Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2009, 12:45 pm

MONKEY wrote:
MrLoony wrote:
I want to thank you all for responding. It's something that's rather fascinating to me.

Callista wrote:
I think what you're talking about is the difference between being "verbal" and being capable of conversational reciprocity. That is, the give-and-take of conversation; the "think fast" problem you get when you have half a second to think up a response to someone else's statement, and the timing of it as well.

But the thing is, is that even if I know what I would say if I could, I can't. My response comes to mind, but I can't even open my mouth, let alone create the sounds that form words.

That's just like me, I think for me it's being anxious with people, it's like having constipation of the mouth (eek not a nice thought XD)

You should see the episode of House entitled "Whose Your Daddy?"

Age1600 wrote:
mcloony ever try using sign to maybe get ur point across, when ur more nonverbal. i use a lot of sign, i guess u could say i can be very verbal through sign sometimes and then other times i only able to use basic sign haha, idk what the heck happens to my vocal cords all i know is that they never do their job haha. either way hope u find a way to fix that, good luck1

That's Mr. Loony to you!

Actually, this is generally what I try to do. People still generally get confused, like when I'm trying to gesture for them to go away or to follow me or some such.

Edit: Does anyone here know sign language? Does it help when you go non-verbal?

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 9:29 am

Quote:

How would sign language improve anything if the majority of people you talk to do not understand it?

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 10:03 am

buryuntime wrote:
Quote:

How would sign language improve anything if the majority of people you talk to do not understand it?

Makaton sign language is different to traditional BSL/ASL language as its signs are based on actions,many of them are recognised by people who havent learnt makaton.
BSL/ASL is very different though,and is very hard for its users to get understood by people who havent learnt it,though will find easier and more common access to BSL/ASL interpreters through the DDA/ADA laws.

MrLoony,
am both non verbal and speech impaired/limited though for different reasons than mentioned,and use makaton when non verbal and speech limited-will always recommend learning this type of sign if have difficulty with verbal communication over BSL/ASL because of the reason buryuntime has posted,as well as a heap of other reasons.
Maybe could give it a try,learn the basics [needs],and see what think before going any further with it.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 12:39 pm

buryuntime wrote:
Quote:

I know some sign language. When I was going to Sunday School at the FUMC of Tracy, we had to learn to sign "Yes, Jesus Loves Me." Now, I forgot most of it pretty quickly, but there are people out there who know some sign language without actually being fluent in it. I, for one, can sometimes figure out what a person is trying to get at by applying my knowledge of sign language with what the sign is indicating.

KingdomOfRats wrote:
MrLoony,
am both non verbal and speech impaired/limited though for different reasons than mentioned,and use makaton when non verbal and speech limited-will always recommend learning this type of sign if have difficulty with verbal communication over BSL/ASL because of the reason buryuntime has posted,as well as a heap of other reasons.
Maybe could give it a try,learn the basics [needs],and see what think before going any further with it.

Thank you. I'll look into that.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 5:17 pm

I've been able to type while in a zoned-out shutdown sort of state; I've tried it a couple of times, to try to record what it felt like and analyse it later. Typing's easier. I do end up getting very disjointed writing, with not much organization and a lot of oddly used words or neologisms that I don't bother to explain; but I think I could definitely get around the problem with speech, since text is a more natural way to communicate for me.

Note that I am diagnosed Asperger's, which means speech on time--though unusual (scripts, neologisms, odd rhythm, echolalia/palilalia etc.). It's apparently unusual for an Aspie's "first language" to be text rather than speech, but for a hyperlexic one like me, it's not too surprising that I'd naturally communicate better in written form, and have access to that while overloaded even when speech is briefly inaccessible, or (as happens much more often than total lack) I don't say what I mean, revert to scripts, or end up giving one-sided lectures.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com