80% of aspies fail out/unemployed after 4+years of college

Page 7 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Rob56
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jun 2017, 4:18 am

It's sad that nowadays education doesn't matter to a lot of people. But I think that it is really important to go to college or university because it helps, prepares us for adult life. To be honest, I thought that I needn’t to go to college but after graduation I realised that this was a necessary part of my life (a period of time from being a child and becoming an adult). Yes, studying at college wasn't the easiest period of my life, I received help from family, friends, asked [url]https://[/url] to write my essays. But in the end everything turned out to be great and I received a well-paid job. If you have an opportunity to go to a college don't miss it. :)

Last edited by B19 on 11 Dec 2019, 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.: spam

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 4:29 am

I knew I missed out on something important.

Even people who don't work in the field they majored in seem to have a maturity I lack. Even when they're younger than me.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 10:48 pm

It's sad that nowadays education doesn't matter to a lot of people. But I think that it is really important to go to college or university because it helps, prepares us for adult life. To be honest, I thought that I needn’t to go to college but after graduation I realised that this was a necessary part of my life (a period of time from being a child and becoming an adult). Yes, studying at college wasn't the easiest period of my life, I received help from family, friends, asked https://au.edubirdie.com to write my essays. But in the end everything turned out to be great and I received a well-paid job. If you have an opportunity to go to a college don't miss it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

pretty much anything you do helps prepare you for adult life: volunteer work, minimum wage jobs, travelling, Peace Corps, military, college.

and in some ways, going to college just postpones adult life.

college has pros and cons, just like everything else.

society grotesquely exaggerates the pros. and minimizes or denies the cons altogether.

and everyone's situation is different.

financial situation, career goals, IQ score, priorities

besides nowadays, some articles claim that half of people with Bachelors degrees work at jobs that do not require degrees.

and nowadays plenty of students take out large loans. and then default on loans.

the whole "college is for everyone" concept repulses. disgusts me. seriously.

especially the social sciences and humanities majors.

college was so stressful

and for me it wasn't necessary to get the several minimum wage jobs i worked at.

when i went to college, i did not fit in socially.

and i could not keep up academically.

and things cost so much in la jolla.

and precious lil "people" were superficial, self important, entitled, impatient.

:oops:

seriously

among all the major mistakes i have ever made, by far one of the largest: going to college.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 12:26 am

^ Did you graduate? If not did you get a good job without a degree?

I bungled into a job but without a degree there's no chance for advancement. I was reading through all the roles I can apply for internally and they all require a bachelor degree. Not an obstacle for most of the staff. Nearly all of them have a bachelor of software engineering. HR take it for granted that everyone has a degree in the same way that people take it for granted that cars have four wheels.

shortfabaldtuglyman wrote:
and precious lil "people" were superficial, self important, entitled, impatient.
Are college students really like that? I was hoping they'd be intelligent, sociable, spontaneous and knowledgeable about obscure literature and music.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 10:06 pm

^ Did you graduate? If not did you get a good job without a degree?

I bungled into a job but without a degree there's no chance for advancement. I was reading through all the roles I can apply for internally and they all require a bachelor degree. Not an obstacle for most of the staff. Nearly all of them have a bachelor of software engineering. HR take it for granted that everyone has a degree in the same way that people take it for granted that cars have four wheels.
________________________________________________________________________________________
shortfabaldtuglyman wrote:
____________________________________________________________________________________
Are college students really like that? I was hoping they'd be intelligent, sociable, spontaneous and knowledgeable about obscure literature and music.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

yes. got a BA in Cognitive Science from UCSD. since then worked as a Data Entry Clerk, Communications Contractor, Actor, Recordkeeping Assistant. all the "jobs" (if you could call them jobs) were barely above minimum wage. except communications contractor. that was paid per product. and 40 cents per review. below minimum wage.

yes i did get jobs. and then those precious lil "people" had the nerve to fire my worthless corpse.

were they "good" jobs? that's subjective. the jobs were good, in that i did not have to interact with anyone. did not have to do anything physically difficult or dangerous. just boring. they were not good jobs, in that they barely paid. and that the precious lil "people" that interacted with me were condescending.

about your job. :oops: a job counselor said that sometimes, applicants that did not meet all the requirements listed in the job listing, get hired. :mrgreen: (maybe that does not happen often. or maybe it happens only under extreme circumstances.) and yes, everything else being equal, it's better to have a degree than not have a degree. but everything else ain't equal. besides, it also matters what school, what degree, what subject, and sometimes GPA. so whatever.

but, in STEM fields, they are more anal retentive than social science and humanities.

among the college students that interacted with me, a disproportionate number seemed (to me), to be superficial, self important, entitled, impatient. the way they seemed to me was not necessarily the way they seemed to everyone or anyone else. likewise, the college students that interacted with me are not the same ones that interact with you. the world contains a lot of college students. the ones that interacted with me are not a representative sample.
____________________________________________________________________________________
" I was hoping they'd be intelligent, sociable, spontaneous and knowledgeable about obscure literature and music." some of them are. some of them are not. you have to specify which college student. and at which time. sometimes i am sociable myself. but the older i get the more it all seems useless and stupid. and not worth the energy.

nearmint
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jul 2017, 12:19 am

I have so far only read the first page, but this thread really speaks to my heart. So far, the thread author and beckys' posts are my favorite ones. Thank you.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 4:28 am

Learning2Survive wrote:
Much better for them to get a job, a stable paycheck, learn to show up on time, to apply and to interview, to pay bills and to know that they can survive on their own. Then, when they have 1-3 under their belt, and a back up source of income, they can go to a college in the field where they have already worked. They should go into paraprofessional work such as HVAC techs, mechanics, hospital assistants, computer techs, low level IT techs or interns, and so on.

