Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

typ3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jun 2009, 11:51 am

Seems like some of you guys might be getting internal monologue and subvocalization mixed up with auditory hallucinations. Internal monologue only becomes abnormal if the voice seems to come from outside your head or is audible, akin to when you hear sounds from an on-setting dream before you fall asleep.

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jun 2009, 12:01 pm

typ3 wrote:
Seems like some of you guys might be getting internal monologue and subvocalization mixed up with auditory hallucinations. Internal monologue only becomes abnormal if the voice seems to come from outside your head or is audible, akin to when you hear sounds from an on-setting dream before you fall asleep.

Absolutely. Internal monologues, and sometimes dialogues, are commonplace, even among NTs. It's only when a person is unable to differentiate between internal and external dialogues - ie, they think the voices in their head are actually real - that they qualify as auditory hallucinations.

One way to reduce internal dialogues if they're too overwhelming is Transcendental Meditation, allegedly - although I've never tried it myself.

Last edited by Locustman on 10 Jun 2009, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crassus
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jun 2009, 5:44 pm

That is what I always thought, and yet now that I actually look carefully, I'm finding the DSM says explicitly the opposite. In the preamble to schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders, it makes this note. "The narrowest definition of psychotic is restricted to delusions or prominent hallucinations, with the hallucinations occurring in the absence of insight into their pathological nature. A slightly less restrictive definition would also include prominent hallucinations that the individual realizes are hallucinatory experiences."

The DSM goes on to further clarify that prominent controlled hallucinations are a psychotic symptom, not that there's anything wrong with that. As in you are psychotic in the sense that is not normal, but not in the sense of oh my god get that treated! If it is not seen to be a negative impact on your life by you, there is no reason to treat it, but it still qualifies as a psychosis.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2009, 7:22 pm

naturally I subvocalise, but most of my though has no subvocalisation associated with it. I have a constant internal monologue, it almost never turns off :roll:

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 8:09 am

typ3 wrote:

You nailed it!

I love that period just before I go to sleep. In that state I can visualize things clearly.
I can take any song and play it on (say) bagpipes and organ and hear it just as clearly as if it was the real thing.

When I read a novel I "see" the scenes and "hear" the voices of the characters.
My son-in-law is a speed reader. He not only doesn't "hear" the words, he doesn't even see them. For him it is like the information on the page just goes straight into his brain.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 8:15 am

MysteryChild wrote:
I only found out recently that "audible thoughts" are abnormal.

Audible thoughts are abnormal?! 8O

...oh dear. I'd say about 60-70% of my thoughts are audible.

Crassus
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jun 2009, 8:29 am

Audible thoughts are normal, as are inner dialogues. They are suggested as common hallucinations to experience. It was the pointing out of this that lead me to explore and find out that my audible everything besides thoughts as well, along with vivid and externally located imagery, scents, touch experiences and tastes, are not "normal". I'm apparently not supposed to be able to mime reaching out and feel myself grasping an apple from a tree in front of me, rubbing it on my shirt, smelling the sweet-tangy fruity scent of a pink lady, bite into it delicately as I feel the crunch and snap and the juices flood my mouth. I'm supposed to know what those things should feel like if they were happening, not actually experience them and just know that I'm generating the experience.

I even learned that this means I'm consciously directing the metabolization of memory, because other people can invoke hallucinations in themselves through effort, it's just not supposed to be an all-day everyday thing like it always has been for me.

suleiman samsodien
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 May 2015, 4:31 am

Click on link below, true story and secrets of hearing voices
http://suleimanboyes.wix.com/hearing-voices-head
hearing voices in your head “secrets”

UnturnedStone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2015, 6:06 pm

MysteryChild wrote:
I only found out recently that "audible thoughts" are abnormal.

Wait... What?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 May 2015, 7:58 pm

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition