Treating women as objects: What does this mean?

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 6:53 pm

Here, virtue requires virtue signaling. People want to know that you value them, and respond well to sincere admiration. Objectifying a person means using their output without either of the above. Sacrificing other options in favor of the well-being of the person and expressing appreciation both happen naturally when people treat others as real people, regular people.

To take an extreme case, consider the pimp. The person depicted in the movie Hustle and Flow exists to a limited extent in reality. However, overwhelmingly more pimps exploit women mercilessly, and treat them as worthless and categorically unworthy of respect. See the documentary Pimps Up Hos Down.

People get into all kinds of situations, so appearances may deceive. If I don't see reasonable sacrifices made and hear accurate praise, then there's a problem. Often, that problem is objectification. See the way some people relate to their parents.

Aaendi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Sep 2017, 10:19 pm

I don't worry about objectifying women because they can't read my mind.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 10:44 pm

Aaendi wrote:

That sounds like sexualizing women, and that seems like the best way to handle it. Express interest if appropriate, then keep it to oneself. If not appropriate, proceed directly to step two.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 12:02 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Aaendi wrote:

That sounds like sexualizing women, and that seems like the best way to handle it. Express interest if appropriate, then keep it to oneself. If not appropriate, proceed directly to step two.

I agree with that.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 7:53 pm

I like to protect my own cave with my large, Schultz-like body.