Page 6 of 14 [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

Choose one of following:
I am very concerned about the preservation of white heritage/race 8%  8%  [ 16 ]
I believe the above concern is unfounded and racist 54%  54%  [ 104 ]
I think the view in option #1 raises some good issues, but SOME people take it too far 13%  13%  [ 25 ]
I think the view in option #1 raises some good issues, but MANY people take it too far 8%  8%  [ 15 ]
show me the money (view results) 17%  17%  [ 32 ]
Total votes : 192

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 9:57 pm

I dislike racism but i dislike self-righteous political correctness even more sometimes.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 11:02 pm

Political correctness can become very tiresome. Recently, I watched a documentary about a woman in Brussels who was repeatedly harrassed by North African, mainly islamic men. Needless to say, at several times during the documentary she apologised if the 'framing' appeared racist, but that she didn't mean to, and that the only reason all men she portrayed there were North African and islamic was that those were the only men who said and did these things. She also added that 'just' one in twenty North African men she walked past plainly asked her for sex and didn't take no for an answer.

Glorifel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Aug 2012, 11:17 pm

I am half Japanese and at my old office I had a photo of my partner, who is 100% Japanese, on my desk. One of my female coworkers came over and asked out of nowhere, "So you only date Japanese guys?" I was speechless at this question and didn't know how to respond. If I say "yes" she will accuse me of racism, but her comment is quite racist itself. I kept quiet. Yes, I only date Japanese/Koreans but I don't HATE anyone else. It used to be "racist" to date outside of your race but nowadays people think you are racist if you prefer your own race. Granted I am half-blood but I was raised traditionally Japanese.

BTW, if I would have commented about the picture on her desk of her black husband ("so you only marry black men?") I'm sure I would have been reprimanded by my manager or possibly fired.

Anyway, I don't let stupid comments bother me. I don't care who people date, as long as they are happy.

NO, I am NOT racist.

G.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 11:24 pm

ruveyn wrote:
There is no "white heritage" as such. Heritage is an artifact of cultures and nations, not groupings according to skin pigmentation.

ruveyn

Precisely.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 1:28 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
I dislike racism but i dislike self-righteous political correctness even more sometimes.

The vast majority of people who whine about political correctness seem to be well off whites, scared to death of having their status and privileges undermined.

Cry about Godwin's law all you like, but self righteous political incorrectness on the other hand is far worse, and far more dangerous.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 1:42 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
Same. I just hate arrogance more than anything else.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 2:34 pm

Glorifel wrote:
I am half Japanese and at my old office I had a photo of my partner, who is 100% Japanese, on my desk. One of my female coworkers came over and asked out of nowhere, "So you only date Japanese guys?" I was speechless at this question and didn't know how to respond. If I say "yes" she will accuse me of racism, but her comment is quite racist itself. I kept quiet. Yes, I only date Japanese/Koreans but I don't HATE anyone else. It used to be "racist" to date outside of your race but nowadays people think you are racist if you prefer your own race. Granted I am half-blood but I was raised traditionally Japanese.

BTW, if I would have commented about the picture on her desk of her black husband ("so you only marry black men?") I'm sure I would have been reprimanded by my manager or possibly fired.

Anyway, I don't let stupid comments bother me. I don't care who people date, as long as they are happy.

NO, I am NOT racist.

G.

Uh, the fact that you made a big deal about it in your mind is itself somewhat racist. What's wrong with saying, "yeah, I prefer Japanese guys, that's my preference."? It's the truth, isn't it? Tiptoeing around the question, in and of itself, shows signs of racial thinking. Just saying.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 2:35 pm

You know what I hate even more than political correctness? Armchair psychoanalysts telling me what my opinions mean.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 3:05 pm

thomas81 wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:

The vast majority of people who whine about political correctness seem to be well off whites, scared to death of having their status and privileges undermined.

Cry about Godwin's law all you like, but self righteous political incorrectness on the other hand is far worse, and far more dangerous.

I'm not well off, but I'm white. Political correctness is specifically a feature of Western white-majority societies. As such, the white majority is the most likely to be criticized and chastised for violating political correctness. So it would make sense, logically, that whites would be the biggest critics of PC.

And you sir are proving the point. If I were to say something like "blacks love political correctness because they're lazy and it's just another tool for them to feel they're getting back at whites," it would be very politically incorrect, as well as incorrect and absurd in general.

But when you say the same thing, "oh, whites are scared of losing their special place so that's why they criticize political correctness!" you're doing the same thing, making a generalization about a group of people based on your own personal bias.

Double standard?

Glorifel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Aug 2012, 3:09 pm

again_with_this wrote:
Glorifel wrote:

NO, I am NOT racist.

