Page 1 of 14 [ 215 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

Choose one of following:
I am very concerned about the preservation of white heritage/race 8%  8%  [ 16 ]
I believe the above concern is unfounded and racist 54%  54%  [ 104 ]
I think the view in option #1 raises some good issues, but SOME people take it too far 13%  13%  [ 25 ]
I think the view in option #1 raises some good issues, but MANY people take it too far 8%  8%  [ 15 ]
show me the money (view results) 17%  17%  [ 32 ]
Total votes : 192

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 5:47 pm

After seeing certain threads over time I'm wondering if there is a significant proportion of AS/autistics who hold racist views. Or, to use their language, are very concerned about "preserving white heritage" (and/or "preserving the white race").

Or is there a "silent majority" who thinks/feels otherwise?

I'm imagining controversial views are more common here due to less concern about the social pressures of holding such views, and are probably a more accurate reflection of what society thinks. OTOH, does social difficulty functioning in the world tend to foster such views? Or is that irrelevant? Black & white thinking or empathy a factor? Or extreme views just tending spark a lot of discussion?

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 6:02 pm

Despite my extensive arguing about "racism and doublethink", I'm not actually racist and don't hold racist views. I do see everyone as equal until they prove otherwise themselves. But I think that preserving culture in general is important, and not just white culture; Every culture is valuable and should be preserved. But I don't see skin colour as a factor in preserving culture, an Indian girl can be as British as a white person imo. But I think if someone moves to a country they should adopt that culture, as I don't like the idea of national cultures being diluted to the point that visiting england is the same as visiting france, apart from the language difference

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 6:05 pm

We're increasingly in a multiracial society. It's not going to change all that much. I don't worry about it.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 6:05 pm

I will not comment on what autistics think, but do not believe whites are the only ones who are racist.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 6:07 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
After seeing certain threads over time I'm wondering if there is a significant proportion of AS/autistics who hold racist views. Or, to use their language, are very concerned about "preserving white heritage" (and/or "preserving the white race").

Or is there a "silent majority" who thinks/feels otherwise?

I'm imagining controversial views are more common here due to less concern about the social pressures of holding such views, and are probably a more accurate reflection of what society thinks. OTOH, does social difficulty functioning in the world tend to foster such views? Or is that irrelevant? Black & white thinking or empathy a factor? Or extreme views just tending spark a lot of discussion?

How many people are you looking at?

The only ones that come to mind are codarac and brusilev. Neither of them post frequently as far as I can tell or are representative. I can't think of many other AS racists, can you?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 6:14 pm

I'm not sure how that one translates into racism. As in, if the person speaking wants to see all races go on, is it racist for them to refer to the challenges of their own group?

I think what's really being referred to is that, since it seems like a long shot to most people, its something they could only imagine a fringy giving enough thought to in order to even be worried about the ongoing of the white race. That sometimes makes it likely but doesn't create a direct link between wanting one's race to go on and a person being a racist.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 6:18 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I'm not sure how that one translates into racism.
You make a very good point. Racism is defined as a generalization of an entire race which implies it is genetically superior or inferior to another race or races. I would agree racial preservation would not seem not to fit.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 6:36 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
How many people are you looking at?

The only ones that come to mind are codarac and brusilev. Neither of them post frequently as far as I can tell or are representative. I can't think of many other AS racists, can you?

Not many, but Zoonic(sp?), and some of the hard core conservative folks come to mind. A search for "white heritage" and such shows some others (theChadMaster) who have such views. I deliberately made the question provacative(sp?) -- I don't actually think there is a majority of AS/autistic racists, but I am curious about the incidence might be (in this very unscientific way). Does it seem extremely rare, unheared of, or about about like it seems in the world, generally.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 6:59 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I'm not sure how that one translates into racism. As in, if the person speaking wants to see all races go on, is it racist for them to refer to the challenges of their own group?

I think what's really being referred to is that, since it seems like a long shot to most people, its something they could only imagine a fringy giving enough thought to in order to even be worried about the ongoing of the white race. That sometimes makes it likely but doesn't create a direct link between wanting one's race to go on and a person being a racist.

I was hoping to get at that with the last two options; the view that that there are legitimate issues brought up by view of option #1, but that they get derailed by people advocating unequal treatment, policies, etc.

I should've left out the "takes it too far" part, and just made it "there are legitimate issues brought up by the view of option #1, which are not racist."

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 7:05 pm

There is no "white heritage" as such. Heritage is an artifact of cultures and nations, not groupings according to skin pigmentation.

ruveyn

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 7:13 pm

claire333 wrote:
I will not comment on what autistics think, but do not believe whites are the only ones who are racist.

That's true. I'm of mixed races and I've gotten it from both white and non-white people (though there's been very little racism in my life) . I feel very much 'in the middle,' of concerns about racial purity/heritage since I'm a part of two, and also not purely one or the other.

(What's slightly amusing about it is being assumed to be a 3rd race that I'm not, and getting some stuff for that.)

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 7:24 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
(What's slightly amusing about it is being assumed to be a 3rd race that I'm not, and getting some stuff for that.)
You have no idea how much I relate to this statement.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 7:28 pm

Nope I don't consider myself racist in fact I cringe whenever anyone makes blunt generalizations about a group of people.

Although I'll have to say I think I sort of know where Claire's coming from in other aspects.

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 8:06 pm

There are very few if any people who are "pure" white/black/asian whatever. Nearly everyone almost certainly has someone of a different race in their background (it wasn't all that uncommon for a light skin black person to pass for white.)

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 8:13 pm

Race is just an environmental adaptation. It has nothing to do with intellect, creativity or anything else. It's only skin deep. There's no such thing as "keeping the race pure". Almost no one has a pure ancestry as most of us have a mix of this and that in our gene pool. People of different races have been interbreeding for thousands of years.

Shadowgirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jun 2009, 8:24 pm

I like everyone no matter what. Racism is stupid and intolerant.

Does God Exist? Here is proof he does.
http://www.everystudent.com/features/is ... 2godMANp2w