I'm having issues with the school. Please help

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

momtojames
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 May 2009, 10:29 am

I originally I posted this in autism discussion and was advised to repost it here

My 7 year old son James was recently clinically diagnosed by the neuroligist with ASD/PDD-NOS. SO I am gonna do my best here to keep this short. First of all I do not totally understand the diagnosis. I understand the abbreviations mean autism spectrum disorder/ pervasive developmental disorder- not otherwise specified. So what I am actually confused about is. What is the differnce between that and if she were to say James has autism?

The main thing I need help with is an IEP meeting was held on May 18th for James at the school. At the school level they diagnosed him with emotional impairment. I did not sign the IEP because I wanted the final diagnosis from the neuroligist first and also because I have had many many issues with the school in the past few years and they have him on a very unstructured plan that I am not happy with. So my question is why does a school not have to follow a clinical digagnosis ? and what can I do to make them come up with something other than what they already have.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Elizabeth

jenny8675309
Raven
Raven

31 May 2009, 12:08 pm

The school does have to accept a clinical diagnosis, (I think... ) but their classifications that qualify a child for special education aren't as broad as doctor's clinical diagnosis are. So they may classify him as emotional impairment, or OHI for other health impairment, or autism. It depends on which one the school psych believes fits the most accurately. I don't know what you could do about getting that changed...but in the end it doesn't matter AS LONG AS the child gets the needed services.

I think when most people say autism, they mean a moderately-severely affected child. Not that it's always accurate, but a lot of non-doctor types think that. I usually hear PDD/ASD/Asperger's for the milder forms.

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 1:04 pm

Emotional disability is a huge label. Label should dictate the IEP at all, though.

Some districts don't see PDD-NOS or Aspergers as having Autism. There is no educational category with those two labels. Since those two labels are on the autism spectrum, school districts should provide that dx. We do that all the time. Some school district personnal go through a power trip and state that they disagree with the label and chose not to use it for educational dx. I absoultely hate this. I am a school psych and even if I disagree, I am usually not as qualified as the person giving the dx. In addition, everyone presents so differently. I am so sorry you are going through this. At least he has a diagnosis to allow them to give him what he needs. ALthough the ed dx shouldn't dictate the servcies on the IEP, some school districts still live in the ice age and do that. I have been to a few law workshops with a legal mediator and something like a judge (absolutely I am not completely familiar with titles although I am good with the law).

If the IEP is not structured enough, find some ideas and goals that are. Bring them to the IEP meetings. Get an advocate to help you. Need help with this, PM me! The IEP goals do need to be structured to make it work

Good luck!

Chyndonax
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2009, 7:12 pm

There are advocacy groups that help parents in this situation. I don't know of any by name but a search should turn them up. Basically they go with you to the IEP meetings, and since they know what the school has to do are much more effective at getting them to live up to their obligations.

momtojames
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jun 2009, 4:37 pm

Thank you for your responses.
I now have an advocate and she is wonderful. I went to the school today to sign the IEP I as directed by the advocate to sign I disagree and request a new meeting within 7 days. They were not at all happy so the advised me to leave it unsigned and call the director of special services.
I left the meeting and called the director and also called a consultant that has given me lots of info. After the consultant called the director I recieved a phone call and she is willing to meet me at any time and gave me her cell #
We will be keeping in touch until I recieve all the paperwork from my doctors and then we will meet
So at the moment the ball seems to be n my court