Desperate Plea: How To Break Up With An Aspie Boyfriend

Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 6:54 am

I would suggest telling him in person and i don't think you should leave ANY possibility open for any future relationship or even friendship. From the sounds of his personality i don't think it is going to accept that the relationship is over and you're going to have to keep pushing him away and emotionally distancing yourself over the next month or two. Don't answer his phonecalls, don't agree to meet up with him after you've told him. Just completely cut contact.

paddy26
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jul 2009, 9:37 am

TheFlummox wrote:
Then came the tantrums - the first one was at a party, he was distant and occupied with his phone the entire time and then screamed that we had to leave immediately only an hour after we got there. The second was in front of my coworker after a concert, a bunch of us were talking and not really paying attention to where we were going so decided to change the plans up a bit - he threw a FIT so bad that my coworker and his friends were concerned that he was abusive toward me and even wrote me a heartfelt letter telling me that i could reach out to them for support. It was embarrassing to say the least.

I can understand why he reacted this way. I sometimes get upset and distant when I go to a party where I don't know anyone and it is in an unfamiliar setting. I find a sudden change in plans stressful as well but only in the short term. I'm sure if you persevere with him and let him get into a steady routine you'll end up seeing a completely different side to him. Have you tried going out to a pub or bar he is used to going to?

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 11:05 am

I agree with some of the advice above - do it quickly, cleanly, the written word -does- help, and try to make sure his support system is available to him when you decide to do it.

Feyhera and I disagree here (not knocking, everyone has their own methods and reasons), as I don't agree with abandoning someone in need - but the action of allowing the meltdown to pass and reducing stimuli is an important part of helping me control my own outbursts. Personally, getting me somewhere quiet and letting me process is the best solution and allows me to 'come back' more quickly, and with less trauma on all parties. So the result is beneficial, even if the perspective is different... the 'fits' described are not a voluntary reaction, so I do not understand penalizing the person who is undergoing them; there is a difference between a tantrum and a meltdown. Generally speaking... I deal with 'guilt/shame' (difficult concept for me) after an episode like that because I am aware that I have affected others adversely.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 1:05 pm

Why you're so worried, is he that dangerous?

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 1:18 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:

maybe she dont wanna hurt him innecesarily, since they are, in fact, going to break up (that is, being together, love and all that.)

i'd say go w the nice route. be detailed. aspies love that. try keeping it factual and informative but firm. its primarily for your own good, and thats why he should respect your decision.

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 1:31 pm

I have to disagree with the people here who say she should break up in person -- While maybe in bad taste, doing this over the phone is far safer than doing it in person with someone who has done things that make the OP afraid for her safety. His explosive temper and unpredictability (and apparent inability to suppress this reaction in front of others or polite company) is just too much of an X factor.

Sadly, it sounds like you are not compatible with eachother. Please don't lead him on any more by going through with the planned trip -- it will only work against you. Cancel the trip, and cancel the relationship. He's clearly not ready for one, and he's not a good fit for you (nor you for him).

24 Jul 2009, 4:05 pm

First of all I'd tell him about all his problems that are giving you trouble and tell him you can't handle this relationship with him and you're sorry. Then that could give him a chance to work on his behavior if this relationship is so important to him. I wouldn't assume that will give him the hint you want to break up so I would be upfront by telling him you do want to break up because you can't handle the relationship and his meltdowns are too much for you and when he has them, it goes on down to you and tell him what his meltdowns do to you. I heard breaking up over the phone makes you a jerk so it's best to do it in public. I am not sure about online though.

It doesn't make anyone a jerk for breaking up with someone due to their problems because everyone has every right to be safe and be happy and feel good about themselves.

TheFlummox
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jul 2009, 6:58 pm

Thanks so much for the advice everyone, it's been very helpful. I do have a few more questions/issues about this if that's okay.

makuranososhi wrote:
I agree with some of the advice above - do it quickly, cleanly, the written word -does- help, and try to make sure his support system is available to him when you decide to do it.

I think I will take your advice about writing it via e-mail or letter. But as for his support system, quite frankly i don't think he has much of one. He has only one real friend where we live, and I'm not sure how close they really are. His roommate is a really great, sensitive guy who might be of some help but he'll be out of the country for a week or so and his parents live in another state. Should I write him a letter and have him read it while i'm in the next room or something? Should I contact his friend and ask her to be with him before i send it?

LePetitPrince wrote:

I'm not afraid for my own safety - i highly doubt he'd ever get violent with me, it's really his safety that I'm worried about. Like I mentioned in the original post he told me that after his last break up he became depressed and suicidal and lost his job, and I'm worried that something like this could happen again. I might be worrying too much, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks Again Everybody.

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 7:29 pm

Out of curiosity, do you know what caused him to become angry?

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

TheFlummox
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jul 2009, 7:33 pm

MikeH106 wrote:
Out of curiosity, do you know what caused him to become angry?

What caused him to become angry? When? I'm sorry I'm not sure what you're referring to. Could you clarify a bit?

