Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Jun 2010, 9:16 pm

Talking to myself out loud is normal for me. Also I talk to the dog. I try not to talk to myself in public but don't always succeed.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 9:37 pm

I have noticed that I talk to myself alot. I am the NT parent of an AS little boy. I do it at home or in the car, or sometimes when I am shopping. I don't really do it in front of other people though. My son talks to himself or to us almost constantly. He is very rarely quiet. He also sings out loud to himself, says lots of non-sensical stuff. The funny thing lately is when he sees me talking to myself at home or in the car, he says "What are you saying, Mom?" I just think it is so funny because I don't even always realize that I am doing it, and I think it is funny that he is paying such close attention!

voot
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Nov 2011, 9:46 pm

I talk to myself a lot. I have never been diagnosed with Asperger's or autism but I developed serious OCD at age 6 and Tourette's syndrome a year later. I suffered starting at a young age from extreme anxiety and frequent melancholy, as well as intermittent insomnia. I have since developed severe depression due to marijuana and psychedelics and am on medications for that, for anxiety and for insomnia.

It has occurred to me that I talk out loud to myself or to others who I KNOW aren't present as a way of dealing with loneliness. I am very much a recluse. I often like to be by myself with my cats, to whom I also talk, yet at the same time it makes me very lonely. That's my take on why I talk to myself aloud, pretending, and being aware that I am pretending, that I have human company.

I also do it as a way of dealing with fear of evil people: I pretend we are together and as they get to know me and realize I'm an ok guy who is accepting them they become less scary to me. It's all a fantasy, in some ways an extension of daydreaming, I guess.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Nov 2011, 9:54 pm

I sometimes have conversations out loud with myself about things interesting to me like roller coasters. But, I don't do that in public.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 10:02 pm

MJE wrote:
  I'm wondering whether the habit of talking aloud to oneself when alone (or even in the presence of other people, but not talking to them) is common with those with Asperger's or autism.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I do this, sometimes at great length and in great detail; I am in effect thinking aloud. It is a monologue, not a dialogue between two imaginary parties or points of view.

I have done this all my life, I think from early childhood onwards, and probably can't break this habit now. 

Have also done this all my life.

I don't really feel embarrassed about it but I do seem to be in the minority of people (that I meet anyway) who do this.

I often find that my monologues are more interesting to me than what is being said/discussed by those around me - which may perhaps be part of the reason for doing it :idea: :wink: :arrow:

Last edited by Blindspot149 on 17 Nov 2011, 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

NZaspiegirl016
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Nov 2011, 12:28 am

I talk to myself and sing to myself quite frequently. Whenever my mum catches me talking to myself, she tells me "Talking to yourself is a sign of going mad!" and I have heard one girl who bullies me talking about me singing to myself as if it was the ultimate crime! :evil:

Quixotic
Raven
Raven

17 Nov 2011, 8:45 am

Post deleted by author.

Last edited by Quixotic on 21 Nov 2011, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 10:35 am

I never talk to myself out loud. If I talk to myself I do it silently in my head.

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Nov 2011, 11:00 am

I talk to myself out loud all the time, always have. This is my way of thinking out loud. The best thing about having at cat, is that I can talk to him. :wink:

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 1:51 pm

I talk to myself all the time and have always done so, I do it in public or when I'm alone, It's like a compulsion I just have to do it. If I think in my head it's just not the same, I have to hear my thoughts out loud for them to be processed properly. Sometimes though I hear myself doing it and I'm really loud so I don't know what people must think because they must hear me. :lol:

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

17 Nov 2011, 1:58 pm

I've always had monolouges with myself my entire life. I've learned to talk quieter in the last few years, but sometimes I get some really interesting monolouges going.

readingbetweenlines
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 3:56 pm

MJE, I've always talked to myself. I'm NT, but pretty unsociable plus I have social anxiety.

I do it extensively, practically all the time I'm on my own. Like you I'm super embarrassed when I've not realised my husband's come in, although he knows about this habit of mine. Makes no difference to me, I'm still embarrassed

I'm not able to say whether it's an Aspie trait or whether it's widespread in the general population. I've always put it down to being an only child of parents that were fairly old, as well as often hospitalised. I was on my own a lot, which didn't bother me as a child. I quite enjoyed being an only child. But maybe my need to talk required an outlet, so perhaps talking to myself gave me that.

All I know is that I don't mind my habit so long as I'm not overheard, that I seem to need to do it (look forward to being on my own after I've been in company so I can talk to myself, or think out loud) and that I know I always will.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 4:11 pm

I was talking to myself all morning in work today (I start at 6:30 and there's no one else there until 8am), anyway I was having a really good time, but I wonder what it was I was actually saying and whether it made any sense. Has anyone ever recorded themselves doing this?

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 4:14 pm

I do talk to myself although it only happens at home never in public however the reason why i talk to myself is so that i remind myself what to say to people.

47x
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2011, 7:48 pm

When alone I talk to myself so much I feel I'm insane. When I'm alone I talk lots, if I'm around other people I shut up, funny it is.
If there's other people about I don't talk to myself so much, maybe a bit. And also when I'm upset or really happy and don't get that I talk out loud. :oops: