We're different from NTs and animals!

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 12:22 pm

I went to the park today, looked at the swans in the pond. Two of them decided to go groom themselves (clean their feathers by rubbing them with their beaks after moistening their beaks in a shallow, shady corner of the pond. They spent a long time doing that, each to themselves, occasionally quacking low to each other. I was practising my Photography, so I spent some time focusing on them. That was when it hit me: they looked and acted EXACTLY the same as when my office colleagues go to the toilet together.

I know many Aspies say they have more in common with animals than with NTs, but I personally feel as different from NTs as I feel from animals, mainly because of the herd thing. I guess I would've been the outcast swan who nobody likes because she goes off on her own when she feels like grooming herself, rather than arrange with a colleague.

TiredGeek
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2009, 12:56 pm

Haha, I can just see the swans doing that! I personally like animals even the herding types. They are at least authentic about their moods unlike NT humans.

My husband says that cats are the Aspies of the animal world:
insistent upon having routine schedules.
changes, new experiences, and loud noises make them panic.
not too keen on being with lots of other cats, usually.
respect their oddness and give them a chance, and they will be loyal to you.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 12:57 pm

Some animals enjoy their own space. What about cats?

millie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 1:06 pm

well, i am a loner. some animals are loners.
As for a pack of girls swanning about in the women's toilet?

yikes. my idea of arrival in hell.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 1:29 pm

millie wrote:

omg, I choked with laughter!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 1:36 pm

I feel more connected to animals than people (usually). But sometimes, depending on my mood, I could agree with you. I think it depends on the animal (species & individual).

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 2:01 pm

samtoo wrote:
Some animals enjoy their own space. What about cats?

I was just thinking the same thing before I read yours.

You know how many on here say that Aspergers should be called Cat Syndrome or something to that effect...? well it had me thinking when I was watching Catwoman a few days ago on cable. When Halle Berry discovers she's catwoman from the crazy cat lady, the crazy cat lady was saying things like, your senses are heightened, the world will not understand you, at times you will feel alone but you will experience a freedom most people don't... I was so thinking, all those things that make her cat like are the same things that make me Aspergers.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 2:05 pm

Greentea wrote:
millie wrote:

omg, I choked with laughter!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:lol: thought you might like that one!

dalekaspie
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jun 2009, 2:05 pm

ah yes but what about solitary animals, like snakes? (not counting garter snakes obviously) they are like aspies, depraved of social activity, routined daily life, and theyre extremly skilled in a certain subject: killing in this instance

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 3:49 pm

Nah. Cats are way better at killing than snakes are. Have you ever seen one snatch a fly straight out of the air? One of mine does that. I never have flying insects around anymore.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jun 2009, 3:57 pm

I relate to animals more than NTs I always relateto owls or snow leopards because they are loners

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 4:20 pm

Callista wrote:
Nah. Cats are way better at killing than snakes are. Have you ever seen one snatch a fly straight out of the air? One of mine does that. I never have flying insects around anymore.

I had a cat do that before. She was a fabulous hunter. Mice, she'd scare them to death. It would take her a couple weeks of playing with them, but they always died without a mark on them. She also caught adult birds midflight. Once a bird got stuck in my gazeebo and she climbed the screen, leaped from the top part of the screen about 3-5 feet where she caught the bird, carried it out of the gazeebo and then set it free. She also killed rabbits, and I suspect her of killing the neighbors cat.

Snakes are pretty cool though. Just not as cool as cats.

Oh, and, some birds are becoming extinct due to cats, but on the flipside, an issue with dogs being attacked by wild animals is pretty big as well. That's what killed the argument I had ongoing with a dog loving friend on whether or not cats were better hunters than dogs.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 5:28 pm

I guess this proves how utterly NT I am. I've never bben a lone wolf (so to speak). I look at monkeys hanging out with each other or flocks of birds and connect the most with them. Just as you all feel kinship with animals that go it alone, I ffel kinship with animals that live in groups. Interesting.,