Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 10:46 am

I just saw "Terminator Salivation" and I must say, the action scenes are really something to drool over! I can't agree with the negative reviews at all, I thought it was a very worthy entry in the series, inventive and at the same time respectful of the earlier installments. I haven't felt this invigorated by a movie since I saw "X-Men: The Last Stand" (which also got a critical slating, come to think of it).

There are a couple of plot holes, but I'm not so anal that I can't enjoy a movie merely because it has a few illogicalities (or I wouldn't be able to enjoy any movies at all). I liked the characters - I was particularly surprised by Anton Yelchin whom I loathed in "Star Trek" but who came across as very likeable here. And I love the whole post-apocalyptic atmosphere - there were shades of "Mad Max" and "The Matrix" here, as well as of "Aliens". The score by Danny Elfman was also very good.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Jun 2009, 7:56 pm

The writers had two directions to go in...

1. Build up the relationship between John Conner and his father. Conner knows who he is but he can't tell him. Kyle is a kid compared to John so it would be this weird father/son... son/father relationship, not to mention Kyle would be a under John's orders, and John knows he can't get him kill until he completes his real mission.
2. Introduce an unknown and have half the film feature him

They choose #2. But I think #1 would've been a better choice.

The former things have passed away."

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 2:27 pm

SPOILER WARNING

Well, unlike his mother, John Connor was never a very interesting character. As the title of the series indicates, the Terminators were always the real stars of the show, and in this movie, Marcus Wright can be considered the latest-generation Terminator. Still, there is a lot of John and Kyle in this movie, but since they've only just met, most of the relationship building will probably take place in the sequel.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Jun 2009, 2:41 pm

If there's a sequel. The film didn't do well financially.

The former things have passed away."

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 2:51 pm

Does it suffer from a lack of Arnie? Because Terminator 3 (whatever it was called) seemed to die when Arnie wasn't on screen.

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 4:11 pm

I watched the first three Terminator movies on DVD then went to see the new one. I hated it. The atmosphere was totally different and if there are any sequels I won't be going to see them. Terminator Salvation is just another war movie but with robots.

Vanilla Slice

Emma93
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jun 2009, 8:02 pm

I loved Terminator Salvation when i saw it at the movies.

I love the series as well.

Le_Samourai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jun 2009, 3:30 am

Saw it a few weeks ago, and I didn't really care for it. I thought Christian Bale didn't do a very good job as John Connor. He never shows the charisma to make us believe that he is this great foretold leader that inspires the resistance to keep on pushing. I normally like Christian Bale as an actor, but he didn't really impress me here.

*SPOILERS COMING UP!!*

Also, there were some inconsistencies that didn't really add up for me. For example, how was the T-800 able to withstand a blast from a M203 grenade launcher but gets blown to pieces by a pipe bomb in the first Terminator flick? And why was John Connor so hostile towards Marcus? John had his life saved by a Terminator twice, so how come its now that the idea of a Terminator on his side is so hard to swallow?

Emma93

20 Jun 2009, 4:43 am

I agree. Christian Bale didn't do a very good job.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 10:15 am

I was surprised the CSM-101 Terminator made an appearance even if it was CGI.

Emma93

20 Jun 2009, 5:15 pm

Haha. That was funny when there were a cgi arnie in the movie!

oli234
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jun 2009, 10:01 am

I saw this and to be honest I thought it was pretty crap. The action scenes were all pretty good, I've wanted to see what this post skynet world looked like ever since I saw the first film and it didn't disapoint in that sense. But I think all they really needed to do was make a gritty war film about people trying to fight extremly powerfull machines, and that actually the plot they've build up around that premise just takes away from the film without adding to it.

I mean if I wanted emotional drama and good characterization I wouldn't have chosen to watch an action film. And all the best action/horror films are usually based around a very simple idea, Alien: there's a big scary alien and it's trying to kill us, Terminator, there's a big scary robot and it's trying to kill us, Preditor: see alien.

If any of those films had tried to focus too much on the emotions of the charachters it just would have taken something away from the feelings generated by the basic premise and I think that's what happend in salvation.

Plus Christopher Bale is total dick, did anyone here that want he went on set? He was just screaming at the guy for like ten minuites.