80% of aspies fail out/unemployed after 4+years of college

Page 6 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jun 2017, 12:28 pm

80%, eh? At least it's not just me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2017, 10:15 am

I think the 80% figure is a gross exaggeration.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 11:46 pm

Tell it all to my agent when he lands me a good job.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2017, 8:09 pm

This almost makes me glad I didn't go because I probably would have dropped out anyway. I've already dropped out of TAFE twice. The difference being that TAFE only costs a few hundred dollars per year.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Jun 2017, 8:17 pm

LostInEmulation wrote:
I guess this is kinda skewed since only the people who have problems will come to a support group. Others, who do well just do not feel the need for it.

Just my 2 Eurocents.

This is not a support group. It is a gathering of like people. There are support forums, just as there are forums for the arts and science.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Jun 2017, 8:22 pm

I think student loans are insane.
Is it better to take up a trade?
If your relatives have PhD's, will they despise you if you are a plumber or electrician?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2017, 8:40 pm

Probably

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 9:28 am

Claradoon wrote:
I think student loans are insane.
Is it better to take up a trade?
If your relatives have PhD's, will they despise you if you are a plumber or electrician?

That would greatly depend upon what areas that the PhDs are in and why they do what they do.

I have a chemistry PhD and do not hate my nephew who decided to become a plumber. We all have choices in life to make on our strengths (and also our weaknesses). He chose that career route because he had a hard time in school with his learning difficulties and because he always had a mechanical skill with putting things together. It is something that he enjoys doing, much like I enjoy teaching others advanced chemistry topics. I did not get into higher education to make big $$$ paychecks (if I wanted that I would be in administration), but with the goal to make a difference in others lives via what they learn from my teaching abilities. So it is unimportant to me how much more he will potentially make per year relative to my pay. It may be strange for me to say, but I am happy that there are jobs that pay a decent paycheck for those who cannot do the traditional college route.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 9:43 pm

your work advice sounds good. but in the united states, the peer pressure. society. social norms. to go to undergrad immediately after high school. is so strong. society claims that if you do not go to college, straight out high school you end up flipping burgers. society acts like if you go to college you will be successful.

of course not

especially after 2008 recession

plenty of Bachelors holders work at jobs that do not require degrees. such as barista at Starbucks. big deal. some articles claim that only half of Bachelors holders work at jobs that require degrees. much less their degrees.

___________________________________________________________________________________

but, it is too late for me

and as usual, i am "beyond repair".

permanently wounded

"too far gone".

"a day late, a dollar short."

my precious lil "parents" made me take the SAT in 7th grade. and start studying for it in 3rd grade. they are Chinese. they came to united states when i was 2 years old. they flat out assumed and demanded my older sister and me go to college straight out high school.

and not just any college

not community college. and not State University. they said that if we/i went to community college, then we would not be academically prepared to perform at a Bachelors program. they said that if we went to State, then that would make us stupider.

my precious lil "parents" went to community college and got an AA in History and an AA in Early Childhood Development. and a BA in Liberal Arts. schoolteacher. CBEST and CSET passed.

yeah anyways my precious lil "mom" was 50 when she got a BA from State. so she acted like getting an education was a panacea.

:arrow: be all end all :evil:

seriously

and in chinese culture, they pretty much worship formal education. academic intelligence. school is much harder there. especially math.

________________________________________________________________________________

so yeah i should've gotten work experience out of high school. get used to dealing with precious lil "people".

and then i went to UCSD which i should not have done.

b/c san diego is so homophobic, republican, and rich. not diverse.

precious lil san diegans. "people". were materialistic, classist, sexist

so glad i left

but of course that ain't to my credit.

seriously i wish i never went to college altogether

but what was the alternative, working a minimum wage job?

my precious lil "parents" would not have tolerated it

but maybe i should've insisted

it would've been better for my work prospects in the future

but whatever

hindsight bias

thinking about it makes me wanna puke

but you can't change the past

so oh well

whatever

and besides that i majored in the wrong major

should've majored in a trade. carpentry, HVAC, land surveying.

