80% of aspies fail out/unemployed after 4+years of college

Page 5 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

Space
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 5:54 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Learning2Survive wrote:
oh how i wish i did not go to college.. it's so unfair to FORCE high school kids to be shackled with debt when they are only 22 and shame them if they don't go to college.

I wholeheartedly agree.

I wish I would have gone into a trade. I didn't go to university until age 21. I am almost 26, and am finishing my BA right now. I wish I would have gone to tech school and learned to be a welder or a pipefitter... But nooooo, I had to go to university, because I'm smarrrrrt.... by the time I realized that I hated university and thought it was useless I was already in too deep. At least I'm graduating on time...

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 6:43 pm

This is one of the reasons I'm against more government spending to make colleges lower cost or free. Not everyone needs to or should go.

Hmmmn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jul 2009, 6:48 pm

Bataar wrote:
Not everyone needs to or should go.

That may be true but why should money be the deciding factor? How about academic merit?

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 7:30 pm

Hmmmn wrote:
Bataar wrote:
Not everyone needs to or should go.

That may be true but why should money be the deciding factor? How about academic merit?

It shouldn't be the deciding factor. Here in Washington State, there's talk to make the state pay for all people to get a free Associate's degree from community college. They basically want to make it an extension of high school. I'm against this because I don't want the state to spend hundreds of millions of tax payer dollaers for people who have no drive to go, have no motivation to go and only go because it's "expected" or required.

There are plenty of programs in place already to help poor people who do well academically. Our current president is proof of that. All a program like that will do is inflate degrees. I think we, as a nation and society should do more to encourage trade schools and apprenticeship programs along with colleges/universities. Many people go to college who don't really belong. They have no motivation, they don't know what they want, they're not mature enough, they just want the status, etc. All they do is rack up a huge debt and many of them don't even complete it. How is this helping them?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 7:59 pm

Bataar wrote:
This is one of the reasons I'm against more government spending to make colleges lower cost or free. Not everyone needs to or should go.

That, or you can take the opposing angle...make college/university free for anyone so that there is never a shortage of "trained" people but if the workforce isn't absorbing them and paying great wages, at least none of them are strapped down so bad with debt that they are not contributing to the economy.

Believe it or not, every penny spent to pay down on outstanding debt is hurting the economy because it's not spent on goods and services that put people to work. Being debt-free is actually beneficial to the majority of the economy while being in debt only favors one segment of the economy.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 8:07 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Bataar wrote:

That, or you can take the opposing angle...make college/university free for anyone so that there is never a shortage of "trained" people but if the workforce isn't absorbing them and paying great wages, at least none of them are strapped down so bad with debt that they are not contributing to the economy.

Believe it or not, every penny spent to pay down on outstanding debt is hurting the economy because it's not spent on goods and services that put people to work. Being debt-free is actually beneficial to the majority of the economy while being in debt only favors one segment of the economy.

That would hurt the economy quite a bit. You'd be spending millions if not billions of tax dollars on people who drop out, don't complete, do very poorly, etc. It would also make the degrees more and more meaningless as standards drop to cope with it.

How much money is spent on kids graduating high school who don't know what they want to do, are very immature, only want to go to college to party, end up going and dropping out? Do we really want to pay for that? Why not encourage them to go trade schools and learn to be become auto mechanics, plumbers, electricians, etc? Many people only want to go to college for status. They don't want to go to a trade school because they view it as lower than a degree. Society should try to change this.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 10:53 pm

Bataar wrote:
That would hurt the economy quite a bit. You'd be spending millions if not billions of tax dollars on people who drop out, don't complete, do very poorly, etc. It would also make the degrees more and more meaningless as standards drop to cope with it.

How much money is spent on kids graduating high school who don't know what they want to do, are very immature, only want to go to college to party, end up going and dropping out? Do we really want to pay for that? Why not encourage them to go trade schools and learn to be become auto mechanics, plumbers, electricians, etc? Many people only want to go to college for status. They don't want to go to a trade school because they view it as lower than a degree. Society should try to change this.

