Any Aspies out there who are NOT into "nerdy" thin

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 11:40 pm

I'm not really into nerdy things - well, except for memorizing pi. That might qualify as nerdy, but I don't like it for the math. Mostly I like learning languages. I know Spanish, Romanian, some French and Italian, and a little bit of a dozen other languages. I'm taking classes this summer in French and ASL. The one I really want to learn is Russian. At first I just wanted to learn the alphabet, but I got really into it. I plan on majoring in Russian in college.

steeviebops
Raven
Raven

03 Jun 2009, 12:31 pm

I do consider myself to be a stereotypical nerd in some ways but not all. For example, I've no interest in sci-fi or anime but am rather obsessed with technology and railways.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 2:42 pm

I like both nerdy and non-nerdy activities, i see no reason to limit myself to one group.

robbokris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2009, 6:26 pm

I don't like nerdy activites mainly, but I do love my videogames :)

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 7:14 am

sgrannel wrote:
Really? Did you meet a girl on here and like her? I guess some of my interests don't really fit the nerdy stereotype either. I haven't played video games in years and I like late 70 rock/punk. But I do have some of the weird body language characteristics (I've been called a "ret*d" because of this), stims and eye contact issues, difficulties with managing activities and time etc. I want to see the movie "full metal jacket", if I can find it.

go forth & find a copy! i have 2 lol Full metal jacket is an awesome movie. ;)

b9
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 8:56 am

i will just talk about the "emo" aspect.

i have seen many references to "emo" in forums for AS people.

it is annoying that other people who may read these forums to find out about AS see so many associations with "emo" people.

i do not think that a significant proportion of AS people are "emo".
i do think that a significant proportion of "emo's" would be partial to the idea they have AS after they read about it.
they like to project a "mysterious" image (a bit of an oxymoron really because "mystery" does not like to be revealed ("projected as an image")).
they like to be seen as uniquely individual, because they follow a "trend" of individuality (another oxymoron ("man it's trendy to be individual! everybody's doin' it hey")).
they seem to compete with each other to be the most "unique".
maybe they should have "uniqueness" contests where the winner is the person who scores highest on all the common traits of "uniqueness".

they like to identify with vampires etc as well.

if there really were vampires, and they were very rare, and if they had a vampire forum, and if that forum required no proof of identity as a vampire, then it would be full of "emo's" who identify as being vampires (self diagnosed).
they would also reject the few authentic vampires because they are in the minority of consensus.

if i found that forum and was interested to learn how vampires think, then i would be deceived by all the emo's who are imposters on that forum, and i would think most vampires are emo's.

i am going to find this hard to explain because i am in a "vague phase" in a linguistic way.
anyway, anyone can say in their profile "AS Diagnosed". if they are a liar, it is very easy to do. a liar would say that to seem more credible as a tru AS. they may be telling the truth of course.
but if i check a persons profile because i think they are self glorious and they are acting like an authority on AS and i do not agree with what they say, then when i read "AS Diagnosed" i think "yeah! you would say that".

but if i see "AS Undiagnosed", then i realize they have some honesty because they could easily lie and say they are diagnosed but they do not.
so i give them more credibility.

people who say they are NT i believe fully, and if i disagree with their sentiments, i am OK because it is not a sentiment from an NT who claims to be an AS.
i very much dislike imposters whether they are deliberate or just misguided into believing they are AS without a diagnosis.

and another thing is the fact that i blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah....

i have drifted too far off course and i will end here.

DustinWX
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jun 2009, 11:01 am

Yea, I agree. Everytime I meet an aspie offline he starts lecturing me on video games. I really don't care about any of that.

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2009, 1:44 pm

b9 wrote:

it is annoying that other people who may read these forums to find out about AS see so many associations with "emo" people.

i do think that a significant proportion of "emo's" would be partial to the idea they have AS after they read about it.
they like to project a "mysterious" image (a bit of an oxymoron really because "mystery" does not like to be revealed ("projected as an image")).
they like to be seen as uniquely individual, because they follow a "trend" of individuality (another oxymoron ("man it's trendy to be individual! everybody's doin' it hey")).
maybe they should have "uniqueness" contests where the winner is the person who scores highest on all the common traits of "uniqueness".

if there really were vampires, and they were very rare, and if they had a vampire forum, and if that forum required no proof of identity as a vampire, then it would be full of "emo's" who identify as being vampires (self diagnosed).
they would also reject the few authentic vampires because they are in the minority of consensus.

if i found that forum and was interested to learn how vampires think, then i would be deceived by all the emo's who are imposters on that forum, and i would think most vampires are emo's.