something that ain't STEM, social sciences, or humanities. something functional that requires only community college
__________________________________________________________________________________________

and now i have only had a couple jobs

and they were all minimum wage

and they fired me

and i ain't got no job skills

at least no job skills that everyone else also does not have

and i regret going to college

__________________________________________________________________________________

so now i get so discouraged. lazy. anemic. tired. exhausted. fatigued

that i do little all day long

besides lie on the ground outside

and soon the $$$ will run out

and i will become homeless

and i am afraid of social rejection

and i am afraid of failure

and my "life" would've been better in all ways, (all else being equal), if i were to have just not gone to college

but i just had to succumb to peer pressure

i am a coward

i am not good enough

i am worthless

i am socially awkward

i am helpless

nobody cares about me

nobody can help me

and i can't help myself

"life" will only get worse

this is "As Good As it Gets"

seriously

:oops:

:mrgreen:

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Jun 2017, 1:49 am

Here's a book I hope you will read -

https://www.amazon.ca/But-What-Dont-Wan ... to+college

It begins with a list of dozens of careers that do not require college or uni. The cost is $0.01 used.

Your are 33yo - you have about 50 years to live! Cut the ties to a life that doesn't exist, you might want a counselor for that. No matter what people tell you, education does not equal a job. But these trades are a good possibility.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 4:31 am

Claradoon wrote:
Your are 33yo - you have about 50 years to live! Cut the ties to a life that doesn't exist, you might want a counselor for that.
You'd think so but last week my counselor told me to go to college. Odd, considering I already have a job.

She went to college. I guess she's just a part of the culture that says college is an essential part of life, even when there's no practical need for it.

I guess culture encourages people to think in narratives like, go to high school play a sport or other extra-curricular, have your first kiss, work through the summer, go to college, go to gradschool, get married, be a good consumer, get a big mortgage on your house with a white picket fence and then have 2.4 kids.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Jun 2017, 3:05 pm

^
You left out the SUV and alimony.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 7:49 pm

How could I forget the SUV? :lol:

Isn't it wonderful that we have a culture that encourages us to work 12 hour days so we can do things like buy SUVs or make realtors rich by buying a large and cheaply made McMansion with which we hope to impress our friends.

How did being a workaholic become a virtue? It's unhealthy.

(I guess I'm a hypocrite because I work 12 hour days lol)

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 9:08 pm

Go to college.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 9:55 pm

Claradoon wrote:

Your are 33yo - you have about 50 years to live! Cut the ties to a life that doesn't exist, you might want a counselor for that.

You'd think so but last week my counselor told me to go to college. Odd, considering I already have a job.
______________________________________________________________________________________

yeah a long time ago, already cut the ties to the numerous homophobic self-important precious lil "people" from san diego. although, at no point was i in an "in" group in any sense of the word. not even after going to lgbt support groups and whatnot. :twisted:

:roll:

but whatever. "life" goes on.

in the beginning of November last year, went to a counselor, paid by medical insurance. it was once a week for the first 6 months. the second six months is once every other week. after that, no counseling.

thinking of whether i want more counseling after that. counseling could be a very good or a bad thing. depends on the specific counselor.

in the past, had a lot of different counselors. psychiatrists, psychologist, licensed clinical social worker, volunteer counselor with 170 hours training.

a lot of them intimidated or annoyed me a bit too much.

some of them were totally obsessed with the Mandated Reporter Law. a psychologist had the nerve to tell me that he wanted to physically assault the president. he acted like he was trying to bait me into saying "me too". and then 5150.

a LCSW asked me Mandated Reporter questions 3 times in one hour. if they ask mandated reporter questions every time the client expresses a negative emotion, then how is the client supposed to discuss anything negative?

another LCSW asked me how i was doing. answered "depressed". then she asked Mandated Reporter questions. but i disclosed, in writing, that i got a diagnosis for clinical depression.

okay.

dealbreaker.

anyone can label anything as "disrespectful" or "rude". but everyone has a legal right to say whatever they want. including psychologists. (fine).

