Is Asperger's syndrome / autism a disability?

Page 1 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

MJE
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2009, 6:28 pm

I've just posted for the first time, in response to the questionnaire asking people various questions about themselves.
     I wonder if I could now ask a question which I'd be interested to hear comments on. I have only limited exposure to writing by Asperger's or autistic people in forums like this; but from that I get quite a strong impression that, amongst such people, the overwhelming consensus is that the condition is *not* a disability, but just a personality difference from the majority (neurotypicals) that should be accepted because it's just part of who they are.
     I am not always politically correct about sensitive issues, and I question this view. Speaking for myself, my probable autism or Asperger's (more likely the latter) is a very severe disability which has wrecked my life, preventing me from doing any of the things I ever wanted to do. Some people may not want to cure their condition, even if this were possible; but I am pretty sure I would cure mine if that were possible.
     I would like to hear if anyone agrees with me, and acknowledges the blunt truth that it is a *disability*. I don't have a lot of patience with the view that obviously disabling conditions that cause great hardship and suffering are somehow just "different abilities" or some such. I see no advantage at all in denying obvious reality.
     I hope I am not causing offence by suggesting this - but I would be interested to hear if anyone agrees with my view, and their reasons for it. Of course if anyone wants to refute what I say and present arguments why it is *not* a disability, I would be interested to hear those arguments too.
     Thanks.

Regards, Michael.

Almandite
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jun 2009, 6:40 pm

It's both. It's a different operating system that is disabling in our social context.

happypuff
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Jun 2009, 6:45 pm

You'll find people here that agree with your point of view.

It just really depends on how you see it. Me personally I would love to magically cure the 'meltdown' side of things but keep pretty much the rest of it as it is part of my identity. I believe I am not in great hardship or suffering.

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 6:49 pm

Well, michael, this is a topic that has already happended several times and is certain to keep happening, so I'm sure you'll see lot's of opinions in several different threads.

To be honest though, it's as simple as the people who are successful/happy in life believe AS to be a personal trait and merely an acceptable difference, whereas people who wouldn't consider themselves so say AS is infact a disability. Opinion on the matter is based purely on this.

...really, it is.

Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 6:55 pm

It's a disability yes, in the sense that you're not as able to be social. It isn't so much of a disability that you can't contribute to society or anything IMO. Just a speedbump in life. Perhaps a major speedbump for some, but still, not an excuse to not work.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 7:00 pm

Ordinary is boring. I like who I am and I would not want to change, absolutely not!

Yes I don't fit in; that's true. I personally don't feel a need to fit into a ridiculous society where an eye glance and a strong handshake mean more than words. Besides, socializing is hard but not impossible! I'm comfortable meeting people as long as I get to choose when and how and who.

Most of us don't have that luxury at work, I understand that. Certain situations might be forced upon us in a setting where we are forced to interact with others at a threat of losing a roof over our heads (paycheck). Yes I can't work with others because they aren't good enough from where I stand and they know it and resent me for it. I'm lucky in that regard though... bosses at work sense I'm this eccentric genius who runs their IT stuff better than anyone so they let me have my way and leave me alone. If that were not so I don't know if my feelings toward this would be different or not.

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 7:03 pm

Prosser wrote:
To be honest though, it's as simple as the people who are successful/happy in life believe AS to be a personal trait and merely an acceptable difference, whereas people who wouldn't consider themselves so say AS is infact a disability. Opinion on the matter is based purely on this.

...really, it is.

No, that is not necessarily true.

----------------------

Anyhow, I consider it to be a disability; yes.
A disability doesn't mean bad thing, though.
I'm disabled; and yet, no cure for me, thank you.

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

Ruchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2009, 7:10 pm

Yes it if you are unable to talk to people or just get shouted at because you don't understand things has easy like everybody else.

WoodenNickel
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jun 2009, 7:31 pm

It's a spectrum. My AS is so mild that I can function in society. I'm just different. My Aspie cousin is not so lucky, she requires a lot of specialized education. Severe autism is a disability, because it leaves you dependent on others just to very basic things. Often, with help, a severe autist is capable of living independently.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 8:01 pm

Full blown autism of course yes, mild AS not per se but still yes if we talk about functioning in the average NT world, in the sense that you function differently and so you are unable to function like the others, like, say, a cat is unable to be a dog...of course no one considers a cat a disabled dog...

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 8:09 pm

My asperger's is disabling. A psychological report has stated that although I have a superior IQ, it is compromised down to an IQ of 60 in daily life, DUE TO the disability of my asperger's.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 8:16 pm

BelindatheNobody wrote:
No, that is not necessarily true.

Are you certain? I'm fairly sure it is.

What is your opinion on it BelindatheNobody?

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 9:07 pm

Michael,

Aspergers is a disability only if you let it become one.

In the early years of your life, it's crippling because people with aspergers are so different from neurotypicals and it makes friendships and relationships very very difficult.

As you get older, you learn to adjust, to build on your strengths and to compensate for your weaknesses.

Eventually, with the right attitude, you can rise above it.

It takes time and effort, but it's certainly possible.

08 Jun 2009, 9:36 pm

Yes it is a disability.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 10:36 pm

It's a disability, but it's not a tragedy like the people at Autism Speaks makes it out to be.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 10:55 pm

On the up side, perfect AS gives you the ability to specialize, superior overall intellect, freedom from the obsessive need to "socialize", a natural inclination towards rebellion and innovation, heightened senses, introversion that breeds creativity and better chances at awesome splinter skills.
On the downside, the more autistic you are, the more likely you are to suffer from comorbid conditions like anxiety, epilepsy, tourette's, OCD, learning disablities and mental retardation.