US president will have power to SHUT DOWN INTERNET!

Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2009, 4:55 pm

Aren't the root DNS servers under U.S. control - meaning that the President of the United States could possibly shut down the DNS system, not the internet per se?

EtotheC
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2009, 5:24 pm

xenon13 wrote:
Aren't the root DNS servers under U.S. control - meaning that the President of the United States could possibly shut down the DNS system, not the internet per se?

Yes the majority of root DNS servers are in the US, but the internet due to it's nature is adaptive, thus a simple work of rerouting traffic to other nation's servers is a solution.Also it would not even have down time, due to the redundant nature of the DNS system (and that's only technically for the web either way)

REAL MEN USE IP ADDRESSES!

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2009, 6:19 pm

They can give him the "power", but they can't give him the ability. The FCC has the "power" to shut down all pirate radio stations, but they don't have the ability. The police have the "power" to keep people from speeding 100% of the time, but again, they don't have the ability.

The president could give an order for all ISPs in the US to go offline, but he can't tell the other countries to, and if he did, the U.N. would say "yea, no".

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2009, 6:32 pm

normally_impaired wrote:

The president could give an order for all ISPs in the US to go offline, but he can't tell the other countries to

Yes this is only for the USA. Not other country's.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2009, 11:46 pm

If the US president uses power over ICANN (completely in the US) to shut down the root DNS servers it's clear that the rest of the internet would coalesce outside of US control entirely...

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 10:32 pm

there are probably 4 main portals out of the US (fiber lines, or somesuch), but there is an entire satellite network, phone lines (yes, some poor sods are still using modems, bless their hearts..;)
even radio signals, etc.

If countries like China (who have their 'legitimate' internet completely under state control), Saudi Arabia (probably the strictest censorship on the web, basically 'anything not permitted is forbidden'), and others don't have complete control over the web, in their own countries, then I don't see how the US Government could effectively shut down the internet.

If a network protocol (TCP/IP) was designed to be dispersed over several pathways, centralized control would be hard to effect.

And actually, the basis of power in the US (bear with me, all you conspiracy buffs), is the Constitution, not the Executive branch (as dubya found out to his sorrow). This comes pretty close to restrictions on Freedom of Speech, which would likely make it a slam dunk for the Supreme Court.

More control of the internet by governments is inevitable, but I doubt they'll ever get complete control.

Zornslemma
Raven
Raven

26 Jun 2009, 12:55 am

EtotheC wrote:
just-me wrote:
IT IS IN THE HOUSE AND SENATE RIGHT NOW!

NOT ONLY WILL THIS GIVE THE PRESIDENT POWER TO SHUT THE INTERNET COMPLETELY OFF , THIS WILL TAKE AWAY YOUR PRIVACY OVER THE INTERNET!

We need to stop this bill from going through!! !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQSoq7Ex ... re=related

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:S.778:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:S.773:

GET THE WORD OUT!! !! !!

Sorry, but as a programmer, I have to point out that this is a gross misunderstanding of how the Internet (an International series of interlinked networks/ terminals) works...

But yes net neutrality is still a good thing, in any sense

Im really depressed at the abundancy of conspiracy idiots here on WP :( . Disconnecting federal computer networks from the internet certainly IS doable, but shutting down the whole Internet(even just here in US) is impossible!

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 11:01 am

Zornslemma wrote:
Im really depressed at the abundancy of conspiracy idiots here on WP :( . Disconnecting federal computer networks from the internet certainly IS doable, but shutting down the whole Internet(even just here in US) is impossible!

Nepal managed to shut down the entire internet in their country in 2004. They shut down the phone network too. Nepalese couldn't make a phone call, or connect to any online network. Also, during a wildcat strike earlier this year by workers for a phone company in the US, somebody cut just four fiber optic cables, bringing down half of the San Francisco Bay Area. Not only couldn't anybody make a phone call or use the internet, all credit card terminals and ATMs went down, so nobody could pay for anything. It would be easier than we think to shut down the entire communication network in the US, especially in case of rebellion, so as to bring the country to a screeching halt. I hope you have some cash on you, or you can join the looters. After the supermarkets are looted, what then?

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 2:00 pm

Quote:
Nepal managed to shut down the entire internet in their country...

:lmao: Yeah, Prez Yadav pulled the one plug leading into his office and the whole country went down :lmao:

But my goodness, shouldn't we all be terrified if this bill was really out to down the public internet!? Especially since guys like former Senator Ted Stevens, the guy who was in charge of regulating the whole thing, showed such a clear understanding of how the internet worked! :lmao: We should all be up in arms... the US will shatter just one in this "series of tubes" and the whole thing will collapse! Hopefully, nobody will have the forethought to send someone else "an internet" in an email (like Stevens says he got. Yup, a whole internet. In an email. Golly)! But we'll track that down too if so and shut it off! Just like we tracked down Bin Laden under good 'ol G.W.! :lmao:

And as far as cutting the hard lines in every city in the USA, taking down all phone/data services (including wiping out 911 and most commerce, e- or otherwise), that's about the only way our gov't would pull this off. Information networks have always been most vulnerable to physical attacks.

