Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 5:56 pm

enamdar wrote:
I think they are really disheartening when compared to the baby boomers. I mean yeah the boomers grew up to become loafs, but when you compare question responses on whats important to the boomers and whats important to Y it just makes your heart sink. Nothing destroys individuality like individualism. And what is it with Y's hatred of hippies?

the baby boomers are far worse and generation y will be the ones who have to shoulder their burdens.

as far as individuality: the boomers killed that off with their horrible maintenance of all mainstream media sources and those bastards are about to cut off the last bastion of free (like freedom) media by clamping down on the internet.

the boomers have made moral concession after moral concession to get here. not to mention did a horrible job raising their kids in the process.

the "greatest generation" must have been absolutely horrible parents for the boomers to come out as selfish and as greedy as they collectively have acted throughout history so far.

hatred of hippies? how about hatred of baby boomers who pissed away every freedom they took advantage of while they posed as free individuals. hippies were just posers and modern hippies are just conspiracy theorists.

You know Barry O. is a baby boomer, too.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2009, 4:15 pm

human_calculator wrote:
I don't think that every member of a generation will have exactly the same characteristics, but that many will be similar in viewpoint due to having a similar education or being raised in roughly the same way.
I haven't heard much about the different generations, apart from vaugely knowing of Generation X, so I have a few questions:
Why did the generations start with X? and will the next one be Generation A?
Also, I was born in February 1993, does this mean I'm the youngest of Generation Y or the oldest of Generation Z?

There's a great book on the topic by William Strauss and Neil Howe called Generations (most libraries have it). Their insights on the various generation cohorts is fascinating.

Here's how they breakdown the generations of the 20th Century:

Birth Year
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1982–2000 Millennial Generation (Gen Y)
1961–1981 13th Generation (a.k.a Generation X, Baby Busters)
1943–1960 Baby Boomers
1925–1942 Silent Generation
1901–1924 G.I. Generation

Personally, I find it hard to acurately judge any generation until most of them enter their prime working years, as teenagers are by their very definition going through a period of emotional flux/ trying on new lifestyle choices while they search for their eventual place in the world.

For the record, I'm a member of Generation X whose mother was a Baby Boomer and father was a member of the G.I. Generation (big time May/December relationship!).

Here's the Wikipedia page for the book.

INTJ.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 5:28 pm

enamdar wrote:
I think they are really disheartening when compared to the baby boomers. I mean yeah the boomers grew up to become loafs, but when you compare question responses on whats important to the boomers and whats important to Y it just makes your heart sink. Nothing destroys individuality like individualism. And what is it with Y's hatred of hippies?

I despise the Y generation. How would I describe them? Lazy, dopey, mopey, entitled, selfish, perpetual 8 year olds. They think they can better their crummy lot by being tattle tales too.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 12:20 pm

Thread locked as it contains mostly bashing of entire groups of people.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)