Storm Chasing Group Offers New Autism Tour (Marketwire)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MrMark
Abstract Data Type
Abstract Data Type

17 Jan 2008, 1:38 pm

Storm Chasing Group Offers New Autism Tour

ARLINGTON, TX--(MARKET WIRE)--Jan 16, 2008 -- Texas-based Tempest Tours, Inc., a company known for intercepting dozens of tornadoes since beginning operations in 2001, has announced it will offer a special tour for guests with autism (ASD - autism spectrum disorder). The company calls the 6-day July tour 'Maddy's Tour,' named for the nine-year-old daughter of Tempest president and founder Martin Lisius. Maddy has ASD.

We created this expedition after receiving contacts from parents of children with autism who were curious about our tours," said Lisius. "Maddy is beautiful and bright. She and all ASD kids deserve the same exposure to new experiences that other children receive. Maddy loves to learn how things work. Storm chasing is a complex and rewarding process that will challenge any child's mind and ignite imagination."

Maddy's Tour is open to anyone, but is especially suited for young people with autism. "It offers parents and ASD children the opportunity to enjoy a learning adventure together within an environment that is sensitive to their special needs," Lisius said.

more...

- Emerson

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 2:13 pm

Neither the article nor the company's website offer any detailed information on how the tour caters to autistic guests. This makes me wonder if the tour is actually designed differently or if it is just a way to separate autistic kids from NT guests who don't want to be bothered by "socially unacceptable" behavior.

It would be cool if it actually was designed differently. They could provide lengthy scientific fact sheets for the tornado-obsessed AS kids and they could somehow emphasize the pleasant sensory aspects of storm chasing.

MrMark
Abstract Data Type
Abstract Data Type

17 Jan 2008, 2:26 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
Neither the article nor the company's website offer any detailed information on how the tour caters to autistic guests. This makes me wonder if the tour is actually designed differently or if it is just a way to separate autistic kids from NT guests who don't want to be bothered by "socially unacceptable" behavior.

It would be cool if it actually was designed differently. They could provide lengthy scientific fact sheets for the tornado-obsessed AS kids and they could somehow emphasize the pleasant sensory aspects of storm chasing.

I imagine that they would appreciate input from autistics about how to market better to autistics. We are recognized as a demographic but we are still not well understood as one.

- Emerson

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 3:00 pm

This what I read when I clicked on the Maddy's Tour description

Quote:
This special tour is designed for young guests with autism. The tour will provide the same learning adventure and unique experience we offer on other tours within an environment sensitive to guests with special needs.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 4:47 pm

Ooh that sounds like fun!! I'd do it!!

And I agree, I'm sure they'd appreciate input (specially considering they already obviously have an understanding of it if one of the daughters has an ASD).

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

20 Jan 2008, 6:20 am

LeKiwi wrote:
Ooh that sounds like fun!! I'd do it!!

Oh yeah...me, too!!
I am kind of a weather fanatic LOL....It would just be a matter of money, organising transport to the USA etc.
I think it's a good idea for them to do this.