Cartoon characters don't get older.

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 6:24 pm

Is it wrong now to not let your characters age, even though they're obviously NOT REAL?
I just get the impression that it is wrong for some reason.

I mean, if people want cartoons to be exactly like real life, then they should just watch live-action with real human actors instead. Although they're often less realistic. :P

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Apr 2018, 6:04 am

Doug aged alittle. He graduated middle-skewl in the last ep of the Nickelodeon series. Another network picked it up after Nick canceled it(I think the new series had something to do with Disney) & Doug was in high-skewl & his sister Judy who was in high-skewl when Doug was in middle-skewl, was in high-skewl.

The Nickelodeon show As Told By Ginger also aged some. She was in 7th grade when the series started, then they moved her to 8th, & later 9th grade before it ended.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 8:54 am

I think "Baby Blues" is one comic strip in which the kids do mature.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 9:22 am

MattShizzle wrote:
I was thinking if they did age - Bart would be around 30, Lisa around 27 and Maggie about 20.

Even characters in live action series don't age. The teens in Happy Days were all high school for like ten years.

In the Simpsons they did flash forward once, and have Lisa as about 27 getting married to Hugh Grant. They had another flash forward when Lisa is middle aged, and has just been elected president. Taking over from a predecessor in the Oval Office: a certain celeb the show's creators jokingly placed in the White House: Donald Trump (but THAT part could NEVER happen in real life. Lol! Trump as president. Really).

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 11:32 am

Pink Panther would be 55.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 12:46 pm

nick007 wrote:
Doug aged alittle. He graduated middle-skewl in the last ep of the Nickelodeon series. Another network picked it up after Nick canceled it(I think the new series had something to do with Disney) & Doug was in high-skewl & his sister Judy who was in high-skewl when Doug was in middle-skewl, was in high-skewl.
I mean Judy was in college instead of high-skewl after Nick canceled it.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 1:04 pm

Some character's have aged but not as quickly as they would in real life, or they aged up a bit and officially stopped.

Like in Peanuts the characters were younger than they are now. Charlie Brown was only four years old, Lucy was a toddler with weird googly eyes and nothing like her crabby, bossy older self today. I have some books of the earlier comics where Linus was still a baby, but now he's probably only a couple of years younger in Charlie Brown, and Lucy appears to be the same age as Charlie as well. Of course, the characters' ages are kind of vague. I remember Lucy once saying in a modern strip that she was eight, how many eight-year-olds run a psychiatric booth? :)

But then again, most characters who are kids act older than they're supposed to be, anyway. Probably because most of them were created by adults. :?

And in Baby Blues the parents originally had one baby and the humor was basically their adjusting to their new parenthood, but then later they had two more kids and there needs to be some logic in a cartoon so they all had to get older.

greenheron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Apr 2018, 4:45 am

Grandma Duck and Gus Goose apparently have died, she of old age, he of overeating. I never see Gladstone Gander, the Beagle Boys, Uncle Scrooge, or Gyro Gearloose either.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 10:25 am

....and celluloid heroes never really die.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 10:52 am

I forgot to mention that the kids on the Ducktails reboot grew alittle cuz they sound like men now.

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

02 May 2018, 3:15 pm

Yes. This is one of the reasons I can't watch cartoons, they lack too much logic. Same with musicals, I just keep asking myself how everybody knows the same songs and dances and why nobody questions the constant singing lol.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 3:41 pm

grinningcat wrote:
Fort56 wrote:
Ever notice how cartoon characters don't get older. They are always the same age.

"For Better or For Worse" by Lynn Johnston actually had the characters age. The cartoonist has since discontinued the strip for personal reasons but up until a year or so ago she had every character age, some died, including an elderly relative and the family dog. Funky Winkerbean has characters who age and die too.

Two exceptions anyway for you .... :wink:

When I was getting the newspaper, I loved reading the comic strips, For Better or For Worse, Garfield, another strip, I forgot the name, it about a red hair or orange baby, I forgot my fave strip & they were more. I did alot of drawings of comic strips back then in the 90s - to around 2005.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 4:05 pm

Bugs Bunny had a birthday, he is 80 years old, he looks great for 80 :D :heart: :heart:

remonay
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 May 2018, 10:37 am

Yeah most don't. I mean it'll cost too much money to invest in a animator or artist to do up constantly changing or aging characters. So... most of them exist in the same form for like 10 years, and then they die - well, along with the tv show at least.