Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

editthis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jul 2009, 9:29 pm

I mean, where does one go to meet and befriend new people in real life?

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 10:00 pm

editthis wrote:
I mean, where does one go to meet and befriend new people in real life?

Good question. The last time I made a friend (ten years ago), it was when I was taking my toddler to the same park every day. There was another mom there with a kid the same age. Actually, now that I remember, at first it was my husband who was taking him to the park, and he's the one that first met the friend, and "broke the ice."

Before that, I spent a heap of money enrolling in an intense night-school program that lasted a year and a half. Sitting in a break room every day with the same class mates, I managed to get a married couple as friends. Until they fell off the edge of the earth somehow and I never saw them again.

Obviously if I really had a clue where to meet people, I'd have made a friend more recently than ten years ago. But what these situations both had was 1. Seeing the same people time and again, and 2. Having something important in common.

At one point, more recently that these things, I was finishing up a university degree, and going to the campus a couple time a day. During that time, I didn't have a chance to meet anyone at all, because people just come to class then go to their next class or drive home. I had no idea how to meet anyone there. Besides, they were all ten years younger than me. Now, I see other parents picking up their kids from school, but their kids don't have AS, and I don't relate to them at all. So, I haven't made any friends in that group.