Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Shpadoinkle
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Dec 2008, 4:04 pm

pensieve wrote:
Shpadoinkle wrote:
Since then, I started taking (under medical advisement, of course) this wonderful stuff from a company called KAL called "Beyond St. John's Wort."

Do you need a prescription for that?
St. Johns Wort isn't really working for me.

In the USA, there's no prescription required, BUT I ran it by my psychologist (Dr. Robert Vitaletti in Denver, CO). He said "OK, but drink a lot of water with it."

This stuff is way more than St. John's Wort: It has all the B-vitamins in it to help your brain build all the right neurotransmitters, correct your reuptake, etc.

It's about $8/month. I get it here:
http://vitanetonline.com/description/98 ... %27s-Wort/

I'm really excited about it. I've been on it since 1999. It makes being an Aspie a lot more tolerable, and I'd say I feel connected to other people more than I ever did before. People at work still think I'm weird, but my boss can't complain because I catch things NO ONE else does, and all my patients just think I'm nice instead of weird.

This is the only other thing I take, and I think it helps a lot, too:
www.chews4health.com/rathertasty
(I have to be honest here: I'm a distributor for Chews4Health because I like it.)

The bottom line is: No one notices I have the social skills of Mr. Data, because I'm relaxed and things don't bother me like they used to.

Patrick

Taonuviel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Dec 2008, 9:40 pm

that's me... flat affect. all the time. always see that written in my notes from psych practitioners. and i would get that from people when i was fine- "smile more!" what, i didn't look ok? i was ok...
yeah.

Shpadoinkle
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Dec 2008, 10:20 pm

Taonuviel wrote:
that's me... flat affect. all the time. always see that written in my notes from psych practitioners. and i would get that from people when i was fine- "smile more!" what, i didn't look ok? i was ok...
yeah.

People used to say that all the time to me: At work, at the bar, even while in an innertube floating on the river (?!?). "Smile!" I wanted to fight them! In the mouth! With my boot!

BUT no one has said that to me since I started taking that Beyond St. John's Wort. It's a fact. It's been since 1999.

Patrick

Shadow50
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Dec 2008, 1:26 am

Hovis wrote:
Yes - when people say, "Come on - cheer up!" when, as far as you were aware, you were just presenting a normal, neutral expression.

My father tells me that I look 'hostile'. If he perceives anything short of doing as he does, walking around with an inane grin on your face, greeting total strangers like they're your best friend, as 'hostile', then I honestly think that it's him who has the problem in this case - severe paranoia. And he must see an awful lot of 'hostile' people each day, because plenty of NTs don't go that far.

My sentiments exactly. I can't stand the artificial grin that so many people wear.

However, I'm not looking for something to take to make me any different. If others don't like it they can leave. The people who are important to me don't seem to mind at all.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 3:16 pm

It definitely makes it difficult to read me. In fact, the only person who can consistently read me is nearly blind. However, this has actually served me well. It (apparently) makes me somewhat mysterious to people, and has actually given me a certain level of atypical charisma. Granted, this part only seems to have developed in the last two years or so. Before that, I was just that wierd quiet guy.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 11:27 pm

Beyond St. John's... That sounds interesting. I started taking St. John's in conjunction with a B6 Mega-vitamin about a week and a half ago. I have been in better spirits and more sociable since I started. I'm not sure if it is actually working or if it is just a placebo effect. I guess that time will tell.