Page 65 of 100 [ 1585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 100  Next

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 4:48 am

TellEmSteveDave wrote:
I'm a male and I agree with feminism, I think it's wrong to discriminate against someone because of their gender or sexual orientation. Also it's perfectly natural for men be in touch with their feminine side and vice versa.

And that's where feminism has gone too far - men are being discriminated against.
If a certain percentage of women have to be put in corporate boardrooms regardless of competence, competent men are refused those positions based on their gender.
Now, if that happened to women, it would certainly be branded sexism.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 5:42 am

I think I'd be in agreement with most of WP (hey, now there's a rarity), that this guy goes too far: (Unless these two are both into this kind of role playing.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqo6lngxmhE[/youtube]

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 6:34 am

That's actually a very good idea. :)

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 8:03 am

Humor aimed at bigotry is often enjoyed by the bigoted. It appeals on more than one level.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 8:39 am

Feminism is outdated, because we're entering an age where people are starting to reject being labeled by society for the genitalia they possess ("man", "woman"), rather than for who they are as persons. If you're a "female" who identifies as a male, what are you? Don't you have the right to be a male, if that's how you identify? And vice versa. And then there's transgender. So, "feminism" changes its meaning for those who reject being labeled by others. It would become merely a belief in supremacy of the feminine -- be that feminine nature in a "male", in a "female", or in a "transgender" person.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 8:52 am

Interesting little article on the subject

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinio ... 75793.html

Quote:
Consider the images of women that leap out from the front pages of popular magazines -- or the way they appear in music videos. Women in movies, on TV, or in video games are much more likely than men to be dressed in revealing clothing or portrayed in ways that emphasize their sexual appeal. It is not enough to be able to sing: To become successful in the world of popular music, a woman has to sell herself as a sex object as well. From Madonna to Rihanna, a sexual image is at least as important as their sound -- perhaps much more.

The sexualization of women and girls begins early. Underwear and bathing suits for prepubescent girls might now include padded "bras." Makeup for pre-teens is no longer uncommon.

Girls learn quickly their cup size is more important than their intelligence. We don't seem to grow out of it either, as the burgeoning cosmetic surgery industry reveals. The message is clear: Physical attractiveness is the measure of a woman's value.

Consider the fact we have grey-haired male news anchors like Peter Mansbridge, but female anchors are usually much younger -- or doing their best to fake it. It is the difference between being respected for ability rather than appearance.

A 2007 study by the American Psychological Association on the sexualization of girls documents that popular magazines consistently encourage girls to focus on becoming objects of desire for males. Recent television shows like Toddlers and Tiaras feature girls as young as three competing in beauty pageants, complete with fake eyelashes and padded "breasts."

Getting out of this mindset was supposed to be what feminism was about. The idea women were not simply sexual objects or useful domestic labour took decades of struggle to gain ground. Women have ideas and ambitions worth valuing on their own terms. Yet today, feminists are parodied as shrill and angry females who hate men, and are always overreacting to "harmless" behaviour.

Empowerment in the post-feminist era is supposedly about being sexually available and uninhibited. Perhaps that was the ideal of female behaviour airlines implied when they required their flight attendants to be attractive and unmarried (therefore "available"). It is not surprising then that Pan Am, a new television series about flight attendants in the days before 1978, has achieved popularity. Perhaps we haven't come so far after all.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 8:54 am

And if you're a female who doesn't fit what society tells you, what are you? Oh wait you're a guy because women are only suppose to be "feminine" whatever the fck that means. As for feminism, if it hadn't been for the movement women would still be scrutinized like they are today only worse. Seriously some of the people in this thread make me sick to my stomach. The attitudes are still the same with exception to some who are see both sides. Are there females who are extreme with their views? Yes but very few compared to the amount of bashing I'm not only seeing on this thread but in general. Go back to the kitchen...alright I'm leaving. Anyway if anyone wants women to be a traditional stepford wife might as well bring up the men who should work for a living because there is good proportion who not only don't work but don't help in raising the kids.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 8:59 am

Well, at least you're not bitter.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 9:01 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
Interesting little article on the subject

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinio ... 75793.html

Quote:
Consider the images of women that leap out from the front pages of popular magazines -- or the way they appear in music videos. Women in movies, on TV, or in video games are much more likely than men to be dressed in revealing clothing or portrayed in ways that emphasize their sexual appeal. It is not enough to be able to sing: To become successful in the world of popular music, a woman has to sell herself as a sex object as well. From Madonna to Rihanna, a sexual image is at least as important as their sound -- perhaps much more.

The sexualization of women and girls begins early. Underwear and bathing suits for prepubescent girls might now include padded "bras." Makeup for pre-teens is no longer uncommon.

Girls learn quickly their cup size is more important than their intelligence. We don't seem to grow out of it either, as the burgeoning cosmetic surgery industry reveals. The message is clear: Physical attractiveness is the measure of a woman's value.

Consider the fact we have grey-haired male news anchors like Peter Mansbridge, but female anchors are usually much younger -- or doing their best to fake it. It is the difference between being respected for ability rather than appearance.

A 2007 study by the American Psychological Association on the sexualization of girls documents that popular magazines consistently encourage girls to focus on becoming objects of desire for males. Recent television shows like Toddlers and Tiaras feature girls as young as three competing in beauty pageants, complete with fake eyelashes and padded "breasts."

Getting out of this mindset was supposed to be what feminism was about. The idea women were not simply sexual objects or useful domestic labour took decades of struggle to gain ground. Women have ideas and ambitions worth valuing on their own terms. Yet today, feminists are parodied as shrill and angry females who hate men, and are always overreacting to "harmless" behaviour.

Empowerment in the post-feminist era is supposedly about being sexually available and uninhibited. Perhaps that was the ideal of female behaviour airlines implied when they required their flight attendants to be attractive and unmarried (therefore "available"). It is not surprising then that Pan Am, a new television series about flight attendants in the days before 1978, has achieved popularity. Perhaps we haven't come so far after all.

No surprise there.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 9:13 am

Ragtime wrote:
Well, at least you're not bitter.

Ditto and welcome back.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 9:29 am

Ragtime wrote:
Feminism is outdated, because we're entering an age where people are starting to reject being labeled by society for the genitalia they possess ("man", "woman"), rather than for who they are as persons. If you're a "female" who identifies as a male, what are you? Don't you have the right to be a male, if that's how you identify? And vice versa. And then there's transgender. So, "feminism" changes its meaning for those who reject being labeled by others. It would become merely a belief in supremacy of the feminine -- be that feminine nature in a "male", in a "female", or in a "transgender" person.

LOLwut?
Who do you think is responsible for that? :lol:
You do know feminist groups are some of the greatest champions of transgender rights?

to his Interest."

myth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 9:45 am

Awesome, masculism does exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masculism

I'm definately on board with that as a counter to feminism. There should be more awareness about this, imo. I never heard of this word before I "invented" it myself yesterday.

Nothing is absolute.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 10:06 am

I've heard about it before - I've also read up on it intensively, and I agree with it.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 10:10 am

Masculinism as opposed instead of equal with feminism...I can already see where this is going...

myth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 10:17 am

Should men not have advocates of their rights?

Who said "opposed to" ?

Nothing is absolute.

Last edited by myth on 04 Apr 2012, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 10:22 am

myth wrote:
Should men not have advocates of their rights?

Of course not. That would be sexist. Akin to having an organization that promoted rights for white people.