Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

millie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2009, 4:30 pm

In my case, I see no point in separating out my ASD from my personality.
I actually do not know where one starts and the other finishes, and so i perceive myself as a kind of symbiosis - a merging of autistic traits AND personality.
I do have a particularly strong presentation of some autistic traits, and a milder presentation of others. And then, I can be exceedingly extroverted at times - so i do not fit with the traditional assumption that all people with ASD's are shy and introverted. (Where did that erroneous notion come from??)

So perhaps what I am saying is that I have an autistic personality that is all mine. :)

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2009, 5:21 pm

Ok, now I've an avatar full of personality. Hopefully, it will inspire me :wink:

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2009, 6:00 pm

Greentea wrote:
Can someone explain, please? I mean, we're Aspies, we surely can explain this intellectually rather than by intuition? :D

Lol, ok sorry Greentea.

I see you as being strong willed, intelligent, innovative, fiercely loyal, wise, and compassionate.

In my opinion, these are traits that mark you as you, not you as an aspie. Of course some of us will share some of these traits, but it's the same for people world-wide, regardless of whether they're aspie or not.

Helpful? ;)

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2009, 6:22 pm

sunshower wrote:
I see you as being strong willed, intelligent, innovative, fiercely loyal, wise, and compassionate.

Thank you, sunshower. It'd been ages since I'd heard anything about me that wasn't berating...

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2009, 10:04 pm

Greentea wrote:
Can someone explain, please? I mean, we're Aspies, we surely can explain this intellectually rather than by intuition? :D

I'm not sure that it's so much an objective thing, though. People are more then the sum of their parts. You're all the positive things about you, plus all the negative things, all the interactions between all those things, all superimposed on your soul. That sounds hokey, I guess.. But you can't just list traits and say that that's you.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 5:04 pm

found the wrong thread but im gonna answer anyway. personality is like a special kind of breed which rises up from within over a period of time. of course many years ago when people used to ask me what is your personality do you have one and such and such, i just used to think what a stupid qst now go away.. seeing a point if there is one it isn't necessarily a crying notion when you just want to escape a rut you've been hiding in for years. people who develop their own sense of style bring up new ways of showing they are some dignified critique of their own self-analysis when really the truth hides a rather crimean war like reality to what people and their die hard habits are really all about.
i guess im just as much a by-standard product of myself or critique as much as the next worried face in the storm.
A little bit of sophisticated physique or resolve matches a persons ability to see through another privey counsel in the sense well im not a brag at heart but i can sure as hell get through to them in my own way. i cant stand users, party politics domestic stuff,wellfare systems and insurance firms. if i needed an epitaph of events in the past i would not have created a graph of automated recovery and create a revolution built on hearsay and small-matters with banks hoping to reach a spending limit of a breached by- product in their actual accounts.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 9:27 pm

Quote:
I realize what I thought were my personality traits looks in fact like a list of NLD+AS symptoms from the DSM

Then where's a personality for me?

In my opinion, AS is at least partly a personality type.

Just because it's an AS symptom doesn't mean it's not part of your personality.

(Incidentally, this is why talk of curing autism freaks me out. 'We are Borg. Prepare to be assimilated.')

Quote:
These 2 posts really got me thinking...can someone on this thread mention some personality traits of theirs that are not:

1. caused by their AS
2. a product of living with AS and the experiences caused by that?

I'm extremely creative. I played pretend a lot as a child, and now have 6 finished novels I'm seeking publishers for.

I'm also very passionate about social justice. While part of this could be AS-related, I think it's more related to a) being raised by a feminist, and b) being very high on emotional empathy (AS doesn't affect emotional empathy either way).

palindrome
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2013, 10:15 pm

It took me a bit of the thread to figure out what distinction is trying to be made here. "What's me" vs "what's my ocd/asperger's/tourette's/whatever else I have problems with."

Most days, I feel like I have a personality. Sometimes on bad days, I feel like a twitchy mess of neuroses instead of a "person." But that's just me being down on myself because I'm having problems, or I'm just really stressed out. It seems odd to me to try to separate out "what is the autism" and "what is the person" in general. The interplay between the two seems very complex and would resist neat categorization, as useful as that might be if it was possible.

