People getting mad at me when I don't understand a joke

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

SophieBlackHeart
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 May 2017, 11:06 am

Family and people in general but mainly family. I don't get a joke so they roll their eyes at me saying "I'm just kidding, god no one can even play around with you"
You would think people who have know me all my life would understand by now but nope I tried explaining to them and they say " you could act normal if you wanted to, that's probably why you can't make friends because you don't kid around."

I'm just pissed right now needed to rant you think out of all the people in the world the people that have grown up with you would understand but nope! :cry:

shadowtag
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 May 2017, 1:49 pm

I'm sorry you experienced that, it can be really frustrating...

As frustrating as it is though, I think, in the heat of the moment, when you are displeased with someone, you can initially forget and just want to vent your emotions, without thinking for a moment about the whole situation.

Perhaps your family wants you to join in with them, joking with each other being a possible sign of social intimacy, perhaps in a desire to relate to you and you to them, especially since you are their family member.

However, since you have trouble understanding their jokes, they may feel like they can't relate to you well and can't be as intimate around you, which can feel uncomfortable, especially if you are around someone a lot.