G.

Uh, the fact that you made a big deal about it in your mind is itself somewhat racist. What's wrong with saying, "yeah, I prefer Japanese guys, that's my preference."? It's the truth, isn't it? Tiptoeing around the question, in and of itself, shows signs of racial thinking. Just saying.

I smiled and nodded to her and in no way tiptoed around the question. Why would she even ask that question in the first place? Race. It's astoundingly direct.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 3:20 pm

again_with_this wrote:
Double standard?

Probably doesn't help that the poster in question comes from a part of the world where there is almost no non-white immigration and non-white people full stop are a rarity so it's all very well for him to get on his high-horse but, speaking from experience of multiple visits to the Province, Northern Ireland is very sheltered in that respect. The Chinese, the largest ethnic minority in Northern Ireland, made up a quarter of a single per cent of the population in the 2001 census.

Last edited by Tequila on 04 Aug 2012, 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 3:24 pm

again_with_this wrote:
I'm not well off, but I'm white. Political correctness is specifically a feature of Western white-majority societies. As such, the white majority is the most likely to be criticized and chastised for violating political correctness. So it would make sense, logically, that whites would be the biggest critics of PC.

And you sir are proving the point. If I were to say something like "blacks love political correctness because they're lazy and it's just another tool for them to feel they're getting back at whites," it would be very politically incorrect, as well as incorrect and absurd in general.

But when you say the same thing, "oh, whites are scared of losing their special place so that's why they criticize political correctness!" you're doing the same thing, making a generalization about a group of people based on your own personal bias.

Double standard?

Surely the question is pertinent then, where are the non-white people who are criticising PC'ness? I am not seeing them and I don't think thats coiincidental.

I am not saying you are well off, hence my important and not to be overlooked use of the word 'most'. I have encountered working class, blue collar types complaining about PC, usually propping up the pub bar as they were doing so. Most of which aren't genuinely racist but are in fact victims of a cyncical collective effort by the gutter media to glibly forewarn and scaremonger about the imminent demise of a 'traditional' society with 'more wholesome' values where it was ok to snipe at your non-white neighbour with a racist epithet and not have to feel guilty about it.

If you are a ordinary white person, you really have nothing to worry or fear from about PC. the campaign against it is a divide and conquer tactic by our rich masters in government and in big business.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 3:26 pm

Glorifel wrote:
I smiled and nodded to her and in no way tiptoed around the question. Why would she even ask that question in the first place? Race. It's astoundingly direct.

Yes and no. It may seem impolite, but how can you definitely say it was racist?

Your boyfriend is Japanese. There's no shame in being Japanese. You really only date Japanese/Korean, again, no shame in that.

Is race such a taboo subject that whenever someone frames race within a question, most of us seem conditioned to think "RACIST!"? ...and that's kind of what you're doing.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 3:30 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Surely the question is pertinent then, where are the non-white people who are criticising PC'ness? I am not seeing them and I don't think thats coiincidental.

What I was saying is that whites are the most likely to be chastised for violating the sanctity of political correctness. Minorities are seemingly immune, therefore they have nothing to complain about, so you're not going to see any.

In fact, it's almost taboo to accuse of minority of not being PC.

The concept that, "when a white guy says something about race, it's racist! When a minority says something about race, that's perfectly alright" seems to be part of the PC discourse.

Personally, I don't care if blacks or whoever else want to make racist jokes or commentaries. I just don't like the double standard. After all, we're all supposed to be equal, right?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 3:31 pm

again_with_this wrote:
The concept that, "when a white guy says something about race, it's racist! When a minority says something about race, that's perfectly alright" seems to be part of the PC discourse.

Exactly - out-and-out racism from non-white people tends to be downplayed or ignored. If a white person was making similar statement, the opposite would be true.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 3:36 pm

again_with_this wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

What I was saying is that whites are the most likely to be chastised for violating the sanctity of political correctness. Minorities are seemingly immune, therefore they have nothing to complain about, so you're not going to see any.

In fact, it's almost taboo to accuse of minority of not being PC.

Personally, I don't care if blacks or whoever else want to make racist jokes or commentaries. I just don't like the double standard. After all, we're all supposed to be equal, right?

It comes back to my point about power relations, which i mentioned a page back ago or so.

I think you're exaggerating a little here. I've never once before heard anyone insinuate its implied for a white person to be racist to talk about race in any context (other than when they are being obviously racist). I mean, can you even give me a single significant incidence, where the so called PC-scourge has actually affected you?

I'll guarantee that if not in your case, then certainly that of your peers it is nothing but paranoia.