80% of aspies fail out/unemployed after 4+years of college

Page 4 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

AnnieK
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jul 2009, 7:55 am

OregonBecky wrote:
Einstein struggled with school.
The Early Years

Einstein finally got a job at a Swiss patent office, and earned just enough money so that his parents didn't have to support him, his young wife, and their new-born baby. Then, he started to work in solitude in the patent office, in between patent applications, on problems that had intrigued him as a child.

The Early Years

What that blurb doesn't tell you is that Einstein was unemployable in academia after graduating because his head professor hated his guts - Einstein kept on skipping his classes for what he found more interesting like philosophy and hence refused to give him a job (common practice at the time) or a good recommendation. Einstein managed to graduate despite skipping classes because he had a good friend who kept meticulous notes.

Einstein eventually got his job in the patent office through I believe the same friend.

Also in reference to him going to college early, he was only able to do that because his family paid for him despite the fact that their financial situation wasn't too great and his father wanted him to do engineering not physics. In fact I think his family supported him quite substantially in his early years. One of the reasons why he took the patent office job was because his guilt over his father getting ill and his feeling he was a burden on the family so he was determined to get a job, any job even if it didn't involve his beloved physics.

I mean Einstein was a genius but he didn't do everything on his own. He had substantial support from his family and friends who helped him and supported him.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 2:18 pm

I went to college for four years. I'm not sure if I will be able to parlay my degree into something I want (or can be good at).

I won't be unemployed though. I'll just take the roughest jobs out there and no NT's are willing to do. If you have high standards and want a meaningful job and a great life outside of work, then you are probably f****d.

LAEMapsie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jul 2009, 7:00 am

I have started on Job Seekers Allowance recently. Hopefully, I will find work within a few months.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 10:12 pm

My problem has never been dropping out of school. (I've never flunked a grade though technically there were a few years where I should've.) My biggest issue has always been the fact that I accomplished all the things that I've been pressured, bullied, and forced by society to do. I get through high school, get through college only to find that none of it did anything for me. Not one thing.

It's one thing to fail...it's another to suceed and find it makes no difference.

When I was in high school, we had these Hall Sweeps where people were being severly punished for being tardy. I felt that being in class on time would be my only accomplishment. In fact I freaked out and started lashing at my mom one time because she didn't get me to school on time one day. So yeah, I was too blind to realize that schools dont award that kind of s**t. They dont award you for suceeding...they only punish you for not suceeding. I find that kind of approach to be very horrible...especially when people like me have to endure much more in order to accomplish what seems easy to everyone else.

So it was very unpleasant for me to get this bachelor's degree and find that it has no value. Perhaps I was making mistakes left and right in college by not preparing for the job market or by hanging on to my silly expectations that my dream of being a tv/film producer would happen in stride.

I'm pretty convinced that America right now is being set up to get as many people under poverty level as possible. That's why it's so easy these days for so many fully trained, experienced, well educated, degree holders to be out of a job.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 12:37 am

raisedbyignorance wrote:
So it was very unpleasant for me to get this bachelor's degree and find that it has no value. Perhaps I was making mistakes left and right in college by not preparing for the job market or by hanging on to my silly expectations that my dream of being a tv/film producer would happen in stride.

I'm pretty convinced that America right now is being set up to get as many people under poverty level as possible. That's why it's so easy these days for so many fully trained, experienced, well educated, degree holders to be out of a job.

I agree and I did the same thing... having a bachelor's degree is ok, but you need the connections, people skills etc. to get you the job and for you to succeed at it. Hence what I said in my post... take the jobs that most NTs won't.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 10:23 pm

I didn't go to college right after high school. I didn't know about Asperger's back then and I was miserable in high school. I did poorly grades wise and my parents didn't want to pay for me to go to college without any kind of scholarship money or at least the belief that I would be able to succeed. Anyways, I worked various jobs for a few years and decided to go to ITT Tech. 4 years, later, I have a Bachelor's of Science degree, but computers are no longer an interest of mine so it's kind of useless.

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 1:00 am

I'm unemployed and unemployable, but for very non-AS reasons.

Insomniac (at night) + falling asleep during the day + debilitating headaches.

I had a freaking 3.9 GPA (out of 4) in my major (Computer Science dept) in undergrad.
I got a freaking Master's degree after that.
I was successful at a full-time job in my field while finishing the Master's degree; in itself, proof that I could have had a good career.

Then, things went to hell last year.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 5:58 am

What happened dude?

