much to this. Every word.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 1:43 pm

Nothing, I'll be whoever I want to be, I don't care if others judge.