Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

momtojames
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 May 2009, 11:24 pm

My 7 year old son James was recently clinically diagnosed by the neuroligist with ASD/PDD-NOS. SO I am gonna do my best here to keep this short. First of all I do not totally understand the diagnosis. I understand the abbreviations mean autism spectrum disorder/ pervasive developmental disorder- not otherwise specified. So what I am actually confused about is. What is the differnce between that and if she were to say James has autism?

The main thing I need help with is an IEP meeting was held on May 18th for James at the school. At the school level they diagnosed him with emotional impairment. I did not sign the IEP because I wanted the final diagnosis from the neuroligist first and also because I have had many many issues with the school in the past few years and they have him on a very unstructured plan that I am not happy with. So my question is why does a school not have to follow a clinical digagnosis ? and what can I do to make them come up with something other than what they already have.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Elizabeth

Tracker
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 12:18 am

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

We have a nice welcoming basket for you full of cookies. The problem is you gotta find them and they are very well hidden. I am still looking for my basket.

Anyways, I unfortunately have no advice for you about this issue, but I can suggest something that may help. Try posting your question on the parents forum:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/forum19.html

That is the forum devoted to all things parent/autie child related. You will probably get more specific advice there then in this general forum. Also, you may want to send a personal message to somebody called 'Natesmom'. She is a professional special education counselor as I understand it. She will probably be able to help you figure out the details of IEPs, and all that other school related stuff.

Tracker
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 10:01 am

I'm just gonna bump this to the top so the OP can find it.

Pragmatica
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2009, 10:10 am

Good idea / advice

momtojames
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 May 2009, 10:37 am

I just posted in parent discussion. Thanks for your help