But most important to realize (besides the entertainment value of the alarmists) is that this is entirely academic. This whole bill is just talking about Government systems anyway, and focusing on "critical" ones at that. We're not headed for 'looted supermarkets'. :lmao: I mean my Gawd, people, did any of you sounding the klaxon even bother to read S.778 before popping off? The only thing terrifying about it is that it is terrifyingly BORING.

You've now heard the opinions of experts, students and grads who are working in the industry, have a good understanding of the underlying technologies, and have posted here to reassure you (with varying degrees of completely-understandable snarkiness). You've also heard the opinions of the voices of experience and reason who simply know better. If all this counts for naught up against a youtube video with Stephen-Hawking-style narration, then by all means please continue :wtg:. A few colleagues and I are watching this thread with much interest. For me, this almost tops the deal with the Man-Eating Pliocene Clams here. Equally false, but funny-as-hell.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 10:41 pm

I'm not asking for a debate on weather its real. Check the links that I posted. There on the congress website.

If you think this is a conspiracy then your not very informed. The links are from congress , if you don't believe then click the links . That's your proof.

Just read the bill and if you think its a good idea, then let it go through. But if not then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 11:39 pm

ok...postulated...that the US President can 'push the button', and bring down every single bit of Internet in the US.

As they used to say in the early days of the Internet, the Internet sees censorship as damage, and routes around it.

What would happen, would be the rest of the world would just 'lock us out', and carry on as if nothing had happened (granted, most of the Star Trek and pr0n sites would go down, but...they'd get over it...;)

But, in the meantime, the economy would screech to a halt. You wouldn't be able to use a credit or debit card, do research, take online classes, and a lot of people wouldn't be able to use phone, twitter, and whatever cute little technologies we've come up with in the last few years.

Without the Internet, Obama might have lost. I still stand by the premise that the case would be a slam dunk under the First Amendment. Most folks in Congress know that.

Taking that all into account, I'm pretty sure the Government has a hidden hand on the Internet, no matter where in the world you are. I'm sure they record, analyze, spy, and take notes on anything that's 'suspicious'. Probably not in the ways they did prior to Jan 19th, but these days, 'gentlemen do read each other's mail'.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 12:09 am

just-me wrote:
I'm not asking for a debate on weather its real. Check the links that I posted. There on the congress website.

If you think this is a conspiracy then your not very informed. The links are from congress , if you don't believe then click the links . That's your proof.

Just read the bill and if you think its a good idea, then let it go through. But if not then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

shitsurei shimasu, but... CAN YOU READ?!

Cybersecurity Act of 2009 wrote:
The President...

(2) may declare a cybersecurity emergency and order the limitation or shutdown of Internet traffic to and from any compromised Federal Government or United States critical infrastructure information system or network;

(3) shall designate an agency to be responsible for coordinating the response and restoration of any Federal Government or United States critical infrastructure information system or network affected by a cybersecurity emergency declaration under paragraph (2);

In layman's terms, section 2 gives the President power to shutdown Federal Government and critical systems ONLY. (critical system = something with which our whole country would be screwed, such as the power grid, financial information databases or NORAD.)

Section 3 says that whatever the president screws up with the cybersecurity emergency power, he is obligated under law to clean it up.

Also, the ONLY mention of violation of Internet privacy...

(6) How to determine the origin of a message transmitted over the Internet.

...was followed immediately by this:

(7) How to support privacy in conjunction with improved security.

You see, unlike some people, I actually took the time to read and comprehend this document.

Now I'll admit that no law is not without the risk of someone abusing it for their own means. However, it would seem that whoever drafted this bill put enough checks and balances in it to ensure that such an abuse of power would at least be noticed and deemed illlegal. And remeber, this is a bill, not a law. If Congress doesn't think it's good enough, they will kill it and send it back to the committees for revision. That is how the system works.

Besides, America has a lot of enemies, and they are all chomping at the bit (pun intended) to hurt us one way or another. The easiest way they can do that is attacking from cyberspace, considering the degree with which we rely on information systems such as the Internet to do our jobs for us. And personally, I would rather lose the internet for a week or so than have the whole goddamn country firesaled by some Chinese hackers.

My advice to you: do your research before going on a "The government is trying to screw us over" tangent. America still has a ways to go before that.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 6:18 pm

Roxas_XIII You are right . This bill does not give the power to completely shut down the internet.

I knew that from the start but made it seem that way so more people would pay attention to what is going on in our country. specifically these 2 bills.

I should not have done that. In doing so I took the attention away from the bill itself. It made people focus on showing me I was wrong and I became focused on proving i was right.

I let my ego that the wheel and I'm sorry.

I am concerned with this bill because it is another step closer to further erosion of our liberties.

I cannot show you a single thing that proves this is happening. This is because it is many different things happening gradually over time.

