Page 4 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

thaderane
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Dec 2011, 1:19 pm

Aimless wrote:
My son hears music-I was curious about it and looked it up on line and all the info seemed focused on mental illness. I don't buy it though. I think some peoples brains are just more creative. He also says there is a movie behind his eyes whenever he closes them. I used to see quite a bit of imagery but less so after meds. Now I have to be in alpha state. I've come to the conclusion that there is no particular meaning behind the images, just the flotsam and jetsam of my stream of consciousness. I have heard a few musicians state that they hear their compositions in their entirety in their head and they just write them down. Last one I remember was John Mellencamp. I'm curious though about music in your head and images. On rare occasion I have closed my eyes and seen a very clear image that stays stationary so it's like looking at a photograph (mostly they change constantly) do you hear the music the same way? BTW my son says the music he hears he's never heard before.

this is exactly what happens to me. I hear tunes that sound familiar, but dont exist. The music i hear is randomly generated and there is a certain melodic pattern that is rarely used in music. Songs like moonlight sonata movements 1 and 3 have this pattern. If every musician had this then they would all have over 100 albums that sound perfect rather than just maybe 3 good songs. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia but i dunno if this is involved with it. If it was, then maybe we could start hiring us into the music field (most likely as ghostwriters though). Also that picture shifting gets kid of annoying, i see things that if i could draw would make a masterpiece, but they shift so rapidly that i cant draw it. Its just like trying to draw a cloud. I think artists dont shift their images and that enables them to draw what they see or think.

Ollytheaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Dec 2011, 1:30 pm

Yes once I've heard a song, whether I like it or not it will play in my head on an end-less loop and I will hear it clearly with all the vocals and the instrumental sounds in the background, guess I don't need headphones do I? I can just listen to it in my mind.

Bill92
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2012, 10:11 pm

I also have a tendency to get music stuck in my head, but like many others who have posted here, it's more than just an earworm.
It's almost always a piece in its entirety replaying itself in my head EXACTLY as I heard it, note for note.
When I hear music (particularly music I like), I see very abstract colors, shapes, and textures (although sometimes they will take on very tangible forms). Using these mental cues, I can remember a piece of music which is very complicated with almost 100% accuracy. Music also quite often stimulates incredibly strong emotions for me (those that you feel in the pit of your stomach). In music I like, I feel an incredible sense of satisfaction which makes the images I see all the more vivid. For music that has lyrics, I will also remember the lyrics, but this process is no different from how I associate words in my head. I see the word in its entirety in my mind's eye and they just flash up in sequence with the music visualization (which is now taking place in the background).

Over the years, I've probably memorized hundreds of songs inadvertently due to these processes. However, I know that I can somehow influence these occurrances by looking at an image during the first time I'm hearing a new song. For example, I have memorized over 50 national anthems both the music and the lyrics in their native languages. However, one key difference here is that I typically associate the image of each respective country's flag with its anthem.

Mithra
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Apr 2012, 8:59 pm

I also get music stuck in my head with almost perfect realism as it replays over and over again. Like you are really hearing it again. Different topic.

What I would like to know is if other people experience "new, not necessarily real music" like I do. It is a little hard to explain (I asked my bf and he blew it off as music coming from another apartment...except this has been happening since I was a child. House, apartment, any hour).

Typically happens in a room with great echo capabilities (bathroom), but not always. I literally hear faint music (lyrics and all frequently), in numerous genres. This is not music I have heard before. If I had any musical talent, I would so make the craziest pop, rock, hip hop, jazz, country, classical, electronic album ever produced.

Anyone else have this kind of experience?

Bill92 wrote:
I also have a tendency to get music stuck in my head, but like many others who have posted here, it's more than just an earworm.
It's almost always a piece in its entirety replaying itself in my head EXACTLY as I heard it, note for note.
When I hear music (particularly music I like), I see very abstract colors, shapes, and textures (although sometimes they will take on very tangible forms). Using these mental cues, I can remember a piece of music which is very complicated with almost 100% accuracy. Music also quite often stimulates incredibly strong emotions for me (those that you feel in the pit of your stomach). In music I like, I feel an incredible sense of satisfaction which makes the images I see all the more vivid. For music that has lyrics, I will also remember the lyrics, but this process is no different from how I associate words in my head. I see the word in its entirety in my mind's eye and they just flash up in sequence with the music visualization (which is now taking place in the background).

Over the years, I've probably memorized hundreds of songs inadvertently due to these processes. However, I know that I can somehow influence these occurrances by looking at an image during the first time I'm hearing a new song. For example, I have memorized over 50 national anthems both the music and the lyrics in their native languages. However, one key difference here is that I typically associate the image of each respective country's flag with its anthem.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 9:39 pm

Aimless wrote:
I don't buy it though. I think some peoples brains are just more creative.

Ditto. I used to be able to rehear parts of songs as a kid (by will), and I miss it so badly. It never hurt anyone that my brain was like that. It was gone by about age 9.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 12:22 am

Peko wrote:
Yeah, it doesn't sound to odd, I have songs playing in my head almost constantly as well. I also hear voices of characters from stories (I've read or am writing) in my head :wink: . I think those kind of things show we have more creative minds (& can never shut them off/even when asleep)! I personally only think it is an issue if the voices give you orders, tell you creepy things, or something like that (thats sounds schizophrenic to me/ and bad). And seeing colors while hearing music or something may be a form of a sensory processing difference that is more common in the autistic pop. than others. Being more creative is a good thing! :D

On occasion, I'll hear bits of songs that have yet to be written in my head right before I drift off to sleep (as if my brain has already started to dream) or while I'm dreaming. I once had a snippet of a story play itself out in a dream, complete with some of the characters' names. I quickly jotted down what I dreamed and was able to build a story around it (they only piece of fiction I've managed to come up with since college). I love it when this sort of thing happens; I only wish I was more skilled with a piano so I could actually play what I hear in my head.

(As for ear worms, the music from the Nyan Cat YouTube video often lodges itself in my brain. Nyan nyan nyan...)