What did you do today to look less autistic?

Page 3 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 8:14 pm

Stopped myself from taking my irritably with noises going on at the dinner table out on other people. I just stared at my plate and tried not to appear annoyed and complain of the noise. I know its not their fault I overreact to erratic noises and talking. It's just so agitating that I end up snapping at others when they talk to me when I'm feeling overloaded.

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Mar 2017, 9:58 am

I stopped caring whether I look autistic or not!

My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200

I am very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 10:09 am

^Sometimes that seems like the best strategy. If I dance autistically, I will dance enthusiastically autistically and pull it off!

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 2:38 pm

Today, there was a meeting at work where we were all presenting our projects.

I have paid attention to what others were presenting, I put myself in their place, and I paid attention when it was my turn to talk. (not perfect yet ;) ).

I could participated to the conversation. I could make interesting comments to contribute to their projects, calmly and self-assured.

I am so happy how the meeting went on, much better than usual. :)

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 2:41 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
I gave hugs to my housemates. I felt that they would like more affirmation and hugs, so I tried it and it seems correct. Also feels lovely to me.

That is something very difficult to do for me (to give hugs, kiss or shake hands). I never do it... I will try it one day when I feel it is convenient.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 2:54 am

I tried smiling even though I didn't have any particular reason to smile.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 9:25 am

LaetiBlabla wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
I gave hugs to my housemates. I felt that they would like more affirmation and hugs, so I tried it and it seems correct. Also feels lovely to me.

That is something very difficult to do for me (to give hugs, kiss or shake hands). I never do it... I will try it one day when I feel it is convenient.

It may grow on you, once you adjust to the sensation.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 11:35 am

I am getting involved with two cat cafes where I can talk to other people who are just as obsessed with cats as I am.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 4:31 pm

Today there was a long meeting, I have participated a lot and I have struggled to wait it was my turn to speak. I took advantage of the time to know how I would present my ideas before speaking.

I have also started to pay attention to the tone of my voice, that it sounds calm.

I have made eye contacts when saying hello.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 2:19 am

I got very happy today and had an autism moment. All things considered, I did okay.

When I say happy, let me be specific. I got useful operating information. That's been too rare lately, so in addition to my intrinsic joy over information, I feel safer. With that kind of perfect storm happening, I know I should take care.

I live, therefore I make mistakes. Maybe if we never made mistakes we'd live forever? Would it be a life worth living? Maybe I can finish out the day feeling less autistic by letting go of perfectionism.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 2:09 pm

At the cat cafe, after my session in the cat lounge, I sat in the coffee shop area to drink a sparkling water and take interest in the lives of others and have other conversations outside of cats.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 2:20 pm

My office is moving soon to new permises. Today, as I arrived at the office, I had nearly a panic attack when I saw all the moving boxes piled up in the corridors, I was feeling very bad. I hate change.

I went out 5 minutes to calm down. I came back and I have made a special effort to smile, relax and concentrate on the things that haven't changed. I have also filled myself some boxes. When you participate to change, you feel less like a victim of change. Though, I think I must have appeared very much stressed despite my efforts, but I could reduce my anxiety a little.

Also, I am often absent of external world, concentrating on my personal concerns / interests / objectives. Today, I have made special efforts to concentrate on what is happening around me, especially on people around me.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 12:40 pm

Today I concentrated on remaining calm in an agitated environment.
I responded calmly to a someone who was trying to make me feel guilty for no reason (or because she had to move her lazy ass while I was sitting and working on my computer).

I also responded to someone who was trying to make fun of me. I used Barron Cruz' advice: say something to make it even worse. And it has worked very well, it just made the person laugh.

I don't like to touch people. It makes me feel uncomfortable.
Today, I have shaked 10 hands! (I was not obliged to) and please, with a nice smile :) It was not so terrific after all...
I also tried not to react bad when someone suddenly gave me a little hug and kissed me.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 8:43 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
I am getting involved with two cat cafes where I can talk to other people who are just as obsessed with cats as I am.
Really? I'd love to frequent one of those if there was one near me. Unfortunately there isn't. I miss being around cats but my lease says no pets.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 9:54 am

LaetiBlabla wrote:
I also tried not to react bad when someone suddenly gave me a little hug and kissed me.

That's excellent! It's nice to know that someone has those kinds of warm feelings about you, right? The sensation really grew on me once I got over the surprise (shock, even).

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 11:52 am

I sent a silly, friendly text with a positive tone, just to touch base with friends. I think it will help smooth over some rough edges. I don't really understand why, but people find it important. I also find it important, even though I often overlook that kind of thing.