Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Kuroshokora
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jun 2009, 5:43 am

I'm a sixteen year old girl and I've recently been 'informally diagnosed' with AS. Now, I did have some idea of what Aspergers is from reading Mark Haddon's 'The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time' a few years ago, and I had never thought that this condition could possibly apply to me.
My first Q: I've heard that people with AS are frequently mathematically/scientifically minded, and although I can cope with these subjects, I frequently dip down into B or even C territory. Unusual?

RarePegs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jun 2009, 7:36 am

Kuroshokora wrote:
I'm a sixteen year old girl and I've recently been 'informally diagnosed' with AS. Now, I did have some idea of what Aspergers is from reading Mark Haddon's 'The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time' a few years ago, and I had never thought that this condition could possibly apply to me.
My first Q: I've heard that people with AS are frequently mathematically/scientifically minded, and although I can cope with these subjects, I frequently dip down into B or even C territory. Unusual?

Hi Kuroshokora (and welcome!). I think that that boy is too much of an extreme example of High Functioning Autism and unfortunately this propagates the perception that one has to be like him to be on the spectrum. We need to see much more moderate specimens than him in the public eye in order to promote genuine awareness of autism and Asperger's. Many adults from their 30s upwards are struggling to get recognised as autistic because we don't match the stereotypes like that boy.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 10:34 am

"Hi," Kuroshokora, and welcome to the Wrong Planet neighborhood.

Kuroshokora
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jun 2009, 10:57 am

Thanks for your kind welcome :)

I am getting quite confused because I think there are quite a few stereotypes going around. I mean, I knew there was something going on that made me different to my peers, but out of all the things I had looked at, I really hadn't considered Aspergers.

Is there any way I can be sure? My doctor says there isn't a way to really diagnose high functioning AS, but he's got a second and then a third opinion and they agree...

I've looked through the symptoms, but I can't really be certain as to whether I agree, as they seem quite vague. I don't seem to have the more defining factors, but I definitely have the social traits, motor issues, speech patterns etc...

I think I want to be absolutely positive before I say that I have AS, and what I'm wondering is whether there is a way that I can be sure, or whether I should just assume that this diagnosis is right until it's disproven.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 2:08 pm

There's no way to be 100% sure. However, if you're confused as to what each of the criteria means, this site might help. Also, there are a number of tests out there that test how likely you are to have AS. There are a number linked to on this site, but one I have taken is Wired's Autism Quotient Test. I don't have the tests saved to my favorites, and the sites where I got them from don't seem to be working, so I can't link any more right now.

While I meet the stereotype of being mathematically gifted (though probably not as much as most that meet this stereotype), there are a number that do not. I know one in particular at my school that is still in developmental math.

I've never been one to rely on grades to show my understanding of a subject. Grades can dip for a lot of reasons. I always managed to be in classes where testing was done in such a way that my understanding of subjects could shine. As such, I used my test scores to gauge my understanding. Other people might be able to do homework better, because their home situation is better for gauging their understanding. Where do you think best?

Edit: Oh, and welcome!

RarePegs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jun 2009, 2:21 pm

Kuroshokora wrote:
Thanks for your kind welcome :)

I am getting quite confused because I think there are quite a few stereotypes going around. I mean, I knew there was something going on that made me different to my peers, but out of all the things I had looked at, I really hadn't considered Aspergers.

Is there any way I can be sure? My doctor says there isn't a way to really diagnose high functioning AS, but he's got a second and then a third opinion and they agree...

I've looked through the symptoms, but I can't really be certain as to whether I agree, as they seem quite vague. I don't seem to have the more defining factors, but I definitely have the social traits, motor issues, speech patterns etc...

I think I want to be absolutely positive before I say that I have AS, and what I'm wondering is whether there is a way that I can be sure, or whether I should just assume that this diagnosis is right until it's disproven.

You can get a very good overview of the range of autistic spectrum symptoms by working through detailed questionnaires such as the "Aspie-Quiz":

http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

and the range of tests by Simon Baron-Cohen:

http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/tests/default.asp

You will get an insight to the diverse individuality of Aspergians by reading "The Myriad Gifts of Asperger Syndrome" by John M Ortiz:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Myriad-Gifts-As ... 1843108836

and if you want a very thorough account of AS, I recommend "The Complete Guide To Asperger Syndrome" by Tony Attwood:

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly. ... 22&a=11214

Kuroshokora
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jun 2009, 2:51 pm

Thanks a lot for all the links! This is the one I did first, because it seemed the most detailed (on the rdos.net questionnaire):

RarePegs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jun 2009, 5:59 pm

Kuroshokora wrote:
Thanks a lot for all the links! This is the one I did first, because it seemed the most detailed (on the rdos.net questionnaire):

What an impressively Aspie result! There have been many message threads here just devoted to that quiz. There are also several Asperger and autism groups on Facebook, which is how I found out about Wrong Planet in the first place. I've also recently joined a UK forum called Aspie Village http://www.aspievillage.org.uk/ and I hope to attend Autscape http://www.autscape.org/

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 8:51 pm

Welcome to WP!

Mom_of_Lucas
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jun 2009, 10:05 pm

Kuroshokora: I just took that same test today after seeing the link. My son (who is almost 3) has either aspergers or high-functioning autism. I thought maybe I might have some traits since there's a usually a genetic link. I didn't save my graphic, but it was way over on the neurotypical side, so I guess I'm "normal" (or so they think!) :wink:

Anyway, as the mother of someone on the spectrum, I have an enormous amount of respect for - and an intense curiosity of - anyone who is on the spectrum. I think you're all wonderful. :D

Kuroshokora
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jun 2009, 12:41 pm

Mom_of_Lucas wrote:
Anyway, as the mother of someone on the spectrum, I have an enormous amount of respect for - and an intense curiosity of - anyone who is on the spectrum. I think you're all wonderful. :D

Thank you. That means a lot.

Kyle_Kalideos
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2009, 3:12 pm

I was good at science... then I took Chemistry and got a D. I got a D in 6th grade math and C-B throughout the rest of my middle/high school experience so yeah I understand where your coming from. Technically I'm only good at video games which isn't much to be proud of or a sign of any high functioning AS. I'm trying to train myself to become devoted to practicing a violin or accordion instead of video games mostly to feel better about myself. So I guess the point I'm trying to make is that we all have the ability to devote ourselves to an interest better than most people. Maybe we just haven't found that something yet.

Also heres my results