I apologize for my ego and leave you with some quotes to help explain myself.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.
Abraham Lincoln

My dream is of a place and a time where America will once again be seen as the last best hope of earth.
Abraham Lincoln

Our defense is in the preservation of the spirit which prizes liberty as a heritage of all men, in all lands, everywhere. Destroy this spirit and you have planted the seeds of despotism around your own doors.
Abraham Lincoln

No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent.
Abraham Lincoln

To stand in silence when they should be protesting makes cowards out of men.
Abraham Lincoln

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

With public sentiment, nothing can fail. Without it, nothing can succeed.
Abraham Lincoln

You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.
Abraham Lincoln

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 7:34 pm

just-me wrote:
Roxas_XIII You are right . This bill does not give the power to completely shut down the internet.

I knew that from the start but made it seem that way so more people would pay attention to what is going on in our country. specifically these 2 bills.

I should not have done that. In doing so I took the attention away from the bill itself. It made people focus on showing me I was wrong and I became focused on proving i was right.

I let my ego that the wheel and I'm sorry.

I am concerned with this bill because it is another step closer to further erosion of our liberties.

I cannot show you a single thing that proves this is happening. This is because it is many different things happening gradually over time.

I apologize for my ego and leave you with some quotes to help explain myself.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.
Abraham Lincoln

My dream is of a place and a time where America will once again be seen as the last best hope of earth.
Abraham Lincoln

Our defense is in the preservation of the spirit which prizes liberty as a heritage of all men, in all lands, everywhere. Destroy this spirit and you have planted the seeds of despotism around your own doors.
Abraham Lincoln

No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent.
Abraham Lincoln

To stand in silence when they should be protesting makes cowards out of men.
Abraham Lincoln

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

With public sentiment, nothing can fail. Without it, nothing can succeed.
Abraham Lincoln

You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.
Abraham Lincoln

I'm sorry too, for insulting you. I thought you were making a big deal out of this bill before understanding it. Now I know that you did understand it, but you were trying to twist the truth to prevent a potential threat to civil liberty. Your method was wrong, but you at least had good intentions, and when I called you on it, you apologised and were mature about it - more mature than I was, in retrospect. For that, I commend you.

I agree that this bill does have some potentially unconstitutional aspects, but the majority of it is hardening security around government networks. I also happen to like the part of the bill that appropriates money to computer science scholarships for potential government computer workers. (I am a computer engineering major in dire need of money, you see.) I also think that America can bolster it's national security greatly via cyberspace defense, since it does happen to be America's Achilles heel when it comes to dealing with nations such as China and North Korea, countries that oppose us and have the technological ability to launch large-scale cyberattacks.

And, let's face it: we're under new management now. I'd be more worried about a bill like this if Dubya was still in office; however, Obama doesn't seem to approve of his predecessor's "national security over personal privacy" approach. Let's not forget the fact that the President has the power to veto this bill even if it passes through Congress.

I applaud you for doing your civic duty and preserving our freedom through protest like this; however, you don't need to twist the facts - the media already does that enough. Plus, if citizens know the true nature of this bill, they will be better placed to make an informed and intelligent decision on it.

Roxas

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 9:13 pm

"No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent. "

Votes are meant to entitle a person to do so, do they not? <.<

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 10:21 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:
I'm sorry too, for insulting you. I thought you were making a big deal out of this bill before understanding it. Now I know that you did understand it, but you were trying to twist the truth to prevent a potential threat to civil liberty. Your method was wrong, but you at least had good intentions, and when I called you on it, you apologised and were mature about it - more mature than I was, in retrospect. For that, I commend you.

That's ok, I definitely handled it the wrong way. I'm glad you called me on it. I think my fear got the best of me on this one.

Roxas_XIII wrote:
I agree that this bill does have some potentially unconstitutional aspects, but the majority of it is hardening security around government networks. I also happen to like the part of the bill that appropriates money to computer science scholarships for potential government computer workers. (I am a computer engineering major in dire need of money, you see.) I also think that America can bolster it's national security greatly via cyberspace defense, since it does happen to be America's Achilles heel when it comes to dealing with nations such as China and North Korea, countries that oppose us and have the technological ability to launch large-scale cyberattacks.

If the bill passes, I hope you get the scholarship. We need honest people like you working for the government. :wink:

Ive spent a little while thinking about why we need this type of security over the internet. I thought the government has a separate set of interwebs not connected to the main internet. Isn't this true? And if it is why is there a need for more security?

Roxas_XIII wrote:
I applaud you for doing your civic duty and preserving our freedom through protest like this; however, you don't need to twist the facts - the media already does that enough. Plus, if citizens know the true nature of this bill, they will be better placed to make an informed and intelligent decision on it.

Roxas
No your right I went about it the wrong way. I was scared and wanted to make sure it did not get through congress . I let my fear get the best of me.
Thanks for keeping me honest and being so understanding about it.

Just-me