i am going to find this hard to explain because i am in a "vague phase" in a linguistic way.
anyway, anyone can say in their profile "AS Diagnosed". if they are a liar, it is very easy to do. a liar would say that to seem more credible as a tru AS. they may be telling the truth of course.
but if i check a persons profile because i think they are self glorious and they are acting like an authority on AS and i do not agree with what they say, then when i read "AS Diagnosed" i think "yeah! you would say that".

but if i see "AS Undiagnosed", then i realize they have some honesty because they could easily lie and say they are diagnosed but they do not.

people who say they are NT i believe fully, and if i disagree with their sentiments, i am OK because it is not a sentiment from an NT who claims to be an AS.
i very much dislike imposters whether they are deliberate or just misguided into believing they are AS without a diagnosis.

and another thing is the fact that i blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah....

Yuk, vampires! :x I don't understand why ANYONE would be obsessed with them (except maybe the Count on Sesame Street when u were a kid :P) That's one reason I would not call myself emo. I also HATE the idea of cutting myself (never done it) and wearing weird black makeup (again, never done it). "Hipster" or "indie" might be a better way of describing who I am. Also I'm not a liar I really do have AS. I have trouble trying to figure out what people are saying when they give me directions, I can't drive and probably never will due to my poor motor skills and bad spacial perception, I was obsessed with strange things like the PBS logo back when I was a kid, I can only partly take care of myself and will probably need an independent living skills counselor to help me with a lot of the stuff I don't know how to do yet, I've been told various times in my life (including now) that I have weird bodily tics that I often don't even realize I'm doing, I get SSI in place of bills (thank goodness 'cuz I think I'd stink at paying bills).

Anyway, you get the idea, right? Yet, in spite of all my dysfunctions, I still really love the indie culture. Why? It's probably because my dad did too when he was growing up. He actually knows and is even friends with various members of X, Sonic Youth, and The Cramps. I've even met DJ Bonebrake (X's drummer)'s wife and daughter, as well as DJ himself. They're pretty cool people. Even though I'm probably more hip to the current indie bands (The Shins, The Decemberists, Bright Eyes, Fleet Foxes, My Morning Jacket, Death Cab, etc.) my dad likes those he has heard the music of out of what I mentioned. Plus he introduced me to another current indie artist, Joanna Newsom. I am entranced by her, she reminds me of early Joni Mitchell (only with harp instead of guitar), and I heard she might be AS herself. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised. Actually there's a couple indie-rock females I've come to love (Regina Spektor, Feist, and Cat Power specifically...and Tori Amos and Fiona Apple if they count though they're probably more "90's alternative").

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 2:51 pm

Listen, I probably have more indie cred than anybody else I know. I have spent an incredible time around musicians, artists, filmmakers, etc. I met Jack and Meg White, spent time with Connor Oberst, was friends with Rainer Maria, Tara Jane Oniel, Jason Anderson, Brief Candles and Mirah. Guess what, as hip as this all sounds, I am a nerd. Just because you may have more "cool" interests does not make you less of one. All of my friends in the indie community who are actually well, active, are not shy about admitting it. While thier nerdiness is in diy crafting, art, literature or music, it does not make them less of one. The fact is I have my indie grrrl side and my sci-fi/anime geek side. The very fact I have that duality expands how many people I can be friends with, because I have a hard time talking to people I don't share interests with.

The indie community celebrates nerdiness as much as the sci-fi/anime community. That is why many of us wear horned rim glasses. I mean maybe I am to entrenched with the International Pop Underground, but there is no shame in it. Just because there is supposedly the veneer of cool doesn't mean we are not nerds beneath it (or even on the surface) and celebrate it. Its really just a different type of nerd, and a different type of costume at its heart.

Last edited by starygrrl on 04 Jun 2009, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 2:56 pm

My interests:

Animated sitcoms (especially the Simpsons and South Park)
Stand-up Comedy
Indie Movies
Foreign Movies
Transportation
Geography
Geology

Ligea_Seroua
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 3:45 pm

Well, not to bash the "nerds" but Anime leaves me cold, other than drunken Rock Band participation I would not take part in any kind of computer game by choice, never liked sci-fi that much (other than to laugh at), I find anything involving wizards or dragons really embarrassing and I have no particular knowledge of philosophy....I would say I'm a geek though seeing as I "do" science, although it's a pharmacology masters, a bioscience, and it's my daytime thing.

So despite the fact I'm in the completely wrong age demographic (GriffinGuitar12, I'm probably nearer your Dad's age, he sounds cool btw, the nearest my Dad got to knowing celebs was finding him chatting like long lost pals with Meatloaf 8O :roll: ) I'm glad there's this thread!

