Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ben_Shapiro
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jun 2009, 4:45 pm

In Britain we are honestly fortunate due to our high quality television and for most people educational television is very unimportant, so I suppose they try to please as many people as possible and if that means those who dislike learning then that is what happens. You could of course apply for a job at the BBC on the premise of trying to make an interesting educational program, but I fear unless you aim it at those who struggle to count and are under 3 they may just laugh at you.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 4:51 pm

Ben_Shapiro wrote:
In Britain we are honestly fortunate due to our high quality television and for most people educational television is very unimportant, so I suppose they try to please as many people as possible and if that means those who dislike learning then that is what happens. You could of course apply for a job at the BBC on the premise of trying to make an interesting educational program, but I fear unless you aim it at those who struggle to count and are under 3 they may just laugh at you.

yeah i guess we are lucky, i'm just bitter at the TV industry & the fact i was silly enough to pay the licence.. don't mind me.
also the BBC has "have i got news for you" &"QI" small consolation, but they bring a smile to my face. :)

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 5:00 pm

Quote:
Advertisements.. i could happily watch any old cr*p if my television didn't start trying to sell me something i don't need every 10mins.

Ironically, as much as I hate the commercials (as we yanks call them) they do occasionally show moments of intelligence and brilliance. If I remember anything about TV, it's certain really clever commercials. :roll:

But the laugh tracks give me a head ache!

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 7:10 pm

TV is awesome. Yes I watch it alot and if its replaced I will go mad. The internet is not the same thing and never will be yes you can watch certain shows but the box is smaller and for alot of people hurts there eyes alot more so go tv and down with the internet taking over.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 7:31 pm

TV is an integral and important part of my life.
I love it.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 7:46 pm

DonkeyBuster wrote:
Quote:
Advertisements.. i could happily watch any old cr*p if my television didn't start trying to sell me something i don't need every 10mins.

Ironically, as much as I hate the commercials (as we yanks call them) they do occasionally show moments of intelligence and brilliance. If I remember anything about TV, it's certain really clever commercials. :roll:

But the laugh tracks give me a head ache!

i often remember the clever advertisements, but they often make the mistake of making a statement that i will take literally & disagree with, thus i often end up thinking, or sometimes saying aloud what is wrong with the statement.. i can happily watch the obscure ads, at least until the brand is mentioned, but i seem to be somewhat "allergic"/hypersensitive to adverts.
used to love the "Tango" adverts, for instance, because they didn't explicitly state that "i should buy Tango" :?
i seem to take almost everything too literally..
that said, check this out.. i say "One hand clutches the other" &you would say..? ;) (cookies for anyone who gets it**)

**No cookies, sorry

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 7:52 pm

Quote:
i say "One hand clutches the other" & you would say..?

Why did Bodhidharma come from the east?

:lol:

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 8:33 pm

I got rid of my television a little over a year ago and haven't looked back. Yes, they are very intrusive and frankly very expensive to have. When I do get the urge to watch something, there's always something online. Lately, though, I don't watch much television at all. When I was a girl, I prefered television to real people but there's something about acting these days, I can't read the actors' expressions very well any more. I think they must have been exaggerating their expressions for the film and now that most have switched over to digital recording they just don't need that level of exaggeration anymore, so I'm seeing a lot of blank stares. It's gotten to where I mostly watch non-fiction shows, now, except for a few well-written favorites.

Regards,

Patricia

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 10:32 pm

Crassus wrote:
I also discovered Alton Brown is awesome and cooking is Science! and fun.

That's about the only thing I watch anymore on TV.

But I still use my actual television a lot, as it works really well for plugging my videogames into ;)

And movies, but I find myself watching a lot more Hulu lately.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2009, 11:42 pm

Ichinin wrote:
Fo-Rum wrote:
I watch all my stuff online

This is not an AS/Autism issue, lots of my friends are watching all stuff online. Lets face it, TV is a dying medium.

What I typed there wasn't meant to imply it that it was related to autism or asperger's. It was meant to convey that I don't watch "television", I just watch "shows" as I put it, from my computer. Same idea though I figured, just a different medium.