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 6:21 am

gsilver wrote:
I'm unemployed and unemployable, but for very non-AS reasons.

Insomniac (at night) + falling asleep during the day + debilitating headaches.

I had a freaking 3.9 GPA (out of 4) in my major (Computer Science dept) in undergrad.
I got a freaking Master's degree after that.
I was successful at a full-time job in my field while finishing the Master's degree; in itself, proof that I could have had a good career.

Then, things went to hell last year.

Find a support group like I do. It helps you have more fun and you can help other people too. Take it one small step at a time. Being an insomniac is a plus in some computer science jobs - like the night shift at the college computer lab which is open 24 hours. Also, computer maintenance is usually down during off hours such as at 3 am at night.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 6:23 am

Yeah, that's why I don't see a reason why are you still unemployed with your wonderful qualifications... and habits that can lead you thrive as a IT professional...

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 6:27 am

raisedbyignorance wrote:
My problem has never been dropping out of school. (I've never flunked a grade though technically there were a few years where I should've.) My biggest issue has always been the fact that I accomplished all the things that I've been pressured, bullied, and forced by society to do. I get through high school, get through college only to find that none of it did anything for me. Not one thing.

It's one thing to fail...it's another to suceed and find it makes no difference.

When I was in high school, we had these Hall Sweeps where people were being severly punished for being tardy. I felt that being in class on time would be my only accomplishment. In fact I freaked out and started lashing at my mom one time because she didn't get me to school on time one day. So yeah, I was too blind to realize that schools dont award that kind of s**t. They dont award you for suceeding...they only punish you for not suceeding. I find that kind of approach to be very horrible...especially when people like me have to endure much more in order to accomplish what seems easy to everyone else.

oh how i wish i did not go to college.. it's so unfair to FORCE high school kids to be shackled with debt when they are only 22 and shame them if they don't go to college.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 6:48 am

Learning2Survive wrote:
oh how i wish i did not go to college.. it's so unfair to FORCE high school kids to be shackled with debt when they are only 22 and shame them if they don't go to college.

I wholeheartedly agree.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 7:46 am

But how to get a job without the degree? Unless we wanna flip burgers...

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 12:24 pm

I don't know how other's insomnia works, but mine works such that I NEED to sleep when I'm tired, which could happen at any time. Then, I seldom sleep for very long.

If I get under 8 hours of sleep (which happens all the time), I'm a complete wreck. It's really difficult.

Like last night, a rather good night all things considered. It took an hour to fall asleep, I woke up after about 4 hours, couldn't get back to sleep for another 3 or so, then slept another 2. So, that's 10 hours out of my day to get 6 hours sleep, and I'm nowhere near 100% since I'm still 2 hours behind in what I need (even ignoring that the disjointed nature of the night makes what I got be less efficient). All this, on what's a GOOD DAY for me.

Anything other than a consolidated 8 hours leads to headaches that make it incredibly difficult to function. Forget mental tasks (like WORK), even eating three meals a day or simply leaving the apartment is extremely difficult. In each of the past 2 weeks (since I've been writing this stuff down), there's been 3 days when I didn't manage to go outside at all, and one day that I was practically bed ridden due to exhaustion (and still not getting the needed sleep).

If I were working, I wouldn't even have the chance to catch up on any of the missing sleep. I'd need to operate on half the sleep I needed for the day, and I'd spend the entire day simply trying to keep awake (often failing), nevermind get any work done. That's what happened all the time at my job last year.

Does that sound like a plus?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 2:14 pm

ruennsheng wrote:
But how to get a job without the degree? Unless we wanna flip burgers...

That's going to change.

Job market is not going to ever pay these new graduates the money they need to make to repay their college debt. Supply vs. demand.

The new angle is that you get technical training (2 years max.) and go to work making decent money because you have the relevant JOB SKILLS they are hiring for. The average college graduate has little more than 30 semester hours of education in their major field (1 full year of classes), so the actual knowledge of a BA/BS degree is really quite limited, and more and more graduates take jobs wherever they can...often outside their field of training.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 5:54 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Learning2Survive wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree.

I wish I would have gone into a trade. I didn't go to university until age 21. I am almost 26, and am finishing my BA right now. I wish I would have gone to tech school and learned to be a welder or a pipefitter... But nooooo, I had to go to university, because I'm smarrrrrt.... by the time I realized that I hated university and thought it was useless I was already in too deep. At least I'm graduating on time...