Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 6:27 am

-When someone asks multiple questions at once, then when you answer one of those questions they proceed to ask even more questions. Despite the fact you haven't answered all of the previous questions yet.

Should I go back and answer the previous questions, or are they now irrelevant to the conversation? If I just leave them then it doesn't feel right, but if I attempt to answer them then the conversation gets jumbled since the person now thinks I am answering the second set of questions and not the first.

Maybe I should number my responses? Or I could respond to the sets of questions all at once in a mixed up mess? Perhaps I should respond by making it clear which question I am replying to such as "In response to the first question" or something. By the time I have replied to all the questions they have usually forgotten that they asked.

Also, when you ask someone "Was that sarcastic?" and they sarcastically reply no. Well, now I'm more confused. :? Then it continues....

Me:Are you being sarcastic about not being sarcastic?

Person: Well, no.

Me: So, you are?

Person: Yes!

Me: Was that yes sarcastic?

Person: No.

Me: I'm confused. :lol: :x

Got any conversation pet peeves?

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 7:31 am

Yes when people you barely know ask what kind of job my spouse does. It's how people size each other up. Keep walking.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 7:43 am

Just answer the most relevant questions. If more info is wanted, and is important to them, they’ll ask again.

If somebody wants to be sarcastic upon first meeting, it’s usually not worth it to continue talking with this person.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 8:00 am

It’s a little irritating when people ask what my service dog is for. It’s bad etiquette. I realize they’re just curious, though, and don’t know it’s inappropriate.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 8:24 am

It's rude to ask about a service animal.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 8:59 am

1. When someone asks me a question and I try to answer them the best I can they reply with "No, that's not my question. I just find that to be so rude and disrespectful.
2. When someone asks a lot of empty questions one right after the other
3. Someone has the nerve to tell me that a friend, family member doesn't like me
4.When people seem to make a compliment but put "Huh" at the end of the sentence. For example, I am talking to them about finding a dress as a discount store. They make a comment like "They have nice clothes there huh?"
5. People who make assumptions on you who don't know anything about your income and blurt out, "Oh I don't think you can afford that.
6. When people go "Oh wow" in this phony voice. I usually respond with "Yeah wow!"

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 9:07 am

No gap in a convo.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 9:21 am

When I am having a conversation with someone and another person comes over and takes over the conversation.

Never getting beyond the "hi, how are you" obligatory greeting.

When a person will only interact with you when no one else is around.

When a person only shows interest in what I have to say if they think I will bag on someone they don't like.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 9:34 am

When someone says...

... "ah-PLIK-able" instead of "APP-lik-able" (applicable)

... "AR-tik" instead of "ARK-tik" (arctic)

... "ex-PRESS-oh" instead of "es-PRESS-oh" (espresso)

... "GEE-ro", "GUY-ro", "JEE-ro", or "JAI-ro" instead of "YEE-ro" (the greek pita sandwich called 'gyro')

... "feb-YEW-airy" instead of "feb-ROO-airy" (February)

... "HYPER-bowl" instead of "high-PER-buh-lee" (hyperbole)

... "LYE-berry" instead of "lye-BRER-ee" (library)

... "miss-CHEE-vee-us" instead of "MISS-chiv-us" (mischievous)

... "NEESH" instead of "NITCH" (niche)

... "noo-KYEW-ler" instead of "noo-KLEER" (nuclear)

... "OFF-ten" instead of "OFF-en" (often)

... "PRAY-lewd" instead of "PRELL-yewd" (prelude)

... "rih-ZHEEM" instead of "RAY-zheem" (regime)

... "SHER-bert" instead of "sher-BET" (sherbet)

... "sore-BET" instead of "sore-BAY" (sorbet)

... "SUIT" instead of "SWEET" (suite)

... "STAH-tuss" instead of "STAY-tuss" (status)

... "TRAN-zee-ent" instead of "TRAN-zhent" (transient)

:wall:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 10:43 am

ladyelaine wrote:
When I am having a conversation with someone and another person comes over and takes over the conversation.

Never getting beyond the "hi, how are you" obligatory greeting.

When a person will only interact with you when no one else is around.