Athough I LIKE vampires, particularly Count Duckula :lol:

Sqrannel and Amazontelevision, similar interests to me, although as well as old US punk I do like a bit of indie, metal, electronica and techno. Basically, as I discovered, anything that's hard to buy in a major store :evil:

Landon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jun 2009, 3:55 pm

Thank you! I have AS, but I am the furthest thing from a nerd.

I'm kind of a jock, but I'm interested in music too. I play soccer, basketball and tennis, and I like running and working out. I play the guitar, bass, cello, piano and drums, and I like all types of music. Right now I really like Kings of Leon, All-American Rejects and the Fratellis, but I also like country (Doc Walker, Dierks Bentley, Keith Urban and Taylor Swift) and hip-hop (Kanye, Akon and Lil Wayne).

I'm not at all interested in video games (besides Rock Band), anime or sci-fi. The only technology that I care about is my Iphone, and I only use the internet for Facebook, espn.com and this site.

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2009, 7:15 pm

starygrrl wrote:
Listen, I probably have more indie cred than anybody else I know. I have spent an incredible time around musicians, artists, filmmakers, etc. I met Jack and Meg White, spent time with Connor Oberst, was friends with Rainer Maria, Tara Jane Oniel, Jason Anderson, Brief Candles and Mirah. Guess what, as hip as this all sounds, I am a nerd. Just because you may have more "cool" interests does not make you less of one. All of my friends in the indie communuty who are actually well, active, are not shy about admiting it. While thier nerdiness is in diy crafting, art, literature or music, it does not make them less of one. The fact is I have my indie grrrl side and my sci-fi/anime geek side. The very fact I have that duality expands how many people I can be friends with, because I have a hard time talking to people I don't share interests with.

The indie community celebrates nerdiness as much as the sci-fi/anime community. Thats why many of us wear horned rim glasses. I mean maybe I am to entranched with the International Pop Underground, but there is no shame in it. Just because there is supposably the veneer of cool doesn't mean we are not nerds beneath it (or even on the surface) and celebrate it. Its really just a different type of nerd, and a different type of costume at its heart.

You sound pretty cool and I'd like to get to know you better (as a friend, in case you're wondering, I'm not "after you" or anything so don't worry :P) Yeah, I realize indie culture embraces nerdiness, though it seems to do so in an ironic manner, kinda like how corporations like "Spencer's Gifts" tends to put "retro" (60's and 70's, etc.) T-shirts in high regard. Listen I'm not against nerds, my best friends are nerds. It's just that I get tired of them talking about video games and sci-fi and stuff because, no lie, I was never into any of that. I'm not some Aspie who's desperately trying to be "cool", in fact I have a geeky side that really embraces "kiddie" things like Spongebob Squarepants and the Muppets. I definitely wouldn't consider it "in" or "cool" to like these things, but I really like 'em and I find it really amazing whenever I meet someone around my age who likes these things (trust me there's a couple of 'em :P). Homestar Runner and Mystery Science Theater 3000 are equally "cool-geeky" to me. They're definitely not "kiddie" like the other things I mentioned but all 4 of the things I mentioned have quirky, somewhat subversive humor and I LOVE that!!

It's awesome that you know Conor Oberst and all these people! :D Do you know a show called "Pancake Mountain"? I've watched little snippets of it on YouTube. It's like a parody of "Sesame Street" with indie and alt-rock musicians as the guest stars. From what I've seen of it, it's great! It seems like it's (kind of) safe for kids to watch, but the humor seems to skewer more towards adults.

Bottom line is that my "geekiness" definitely exists, it just lies more in humorous aspects than technical ones, that's all. If you're in the LA area I'd really like to meet you. Also not to sound rude but how old are you? I'm 21. Honestly it doesn't matter what age you are - you could be 50 and I'd still wanna hang out with you (again, in a "friend" way). I was just curious to know.

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 10:40 pm

I hung out with Conner once years ago, I think on his birthday at one of my friends houses. I have better connections with some other people. I probably spent more time with the K Records folks, than the saddle creek folks.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 12:26 pm

I like stereotypical nedry things. My interests are video games and anime, but it dosen't make me a nerd. I used to be really into music...it just depends on what I get interested in...no matter how nerdy or not nerdy the subject is. I also used to be interested in psychology and neurology which is how I found out about Asperger's. I wouldn't consider that nerdy, I just know things most people my age don't. BTW, Asperger's Syndrome is sometimes call the Geek Syndrome because we have bad social skills.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 12:31 pm

b9 wrote:

I hate how people on the internet call people with AS whiney emo kids. My former "friend" used to call me emo because I liked being by myself a lot. I hated that.