Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

enamdar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jul 2009, 7:07 pm

I think they are really disheartening when compared to the baby boomers. I mean yeah the boomers grew up to become loafs, but when you compare question responses on whats important to the boomers and whats important to Y it just makes your heart sink. Nothing destroys individuality like individualism. And what is it with Y's hatred of hippies?

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 7:19 pm

Mmm...hopefully it's not all that bad. I have to compete with them for jobs, and they're getting hired a lot faster than I am. The 'how to get a job...nowadays' training I got paints this apocolyptic picture of the younger generations 'getting even' by shoving us out the door one step ahead of the age discrimination act.

They even said that 'we'd' have to get hired back because Gen Y can't spell, can't concentrate, and get distracted too easily...just y'all boomers keep telling yourself that...;)

I get bored with the 'baby boomer' concept. I'm not holding up my end very well, (listening to Franz Ferdinand...what's up wid dat?...;). But they're the ones who came up with the whole 'generation vs generation'. I hope this silliness goes out of fashion one of these days. I remember a lot better where I was when Kurt Kobain died, than Kennedy...;)

I'm a lot more familiar with Gen X. Overall, I think that in a global society, things change, and we'll have to adjust to that, instead of just fighting each other....

cognito
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 7:27 pm

well, my generation is waaaay more open minded then the baby boomers, ask any kid about obama and odds are the fact he is black won't crop up. Most kids today are for gay marraige, and we are very tech savvy. We are very well informed and can spread ideas rapidly. Take Obama is an example of this, he dislike gay religion but said he won't stand in its way. He keeps a black berry and uses to keep from getting the bubble bush had. He is an lovely example of Gen Y.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 7:36 pm

Being born in January 1992 (one month after the collapse of the Soviet Union), do I belong to Generation Y or Generation Z?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 7:57 pm

Henriksson wrote:
Being born in January 1992 (one month after the collapse of the Soviet Union), do I belong to Generation Y or Generation Z?

Let me see. You are 17. You are not old enough to have done anything remarkable or useful. You belong to the generation that does not yet matter.

ruveyn

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 7:59 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Henriksson wrote:

Let me see. You are 17. You are not old enough to have done anything remarkable or useful. You belong to the generation that does not yet matter.

ruveyn

In that case, you belong to the generation that does not matter anymore.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 9:35 pm

Well, I'm officially 40 today and I still don't know what generation I belong to. Babies of the Baby Boomers.

I'm too late for the hippies and too early for Generation Y.

Generation X? and I an X-Man? I don't seem to have any superpowers.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 10:10 pm

The spoiled rich vegan emo generation....

No wonder kids are getting fatter and pastier these days...

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 10:23 pm

gbollard wrote:
Generation X? and I an X-Man? I don't seem to have any superpowers.
Nope. We missed Gen X by a few years. '80's glam band generation, or maybe you were a punk? Mall hair and mullets as far as the eye can see...yeah... 8)

cognito
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 10:29 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Henriksson wrote:

ruveyn

and you belong to the generation that screwed mine over with debt, wars, enivormental problems and the ilk.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 10:45 pm

sad thing is, I was pretty much born between generations... just a bit old for the internet generation, but too young for the 80s...

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 6:43 am

Henriksson wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Henriksson wrote:

ruveyn

In the U.S. the old folks have the best voting record. Half the eligible population of the U.S. votes. Almost one hundred percent of the geezer population votes. In addition the people with executive and managerial authority (in the U.S.) are over 55. Also the gramdma and grandpa population have a great deal of influence on the thinking and training of young people. We get to do the babysitting, since we are built in baby sitters that don't have to be paid. The old folks with grandchildren are the bulk of child care in the U.S..

My generation when it was young (and I was in on this) brought the "computer revolution" and we transistorized the U.S. and (indirectly) the world. We are also the last "hard copy" generation. We can actually read and underline paper and ink books instead of getting bleary-eyed from squinting at computer screens. We are also (for the most part) the last generation who learned critical thinking skills in school instead of computer and video games. How many of the baby boomers, X's and Y's know any philosophy or history?

ruveyn

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 6:57 am

Haha, you're all bigging-up your own generation and attacking others. Don't you all realise how childish that is? Not to mention that there is no universal group for a generation, where you lived would have affected you more than what time you lived in.

Quote:

I assure you they matter. The are living far too long and draining huge amounts of resources away from people who need them.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 7:07 am

Michjo wrote:
Haha, you're all bigging-up your own generation and attacking others. Don't you all realise how childish that is? Not to mention that there is no universal group for a generation, where you lived would have affected you more than what time you lived in.

Quote:

I assure you they matter. The are living far too long and draining huge amounts of resources away from people who need them.

QFT!! !

Shared experiences and shared culture can give people some commonality. But that commonality only goes a little ways. And it doesn't sharply begin and end with an arbitrary year cutoff. Regional differences have an impact. Upbringing has an impact. I am less comfortable with taking pictures and posting them than people much younger than me because I grew up in a time when people kept details of themselves private and cameras weren't everywhere. But I'm not going to presume that every person my age feels the same way or that every person much younger than me will happily put pictures of themselves all over Facebook. Generalizing about generations is dicey at best.

Saspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jul 2009, 7:20 am

I hope when I am old I do not make the same mistake that every generation has made about the one that comes after it - thinking that they are better than those that are younger for whatever reason. I notice people around my age already starting to mock teenagers for their habits. Stupid really.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 12:22 pm

I was born in 1979.

Does this make me Gen-X or Gen-Y?