When a person only shows interest in what I have to say if they think I will bag on someone they don't like.

One the first one, I had heard the best way to handle people like that is to look at that person and make sure they see you constantly blinking at them.

The last one are either signs that:
A. That person is deeply embarrassed because maybe that group doesn't like you and is scared of being rejected
B. The person is two-faced

Either way, that is never good

Other pet peeves of mine

1. When you call someone only to have them tell you that "Can you call back within the next 15 minutes I have such and such to do.
2. When people aren't really interested in you or what you have to say so when you tell them it's "That's cool."
3.When one tries to network with someone and they have a mediocre attitude. "Oh Okay."
4. When you keep trying to network with someone who you think can help you get what you need, they blow you off with "I'm sorry to be rude but I have such and such to do. Can we walk later?'

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 12:20 pm

@Fnord.

I tend to find that in a far amount of cases, it's just a difference in accent. For instance, take the word scone. I am used to pronouncing it in a way that rhymes with "con" but the most common way it is said where I live makes it rhyme with "cone". This is because I moved areas a few years ago, and in my home town it was said with a silent e.

There are a lot of dialect and accent differences in England, I can't go to a neighbouring village without stumbling upon some sort of difference in language. Even certain places that are really close together somehow sound completely different! It's almost baffling. Hmm...I'd take a solid bet that the way I pronounce things would probably annoy you, Fnord.

Interestingly enough, there have been times where I have gone to the South and people have acted snobby because apparently I sound "Too Northern" (often the assumption made is that if you have a Northern accent then you are quite rough and unsophisticated, some people even refused to talk to me because of the accent) but places further North think I'm from the South. :lol: I guess my accent is just rejected by both sides in the North/ South divide argument.

Let's have a look through the list....

Fnord wrote:
"LYE-berry" instead of "lye-BRER-ee" (library)

Personally I think of it as "Lie-brie" in terms of pronunciation. Damn lying French Cheese! :lol:

(So a pronunciation that rhymes with "I agree").

Fnord wrote:
"GEE-ro", "GUY-ro", "JEE-ro", or "JAI-ro" instead of "YEE-ro" (the greek pita sandwich called 'gyro')

Never seen this word before, but if I were to try and pronounce it then it would sound like "Jer row" (As in rowing a boat). Jer like in the name Jeremy. YEE-ro wouldn't have occurred to me.

Fnord wrote:
"AR-tik" instead of "ARK-tik" (arctic)

Yeah I say it the same way, "Ar-tick/Our (Aw)- Tick". Or is that different?

Fnord wrote:
"sore-BET" instead of "sore-BAY" (sorbet)

I also say it "Sore- BAY".

Fnord wrote:
"rih-ZHEEM" instead of "RAY-zheem" (regime)

Zheem pronounced by me would sound like "See- heem" or "seam" as in a seam on a dress. Regime to me would be said "Re-(as in about to say red) Jean/Jeam".

Last edited by Lost_dragon on 10 Jul 2018, 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 12:26 pm

I obtained those pronunciations from a dictionary.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 12:40 pm

We can't go busting people for how they talk......

As for the rude people who quit talking to you the minute someone else comes around.....I just walk away and write the person off.

Off to find,a gluten free veggie jairo

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 12:42 pm

Fnord wrote:
I obtained those pronunciations from a dictionary.

Well your dictionary didn't account for National differences. If I said some of those things with those pronunciations where I live, people would look at me as if I just grew an extra head. :lol:

My point is, there are a lot of different accents out there and it seems silly to limit a word to just one way of saying it.

By that logic, I guess everyone in England should just speak Queen's English/ Received Pronunciation then. Since that's the official standard. I can assure you though, that not everyone does. :D

Personally I am not interested in how something should be said, but the reality of it.

I rather enjoy the diversity of accents and dialects, even though I find some of them confusing.

Furthermore, I would rather that than have only one way to say everything, sounds rather dull if you ask me. :P

Last edited by Lost_dragon on 10 Jul 2018, 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 12:46 pm

I like your eloquence on the matter, Lost Dragon.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 12:50 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I like your eloquence on the matter, Lost Dragon.

Thank you, Kraftie. :)