Do you swing your arms when you walk?

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 3:18 pm

I just noticed that my arms are more or less still whenever I walk. Most people seem to swing their arms, but I seem more rigid in my action of walking. My gait can be erratic sometimes too. So how do you tend to walk?

Last edited by i_wanna_blue on 20 Jun 2009, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 3:22 pm

Never swinging.

One hand is always clutched tightly to the strap of my bag and the order is clutching the end of my jacket's sleeve or in my pocket.

I don't really pay attention to how I walk, but people have told me it's weird.

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 3:45 pm

LOOL!! absolutely not! I have all my life thought it looks so stupid to see other people swing their arms when they walk

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 5:09 pm

I've done it a few times, but usually I don't.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

brothersport
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jun 2009, 6:11 pm

I think I do it most of the time, but I believe it has more to do with seeing everyone else do it. I tend to feel self-conscious when I swing my arms, like I'm making an effort to do something that feels unnatural just so I don't "stand out in a crowd". Because of this, often I'll stick a hand in my pocket, scratch the back of my head, rub my chin, etc... anything to avoid having to swing my arms constantly or keep them still like dead limbs.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 7:18 pm

No, I don't swing my arms, I do ballet movements with my arms when I walk! :cheers:

OK, well, yes, I confess, most of the time I probably do swing them like any normal person. If I am walking from my home to the supermarket I do.

20 Jun 2009, 8:50 pm

Yes mine swing when I walk.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 9:04 pm

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

happypuff
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jun 2009, 9:32 pm

I tend to walk with no swinging and my hands bunched up as fists.

It takes me a while to convince people that this is in fact relaxing and comfortable and trying to be 'looser' and swinging them is incredibly irritating

Trystania
Raven
Raven

20 Jun 2009, 10:01 pm

1234 wrote:
Never swinging.

One hand is always clutched tightly to the strap of my bag and the order is clutching the end of my jacket's sleeve or in my pocket.

I don't really pay attention to how I walk, but people have told me it's weird.

Same here! I always have to have my bag or my arms feel kind of lost, like I can't decide what to do with them.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 10:20 pm

No, absolutely not. And when I noticed other people doing it (middle/late elementary school) I thought it looked stupid and apelike.
My arms are by my side, preferably with my hands in the side pockets if my pants.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

20 Jun 2009, 10:24 pm

I usually have one of my hands holding the strap of my bag and the other one in my pocket or folded underneath my other arm. If it's cold I'll walk with my arms folded, so I typically don't swing them. I find the sensation of swinging my arms when I walk horrible. I can feel all the blood rush to my hands over and over again which is disturbing.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 10:36 pm

Mine don't swing. I did at one time try and emulate the way people swing there arms, but my arms usually break out in an over-elaborate, exagerrated-looking stim.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 11:16 pm

Mine don't swing either. I just realized that I'm more robot that human. 8O

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 11:26 pm

[quote="happypuff"]I tend to walk with no swinging and my hands bunched up as fists.[quote]

The school doctor at my elementary school decided I had problems because he saw me walking like that. :roll:

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 3:24 am

Quote:
No, absolutely not. And when I noticed other people doing it (middle/late elementary school) I thought it looked stupid and apelike.

LOL that's exactly what I thought at that age too! I just remember sitting one say observing the way people moved and thinking how ridiculous it looked! All that swinging and moving when they speak! It made no sense! I personally have always walked with my arms held tightly against my chest (often fiddle with my fingers too) and now I have hemi-dystonia which makes my right arm twist up so it goes where it wants really!