Ok but how can I handle the stress of getting my degree while I'm working full time?

JeanCunniff
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jul 2017, 10:07 am

Wow! I knew, that many people fail out from college, but don't think that "many" make up to 80% 8O

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 9:40 pm

Wow! I knew, that many people fail out from college, but don't think that "many" make up to 80% 8O
________________________________________________________________________________________

where did you get the 80% number?

a lot of students might have undiagnosed or undisclosed autism. furthermore not getting a diagnosis might make it easier to flunk out of college, in that they do not qualify for testing accommodations.

what geographic area (city, state) does that 80 percent apply to?

seriously though. among the precious lil "people" that i have interacted with, a disproportionate number of students that seemed (to me) to have a lot of autism symptoms, majored in STEM. especially computer science.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 10:26 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
seriously though. among the precious lil "people" that i have interacted with, a disproportionate number of students that seemed (to me) to have a lot of autism symptoms, majored in STEM. especially computer science.

You'll find them all over in college: music, arts, social sciences, etc. Pretty much any discipline that rewards pattern recognition and reconstruction you'll find autistics, and that's pretty much every field of study. Most higher functioning autistics don't have problems with the actual courses they take, they have social issues at school that effect their performance, or social issues that hurt their job prospects after earning said degree.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 4:55 pm

My college days are soo over. I left nine years ago and haven't looked back since. Tell a lie, I got my reimbursement back then moved forward, or so I thought. The barbershop let me down so in the end, and a dead end retail job was already on the cards, before that also went downhill.
Got to find a placement somewhere that fits, so evertually so that i can get a certificate to work in a school.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 9:14 pm

You'll find them all over in college: music, arts, social sciences, etc. Pretty much any discipline that rewards pattern recognition and reconstruction you'll find autistics, and that's pretty much every field of study. Most higher functioning autistics don't have problems with the actual courses they take, they have social issues at school that effect their performance, or social issues that hurt their job prospects after earning said degree.
___________________________________________________________________________________

autistics major in a wide variety of college majors. (fine). but they are disproportionately represented in STEM, especially computer science. but whatever. i can't cite a study. it's just based on my nonrepresentative experience.

yeah and i had problems with the courses that i took. starting from the first undergrad level calculus, and physics. every structural engineering class, i had trouble with. with the exception of the first one. every mechanical engineering class, i had trouble with.

cognitive science, had trouble with the neuroscience/neuroanatomy. mostly. the other classes were not particularly hard.

got one B+ in the whole Cognitive Science BA. that was my highest grade.

but maybe i ain't a higher functioning autist.

when i was 21, the neuropsychiatrist gave me a DSM Axis V: Global Area Functioning score. 65 out of 100. 100 the best.

yeah and i had social issues at school too. for example, never found anyone that was willing to share a room with me. had to live with strangers. some of those strangers were homophobic.

and after school had problems getting jobs.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 8:15 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
i had social issues at school too. for example, never found anyone that was willing to share a room with me. had to live with strangers and after school had problems getting jobs.

You can't really blame us for trying though. Yeah, social issues have a vast impact on mental structures that require the routine infrastructure so much so, you're constantly running after it tryig to make an impact on all who've lied and said bad things about you. In the end, you think, what's the point in trying to adapt to please the masses?
If you can do it, great, if you want to shut yourself off from other people, your choice, if you want to create a more modern human existence for places and causes you hold dear, go right on and do it.
If again, no one wants to hear you embrace it, it would be their choice to go back on their morals.

Cardia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Aug 2017, 9:53 pm

This does not surprise me at all. My uni has ZERO disability scholarship opportunities or clubs. The general bursary did not ask about disability, but instead asked pretty much exclusively about minority status or financial need. At this point I have had to re-take take three courses in the past due to lack of support from the uni during my mental health crises - and will have to re-take another, unless I drop out... but I'm more than half way done my degree, I just want to get it over with and figure my life out...

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 9:59 pm

Cardia wrote:
This does not surprise me at all. My uni has ZERO disability scholarship opportunities or clubs. The general bursary did not ask about disability, but instead asked pretty much exclusively about minority status or financial need. At this point I have had to re-take take three courses in the past due to lack of support from the uni during my mental health crises - and will have to re-take another, unless I drop out... but I'm more than half way done my degree, I just want to get it over with and figure my life out...

______________________________________________________________________________________

some of the "disability scholarship opportunities" come from outside the school.

besides, where does that number "80%" come from?

among the diagnosed? what about the undiagnosed?

and what is the corresponding number, for NTs?

especially after the 2008 recession, plenty of college graduates (bachelors, masters) do not have jobs or work at jobs that do not require degrees. especially social science and humanities majors. baristas at starbucks. NTs and autistics.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 10:13 pm

Learning2Survive wrote:
They should go into paraprofessional work such as HVAC techs, mechanics, hospital assistants, computer techs, low level IT techs or interns, and so on.

They should? Why? Personally, I couldn't do a job that was in any sense "technical", because I just don't have what it takes: I'm not technically-minded, I've always struggled with maths, and have always been far better at subjects like English and History.

Don't propagate the lie that all of us "Aspies" are great with numbers, and computers, and all of the rest of that boring stuff. We're not, we're all different.