For instance: My tendency to get REALLY, REALLY, REALLY obsessed with things and learn every single detail I can cram into my head (and then share all said details with anyone who shows the slightest interest) might be common to other people like us, but what I obsess over and the thoughts/opinions/feelings I have about the stuff I'm obsessed with are all mine. Even if they're somewhat common feelings, I arrived at them on my own.

That people in my life who know me at least a little (almost no one knows me very well because I don't let them, or they just plain can't understand even were I inclined to try to explain) can say with some semblance of accuracy, "Oh, he'd hate that" or "he'd love that" or know what I'd find funny says to me there's stuff about me that if you put it all together... People who know me don't just see a collection of frequently obvious social deficiencies/eccentricities. They see a person (albeit an odd one) with thoughts/feelings/jokes/something to say/whatever. And sure they don't know EVERYTHING about me, or about what goes on in my head, and I would never let them as I'm very reserved, especially about emotional matters... But it's enough that I don't worry about "what's me" and "what's the stuff I struggle with."

There's just me. It took me a while to get there, and like I said, some days I still just feel like ...... the list of problems and not a person... But most of the time I try to think of it like a paraphrase of that rifle thing. "There are many like it, but this one is mine."

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 2:22 am

I get what the op is saying, as I've thought about the same list of things in myself.. ditto with an AS friend of mine who's now struggling with learning about AS as the cause of his quirks that he's always stated were just his personality. Another AS friend who doesn't fully accept/realize he's AS that I've observed many traits in is probably a better example to use. Before I learned all about my own AS traits and what other ones were, I've always just chalked his quirks and differences up to being his personality. Now I notice how many of them are AS traits, yet at the same time I still believe they collectively make up his personality as I know him. I'd like to believe they're more like highly probably personality traits in many of us vs. differentiating them solely as AS traits that have nothing to do with the makeup of our personalities. They're not the whole of who we are or our entire personalities, but they certainly contribute to and influence us. The rest I'm sure is made up by nurture, specialized knowledge, interests, life experiences & family influences, morals, ethics, values and a myriad of other things. We're not as simple as a list of AS traits.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 2:32 am

DonkeyBuster wrote:
Even identical twins, for all their similarities, have different personalities, maybe subtly different, but different none-the-less.

I have an identical twin brother. We have very different personalities, but both have many AS traits - some the same, some different, and they vary in magnitude.

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 2:35 am

I always feel like I don't have a personality, and I kind of 'make' one with whatever I'm obsessed with and that's what people associate me with. That's been ok for the last few years, but now my obsession seems to be changing (I usually have one 'main' obsession which stays the same as well as other, more intense ones that change every few years, but now the main one seems to be changing too) which is confusing me A LOT, and other people too.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 12:48 pm

sounds like a case of the blues to me.. which dont mean a thing to some people -but to me its like an oncurring sufferance.
its having a hard time being one thing and being somebody completely different the next. manipulation stems not too far from the tree or so to speak. having an auitsitic trait doesn't mean you're indifferent to anyone else either just because you dont display the full list of symptons which qualifies you to match with a diagnosis. i mean ive grown up in a haze, due to high visual disturbance brought on by stress and dissasociation which played its part from being bullied in my life too. academically, i knew i could be better but i just got too stressed out with school, and couldn't spare the time doing extra-curricular activities outside of the school.
i always spent night and day doing coursework to which end i ended up i dont know, and its through lack of leardership and grades that nearly brought me to an early grave. so what i mean in response to this thread, is that you dont need an outter personality in order to shine your way through any ordeal. you cant change what you are only who you pretend to be on the surface.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 3:00 pm

I'll give you some of my personality. :wink:

Panddora
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Mar 2013, 3:05 pm

ryan93 wrote:
In typical aspie fashion, I didn't understand the word "personality" for years. Now I understand it, I think. Personality is the way in which you interact with people (seems obvious eh?), and I imagine most aspies don't interact all that much and hence could be described as having "no personality" by people. I don't agree personally though, personality isn't entirely centred around communication, as physically helping someone, or being generous is another way of building relationships. I always tried to be liked by using my skills to help people, rather than make petty smalltalk with people, but for some reason NT's won't accept that some people are different :?

I really relate to this. My mother used to talk about other children having 'lots of personality' and by implication I had none. I did not understand the concept and have always believed I have a perfectly good personality but just not what is perceived as an outgoing one that makes someone popular.