Uh oh, Scintillating scotoma but no migraine :(

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 6:34 pm

Sorry for all the stupid topics, but this one is potentially serious. I never had a migraine headache in my life, but yesterday I got a Scintillating scotoma (an aura that preludes migraines), but with no migraine. Not good, as Scintillating scotoma is also associated with stroke and epilepsy, and being on the spectrum I'm very likely to suffer from the latter (I've had no seizures before). I think I might have had a Scintillating scotoma before, when I was a kid, because I remember having an intensely disorientated and clammy feeling when I went on holidays years ago, and it's possible it was the same thing.

I know literally nothing about epilepsy, so is it possible that some sort of latent form? Sorry for all the quassi-hypochondriac questions, but frankly if there's a good chance I have epilepsy I can seek medical advice, and get my AS (and maybe a schizophrenic type disorder) diagnosed secretly, and get the benefit money to help my parents with the bills, without telling them why exactly I get the money :) Maybe I could even get therapy :mrgreen:

sorry if the above makes no sense, it's one of my bad days :?

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 11:47 pm

Could just be sinus pressure. I'm living in an apartment with only women, who keep the place this side of 'meat locker'. I get scotoma (glad I have a name for it now) unless I can up the temperature...

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 4:57 am

It could be many things, ryan93; mostly not serious. How long did it last and were there any accompanying symptoms? It is possible to get migraine without headache. If it happens again, you could mention it to the doc and also get an eye test to rule out anything in that area.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 5:32 am

Many people will experience a simple-partial seiziure at some point in their lives, which is what could have happened to you, it really isn't anything to worry about.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 6:06 am

ryan93 wrote:
I never had a migraine headache in my life, but yesterday I got a Scintillating scotoma (an aura that preludes migraines), but with no migraine.

I'm diagnosed with migraine, but I never get headaches. I just get the aura, and I am practically blind for 30 minutes.

But if that was your first time, I recommend you go to see a physician very soon to rule out anything dangerous.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Jul 2009, 8:13 am

I used to get severe migraines in my teen and early adult years then they went away, sometime in my
early thirties I started getting them again not as severe or debilitating but nasty enough to disrupt any important
task I was in the middle of. These started fading away in my forties but I still get "Silent migraines" with an
aura or the "Aurora Dolorosa" as I call it.

Kajjie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jul 2009, 9:29 am

I always advise seeing a doctor about things like this.

I wouldn't be worried about epilpesy as it's very uncommon to develop it aged 16 without an obvious cause (like a serious head injury or meningitis)

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 8:38 pm

Thanks for the info everyone :) I was under the impression that they were always a prelude for something bad, but thankfully they are not. That's one big medical bill avoided. I've done a bit of soul-searching, and my mental health has improved a little for the time being, so it's a good day today. Thanks everyone :)

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2017, 12:10 pm

ryan93 wrote:
I never had a migraine headache in my life, but yesterday I got a Scintillating scotoma (an aura that preludes migraines), but with no migraine. Not good, as Scintillating scotoma is also associated with stroke and epilepsy, and being on the spectrum I'm very likely to suffer from the latter (I've had no seizures before). I think I might have had a Scintillating scotoma before, when I was a kid, because I remember having an intensely disorientated and clammy feeling when I went on holidays years ago, and it's possible it was the same thing.

I have experienced scintillating scotoma since the early 70s. I initially saw an ophthalmologist b/c I assumed I was going blind. I was told it was migraines.

My auras are triggered by light (especially when at an angle that is overhead and slightly in front) and stress. Natural light does not seem to trigger them but fluorescent light is the biggest trigger and seems to have a dosage effect. They are especially frequent when I am stressed.

Historically, I have had few whole body symptoms. The aura is about 30 minutes followed by a 'neurological hang-over feeling' for an hour or so. In the last couple of years, I have had some nausea and headache following them. I have never had to leave work for one, but I need this job so I also tough it out. I have heard that scintillating scotoma are associated with temporal seizures. As far as the correlations with CVA (strokes, etc.), I thought that was discounted, but things keep changing with research - but that's a whole 'nuther post....

I've treated my auras with lifestyle changes for half a century, and never had CVA . Food seems to help get the aura to calm down in the moment, but exercise makes it worse during the flare. However, it likely otherwise helps to reduce stress trigger. When my aura flare, they are accompanied by tactile hallucinations. They kinda feel like worms squiggling just behind the front of the eye ball. Careful home examination with my magnifying mirror revealed no actual movement. My spectrum diagnosis is old-school "aspergers" with OCD.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 7:29 pm

My mother gets SS without migraine frequently but I only get SS without migraine once in a blue moon.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 4:35 am

I get 'em and thankfully so far the pain part is in abeyance. however, sometimes I also get aural migraines, anybody else here get 'em? when they happen, a notch centered at about 1000 cycles per second is carved out of my hearing, replaced with a buzzing whenever an actual 1000 cycle sound excites it.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 9:22 pm

Me too with the silent migraine, - scotoma, transient hallucinations and persisting morgellons like sensations - though had very nasty headaches as a kid, these latter not in adulthood. I'm knocked out a little and weirded out for a couple of days, but nothing like as bad as migraines can be.