I agree that college shouldn't have the social status that it currently bestows, but I don't see how lowering tuition would result in the lowering of college graduation standards. Wouldn't college entrance requirements still be high? In fact couldn't college entrance requirements be set even higher? There are only so many spaces available for students at colleges, and there'd be more applicants if you remove the tuition barrier, but if you're not qualified to go to college, you aren't qualified, regardless of whether you have the money to pay for your own tuition or not.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2009, 6:21 am

Bataar wrote:

I would agree with you BUT, it's a bogus argument. 50 years ago, a HIGH SCHOOL graduate had the vocational skills and head knowledge to go out and do most ANY job available. College was reserved for advanced education and very few could go to college.

In that time, almost all meaningful vocational training has been removed from high schools and colleges spend most of their time teaching fairly rudimentary employment skills kids used to know by the time they reached 18. This has done much to diminish the value of a college education.

I may take a "conspiracy" view of things, but I've watched public education basically "dumb down" the average student so that college becomes "mandatory" for employment, and the problem is that high school is supposed to be the "mandatory" standard...but most kids come out of high school unequipped to go to work and need to borrow money to pay for additional education.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2009, 12:45 pm

Bataar wrote:
Why not encourage them to go trade schools and learn to be become auto mechanics, plumbers, electricians, etc? Many people only want to go to college for status. They don't want to go to a trade school because they view it as lower than a degree.

I think the bottom line is money. I know guys who make huge money in trades, some who dropped out of high school. And then I know guys with degrees who don't make s**t. What matters more at the end of the day: having a job/degree with "status" or having a big paycheck? I'll take the paycheck...

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2009, 2:56 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
In that time, almost all meaningful vocational training has been removed from high schools and colleges spend most of their time teaching fairly rudimentary employment skills kids used to know by the time they reached 18. This has done much to diminish the value of a college education.

I may take a "conspiracy" view of things, but I've watched public education basically "dumb down" the average student so that college becomes "mandatory" for employment, and the problem is that high school is supposed to be the "mandatory" standard...but most kids come out of high school unequipped to go to work and need to borrow money to pay for additional education.

Agreed, if anything I think elementary and high school education needs to be shored up so that colleges don't have to pick up the slack for deficiencies that should've been remedied in a student a long time ago. Parents also need to do a better job in parenting and not spoiling the kids, instead of making the schools babysit them, which in turn uses school resources which otherwise would be used to keep academic standards high. High school education should mean something.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2009, 2:38 am

Look no further than Singapore, where a plurality of people can choose to go to technical colleges or polytechnics then find themselves employed in a basic job. Drawbacks: academic stress in all fronts, as well as little access to university/higher education...

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 9:23 pm

I only went university to escape my parents who never understood my condition, treat me same way as everyone else assuming that i know what to do against whatever the world throws at me and it is still the same to this day

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jan 2017, 10:51 pm

Space wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
Learning2Survive wrote:
oh how i wish i did not go to college.. it's so unfair to FORCE high school kids to be shackled with debt when they are only 22 and shame them if they don't go to college.

I wholeheartedly agree.

I wish I would have gone into a trade. I didn't go to university until age 21. I am almost 26, and am finishing my BA right now. I wish I would have gone to tech school and learned to be a welder or a pipefitter... But nooooo, I had to go to university, because I'm smarrrrrt.... by the time I realized that I hated university and thought it was useless I was already in too deep. At least I'm graduating on time...

If it weren't for my parents, I may not even be in college right now. It sucks having to worry about whether a school or profession is right for you and on top of that not having anyone to talk to about it either.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 2:23 am

I'm going to do what MANY people tell you not to do but...it's not our fault entirely.

Sure, we can work our asses off and learn nothing for years at a time but in the end, the only way to truly succeed is by being a literal socialite with spot on social skills and no difficulty in communication. Sad but true. The only way for success for us is self study.

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jan 2017, 11:58 am

Or perhaps move to another planet. I hear some people are working on that.

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jun 2017, 12:28 pm

80%, eh? At least it's not just me.