but seriously, i ain't playing around with getting sent to 5150, based on some trivial misunderstanding that is bound to come up sooner or later.

and the other thing is that some counselors act so morally innocent. like they have never done anything wrong. one LCSW asked me "does she hrrt you?" ("she": precious lil "mom".)

okay, connotation versus denotation

you have to be very specific with a vague and subjective word like "hurt". another counselor told me that something is "hurtful" if it hurts. but the way the LCSW used the word "hurt" made it sound like every time someone hurt someone, that was a Mandated Reporter violation.

seriously.

likewise it don't make no sense for them to ask if you are planning on hurting yourself or anyone else. when you do an action, you have no method of knowing whether the result will hurt, help, neither, or both. for example, my precious lil "parents" made me take the SAT in 7th grade. they told me that doing so would get me a scholarship and make me famous. neither event occurred. besides, the solar system contains plenty of celebrities that did not take the SAT. or at least did not get famous for taking the SAT. and plenty of scholarships are aimed at factors besides academics. (fine). in other words my precious lil "parents" were trying to help me. they believed and thought that what they did would help me. but instead, maybe they ended up hurting me.

they do not know. and neither do i. it is impossible to find out. you would have to do a controlled experiment and keep all variables except one constant.

and the other thing, is. values and priorities. it's like making me take the SAT in 7th grade, you would imagine, "helped" me get a higher SAT score later. (fine). but how much higher, and was the effort worth the outcome? and what kind of drawbacks did all that time studying have? sunk costs. personal opportunity costs.

the other reason why some counselors totally disgust me, is that they are condescending. a psychologist, when i was 17, had the nerve to ask what my precious lil "parents" do not like about me.

i beg his pardon?

he made it sound like my precious lil "parents" had a moral right to not have to deal with anything about me they did not like.

how about they did not like that i was not neurotypical? they did not like that i was not cisgender? they did not like that i was not a Perfect Chinese Daughter? they did not like that i was not an SAT prodigy? then what?

but, in the psychologist's defense, he correctly assumed that my precious lil "parents" were paying for counseling. not me. so the psychologist was just providing customer service. :mrgreen:

and then when i was 16, a school psychologist had the nerve to tell me that middle school precious lil "people" bullied me b/c they were jealous that i did better at school than they did. and that "if you work hard, you can be whatever you wanna be when you grow up."

the school psychologist did not know who the bullies were. the school psychologist did not know what emotions the bullies felt. thus far, in medicine and psychology, there is no method of proving that someone has a certain emotion. and besides, what if they were jealous, then what? there are a lot of methods of expressing jealousy, that do not involve violating the Mandated Reporter law.

and besides, i am jealous of a lot of precious lil "people". b/c they are cisgender, neurotypical, skinny, handsome. normal. or @ least, more normal than me. which ain't saying much. some are academically smart. some are vocationally competent. some have friends.

and i do not express that jealousy, in a way that violates the Mandated Reporter law. or any other law. :lol:

jealousy is just an emotion. natural or artificial. it happens. it is not like a catastrophe.

"life" goes on. seriously.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

why did your counselor tell you to go to college? what was the context for that order? did you tell the counselor you wanted a job that required college? where did the subject of college come from? what kind of job do you work at? are you satisfied with your job? what college major and which college did the counselor tell you to go to?

b/c in some cases, it is a good idea to go to college.

in some cases, it is a bad idea to go to college.

if your counselor keeps pressuring you to do something you find ineffective, get another counselor.

Rob56
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jun 2017, 4:18 am

It's sad that nowadays education doesn't matter to a lot of people. But I think that it is really important to go to college or university because it helps, prepares us for adult life. To be honest, I thought that I needn’t to go to college but after graduation I realised that this was a necessary part of my life (a period of time from being a child and becoming an adult). Yes, studying at college wasn't the easiest period of my life, I received help from family, friends, asked [url]https://[/url] to write my essays. But in the end everything turned out to be great and I received a well-paid job. If you have an opportunity to go to a college don't miss it. :)

Last edited by B19 on 11 Dec 2019, 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.: spam