Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

untrained-aspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jul 2009, 5:41 am

I was first diagnosed with Asperger syndrome when I went to a psychiatrist to rule out bipolar disorder after having been "accused" (for lack of a better term) of having that disorder by many, many people online. The psychiatrist ruled that out almost immediately. Almost as immediately she said I had severe depression. At the end of the appointment, she said she wasn't ready to make a final diagnosis until she'd seen me a few more times and run some tests, but she thought I had Asperger syndrome, a high-functioning form of autism. She did blood tests & and MRI to make sure my symptoms weren't due to thyroid or hypothalamus abnormalities, and everything was normal there. After another few appts., she decided she was right about Asperger syndrome.

She said it's often comorbid with epilepsy, which I also have. She also said that since I've been diagnosed with many other psychiatric disorders, the meds for which either caused bad reactions or didn't work at all, I had the common presentation of a person who had been diagnosed as one disorder at a time instead of the actual disorder that covers all the traits that present as other psychiatric disorders (obsessions, inability to concentrate, anxiety, seemingly short temper, impatience, etc.). Not to mention my life history and my family description....

THEN, she closed her family practice. I have had 2 psychiatrists since, and both are denying the diagnosis of Asperger syndrome...but now that I have learned about the disorder from my original psychiatrist, read books, researched online, and attended local support meetings, I know that the diagnosis is correct, and I know for SURE that it runs very strong in my mom's side of the family. Her next younger sister DEFINITELY has Asperger syndrome. We've always wondered what was wrong with her, why she couldn't hold a job, why she acted so childish (she still likes Sesame Street books and acts like everyone else's kids are her "babies"). When I was diagnosed & my doctor asked if anyone else in the family had been diagnosed with autism, Mom and I looked at each other and said, "Aunt K!" She hadn't been diagnosed, but we now knew what was wrong with her. We couldn't tell her, of course, because she'd get all defensive and pouty and say nothing was wrong with her.

But, my question is...what do you do when you're diagnosed as an adult and your diagnosing doctor quits but you can't find another doctor to be supportive of the diagnosis...and none of the autism diagnostic centers in your area take adult patients?

What recourse do we have? My parents and I are SO ANGRY and frustrated right now!

Because no one else will.

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2009, 12:09 pm

The good thing for you is, at least you have your parents backing you up so you don't have to deal with this frustration alone. I see many posts where parents and family don't even believe it.

militarybrat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2009, 6:03 pm

If your research is pointing you to think its Asperger's Syndrome you should seek out a professional (neurologist, clinical psychologist, psychiatrist, etc.) with experience diagnosing ASDs (Autism Spectrum Disorders) for a complete evaluation. In adition to talking with you and useing various tests they should have access to your developmental, educational and medical history and to members of your family if possible. Asperger's Syndrome can be difficult to diagnose, particularly with comorbidities and not all psychological professionals are familiar with it or qualified to handed it. Unfortunatly it makes it harder to recieve an acurrate diagnosis, so don't be discoraged.