Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BadPuddle
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2009, 5:25 am

I don't have a television. I didn't intend things to be this way, but when I moved into my current home, 3 years ago, I didn't realise there was no outside aerial. I had a small LCD TV that came free with my mobile phone and it doesn't work with an indoor aerial. So, no telly for me.
My housemate has one in her room, but I very rarely look at it.
I don't miss it at all. For entertainment, I surf the web, read and listen to the radio.
Now I don't have one, I realise how intrusive they are. They are like one of those visitors who demand attention and talk a lot of loud nonsense. I find I can focus my mind better and generally feel less stressed.
Any thoughts on this?

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2009, 5:51 am

I have a lot of issues with pain, and painkillers don't really help. I find that it is most bearable when watching a show of some sort. I watch all my stuff online, and overall I enjoy the stuff I do watch.

For my situation, it helps to have shows to watch.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 6:07 am

Fo-Rum wrote:
I watch all my stuff online

This is not an AS/Autism issue, lots of my friends are watching all stuff online. Lets face it, TV is a dying medium.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 7:53 am

I do not have a working telly but I do miss some important football matches that I would like to watch as I probably am one of the only few aspies that like football. Anyway I watch all my stuff online and the quality of telly nowadays is so appalling too much reality TV only fit for neurotypicals I can see the demise of the television as a viable form of entertainment during the 2040s. Internet replaces telly on alot of things anyway.

Saspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2009, 8:01 am

I do not have a TV. I got one at home when I was 8 and then when I moved out of home at 18 I never bothered to get one. My partner never had one either so when we moved in together I still did not end up with a TV. People seem to think it is weird. I have been offered many free TVs and even won one in a work raffle. I gave it away though as I really do not see the need. If I want to watch something badly I will download it. But there is not much I watch.

Crassus
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2009, 8:15 am

If you are watching shows that air on "television" but not on something you designate "the television" I think you are still watching television. I don't think of my plasma screen in the living room as a television, I think of it as a plasma screen. The vast majority of things I watch on it are being streamed off Hulu at this point I would say. For instance last evening I watched the weeks 4 episodes of daily show and the season 3 premiere of burn notice off hulu through my ps3, and that was it. I'll set aside time to watch SYTYCD when it airs over the antenna, and if newshour with lehrer is on and I realize it I'll certainly turn it on, but otherwise I can just go to the website. Besides those, I'm all about sports. When I lived with a girl who had to have cable for food network (was a professional chef) I discovered I could watch ESPN classics forever. I also discovered Alton Brown is awesome and cooking is Science! and fun.

With the increasing presence of methods to timeshift, being beholden to an antenna versus on demand content just doesn't make sense the way it once did.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 10:41 am

I haven't had a TV for a couple of decades, and the only think I miss is Masterpiece Theater... and only some of those. When I travel, I'll turn the TV on in the room and remind myself why I can't stand the idiot box. Too much noise, too much flash, too little sign of functional intelligence apparent. And I hate myself for getting sucked into stupid marathon days... Monk, Trek, etc. It's like spending a day braindead.

I literally cannot carry on a conversation with a TV on in the room, even with the sound off. The flashing pictures disrupt my thoughts too much, my Aspie curiosity wants to know, know, know and it's garbage, garbage, garbage. Aaargh!

We get DVDs by mail and watch a movie every week or two, that's it normally. And sometimes I don't even want to do that, but it's something my partner enjoys, and I don't mind sitting on the floor together with the dogs and getting stupid for a little while (she likes romantic comedies... need I say more?) if it makes her happy. :D

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 10:50 am

Ichinin wrote:
Lets face it, TV is a dying medium.

FALSE.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 2:54 pm

Crassus wrote:
If you are watching shows that air on "television" but not on something you designate "the television" I think you are still watching television.

Television is a linear, "spoon fed", information channel. Watching something over the internet, Pay Per View or similar "on demand" service isnt. There is no need for programming of TV anymore. TV can, and should be replaced ASAP.

gramirez wrote:
FALSE.

Another wonderful statement from an argumentation expert.

Crassus
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2009, 3:18 pm

Television is, literally, viewing in the first person from afar. You are distant from the perspective of the camera whether in a geographic sense or a time based sense, but you are able to see as it sees/saw. A television set is a device you might view this medium with, television programming would be content designed to be delivered via this method, television transmission is the method of distribution. A CRT or an LCD or a Plasma displaying the sunday night lineup of your favorite channel or a video editorial from your favorite online pundit whether it is reading it off an antenna or off the tivo or streamed across the house from your pc, is television.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 3:43 pm

Aren't you getting a little off-topic?

Ben_Shapiro
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jun 2009, 3:51 pm

Problem with internet is it is slow and a little unreliable where as television doesnt need to buffer or have download limits

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 4:26 pm

Advertisements.. i could happily watch any old cr*p if my television didn't start trying to sell me something i don't need every 10mins.. ironically perhaps i have close 1000 movies, many that i haven't seen or even opened but i will often watch films on broadcast television, or at least "try" (i have ADHD& often stop watching something, channel hop & then get "into" something else)

Ben_Shapiro
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jun 2009, 4:31 pm

The adverts do annoy me as well but I still believe that they are necessary due to them funding the creation of good quality television rather than horrendous reality drivel.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 4:36 pm

but i pay my TV licence!! lol the BBC has a responsibility to educate etc but they do this with outdated material from the 80's at 4am :(

Ben_Shapiro
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jun 2009, 4:45 pm

In Britain we are honestly fortunate due to our high quality television and for most people educational television is very unimportant, so I suppose they try to please as many people as possible and if that means those who dislike learning then that is what happens. You could of course apply for a job at the BBC on the premise of trying to make an interesting educational program, but I fear unless you aim it at those who struggle to count and are under 3 they may just laugh at you.