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 9:13 pm

If you care for him and his safety, I'd ask the friend to be around when he reads the letter. You may choose to do so; that is up to you. He may have questions... you may want to think ahead, and make allowance to meet with him at a later date to talk. Understanding is a big issue for me, and for others on the spectrum. Also would suggest discussing behaviors or specific issues, and not referring to his condition as a whole, but that is a personal opinion. One is constructive and identifies problems; the other can be a real blow to any sense of self-worth.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 9:26 pm

Whatever you do, do *not* give him the silent treatment.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 5:33 am

TheFlummox wrote:
What caused him to become angry? When? I'm sorry I'm not sure what you're referring to. Could you clarify a bit?

I don't consider myself to have AS, but I must have lost my temper a thousand times. In many cases, it was due in large part to frustration with bullying or the idea that some people are more attractive than others. I have often wished for a girlfriend to relieve my sorrows.

If we know what it was he was yelling about, maybe we can better help you.

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

Daemonic-Jackal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 6:57 am

inthehills wrote:
I'd tell him over the phone. Good luck.

Basically take the shallow and easy way out. :shameonyou: Im sure he'd be well impressed with that.

http://www.facebook.com/YentonianCarlos

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 8:05 am

Tell him in person otherwise don't bother seeing him again.

If someone is really dangerous it is pointless reasoning with them anyway.

makuranososhi wrote:
Feyhera and I disagree here (not knocking, everyone has their own methods and reasons), as I don't agree with abandoning someone in need - but the action of allowing the meltdown to pass and reducing stimuli is an important part of helping me control my own outbursts.

That is effectively what I mean, you can keep an eye on someone with being in their face.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 8:16 am

TheFlummox wrote:
First off, I'd like to say that I'm sorry if this comes off as offensive, i can see how it might i just have nowhere else to turn at this point.

I'm an NT girl, I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend for 4 months and lately it's just become too stressful to deal with.

A little Background Info:
When we met i thought he was slightly awkward and my friends found him off-putting but I liked him and didn't notice anything too bothersome about it as I'm slightly socially awkward as well. A month or so into dating he casually mentioned during a conversation that he was diagnosed with Asperger's in H.S. but that he never thought it hindered his functioning in any way. I thought nothing of it and quite frankly kind of forgot about it.

Then came the tantrums - the first one was at a party, he was distant and occupied with his phone the entire time and then screamed that we had to leave immediately only an hour after we got there. The second was in front of my coworker after a concert, a bunch of us were talking and not really paying attention to where we were going so decided to change the plans up a bit - he threw a FIT so bad that my coworker and his friends were concerned that he was abusive toward me and even wrote me a heartfelt letter telling me that i could reach out to them for support. It was embarrassing to say the least.

After the situation in the cab i begged him to seek counseling or learn coping techniques for controlling his outbursts. He promised he would - he hasn't. In the meantime I've been reading up on Asperger's and trying to stay positive about the continuous fits, his inability to be emotionally supportive, his indecision about basic things and scores of other things that i have not idea how to deal with.

I thought i could make it work, by simply not going out as much or taking him to places where there will be loud noises or alot of people. I try not to make any sudden changes in my plans as that seems to stress him out the most. When he has an outburst I try not to freak out, and I simply wait for it to be over. But in the midst of this, I've lost all romantic feeling toward him. We haven't had sex in a month, I don't think he's noticed and I'm rarely affectionate with him. From what I can tell he thinks everything is perfect. But i know I can't be with him anymore. I have to break up with him.

Now to the question: How do I go about it? He gets sooooo anxious and stressed when there's a slight hitch in plans. I can't imagine what to expect from him with this. Also, we made plans months ago to take a trip and it's coming up in about a month. Should I wait until after the trip, so as not to worry him more? Should I warn him in a more direct way that things aren't going well so it's not a shock to him? How do I do this? Should I do it in a public place? At his apartment? Over the internet or phone? What would make him most comfortable? He told me once that after he broke up with his ex he became depressed and suicidal and lost his job - I really do care about him and don't want to completely screw up his life, but staying with him is just not an option for me.

I should also say that he's generally a sweet, intelligent guy and despite all the problems I know he has plenty to offer someone in a relationship. But I don't think I'm strong enough to handle this right now, that's all.

I know not all people with Asperger's are the same and that I probably sound like a complete jerk, but the only advice I get from my friends is to do just do it and not worry about his reaction, that he'll get over it. I'm hoping that maybe the people on this forum will have a little more insight on what I should do. I don't mean to categorize or generalize, I'm just desperate. I know the longer I wait the harder it will be on him. I just want to do this right.

- Thanks.

You don't sound like a jerk, It's a personal decision and you obviously have your reasons. You need to be careful, some aspergers people do not take rejection well and have angry outbursts. I am no good at breaking up with people myself, so I wouldn't have any good advice. Just watch your back after you do it in case he becomes a stalker.

buryuntime wrote:
I don't understand why you can't deal with the outbursts?

Because different people cope with things differently from oneself - and ability to cope varies from person to person.