Crassus
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jun 2009, 4:05 am

"The internet is not the same thing and never will be yes you can watch certain shows but the box is smaller and for alot of people hurts there eyes alot more so go tv and down with the internet taking over."

I have a 50 inch plasma monitor in my living room that I use my FIOS to stream shows from the internet. Image quality is either as good as or better than antenna reception in my area. If I decide I want "cable tv" it will actually just be my FIOS that I already have, but verizon will give me a DVR with a decryption key so I can pull programming straight from them. If I like a program that gets scheduled to air from 8 to 8:30 and I watch it as it originally airs, it takes me thirty minutes to get on average twenty two minutes of actual program content. I watch the same show by streaming it from hulu.com to my plasma monitor, I get an average of two minutes added onto my program content, just one 90 second commercial or two to three 30 second spots.

I don't understand why this might be off topic since as far as I can tell that is exactly what is being discussed here. The premise is being put forward that people are not watching television anymore, they are instead watching audio/visual media over the internet. If you say that it has to be radio waves to be television, I say what about so called cable television? coax or fiber optic are not television, but satellite is? They are giving you the exact same shows on the exact same channels largely. If you say it has to be prepackaged then I say why doesn't Hulu.com count? nbc.com has something they call NBC Direct, I could watch the season finale of 30 rock in high def right now. Why is this not television?

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 7:55 am

Quote:
I don't understand why this might be off topic since as far as I can tell that is exactly what is being discussed here. The premise is being put forward that people are not watching television anymore, they are instead watching audio/visual media over the internet.

No, the original query was whether others found TV intrusive and overstimulating, not whether it was still a useful, popular or valid medium.

So, from your various posts, I'm going to conclude that you do not find TV or its various permutations intrusive or overwhelming to your senses.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 9:46 am

DonkeyBuster wrote:
Quote:
i say "One hand clutches the other" & you would say..?

Why did Bodhidharma come from the east?

:lol:

hmm.. depends who you believe, i think the chinese emperor said he appeared before him..

erm but the answer was "I fear nothing" i was watching "Fear &loathing in Las Vegas" ;) no cookies, except for me i'm afraid.

WoodenNickel
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jun 2009, 10:47 am

American football is my Sunday religion. I like other sports, too. Otherwise, I find that there is less and less to watch. American comedy has become "puerile and browbeating" (George Will). Old movies are no longer shown on the broadcast channels. I hate the MTV influence, with its flashing images, unsteady and inhuman camera angles, etc. I often have to look away from the ads. Somehow, I don't think that's what the advertisers are trying to accomplish. I find the music on some cable shows distracting. I go to bed too early to watch the good stuff: British shows, classical music, good documentaries.

It's a good thing that I don't have time to watch TV anymore. :wink:

Crassus
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jun 2009, 11:08 am

DonkeyBuster wrote:
Quote:
I don't understand why this might be off topic since as far as I can tell that is exactly what is being discussed here. The premise is being put forward that people are not watching television anymore, they are instead watching audio/visual media over the internet.

No, the original query was whether others found TV intrusive and overstimulating, not whether it was still a useful, popular or valid medium.

So, from your various posts, I'm going to conclude that you do not find TV or its various permutations intrusive or overwhelming to your senses.

By participating in the discussion of the thread rather then simply responding to the original poster without considering the responses they had already received, the conversation moved beyond simply responding to the query. I'm addressing what I see as a false dichotomy. Anything that stimulates my senses is capable of overwhelming me. The more commercials or advertisements I am exposed to, the more likely I will become uncomfortable, they almost always feel like an intrusive distraction. At best they are an amusing distraction. Television does not mean commercials or advertisements. It is just a medium for communication. Sometimes I want to experience what is being communicated, sometimes not. This holds true for all experiences.

Doro
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 3:43 pm

BadPuddle wrote:
I don't miss it at all. For entertainment, I surf the web, read and listen to the radio.

Same here. :wink:

I never bothered getting a TV. DVDs work pretty well on my PC.