Should milk be outlawed?
Yes 36%  36%  [ 13 ]
No 64%  64%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 36

DirkWillems
Raven
Raven

30 Aug 2009, 5:37 pm

If milk is dangerous and should be illegal does that make you certifiably profoundly ret*d for posting this?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 6:08 pm

DirkWillems wrote:
If milk is dangerous and should be illegal does that make you certifiably profoundly ret*d for posting this?

Ahh, that's just the greatness of what passes as 'intellectualism' these days.

Don't let it surprise you either if a bunch of PhD students are musing over the question of 'If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it will it make a sound'? You could tell them 'Well, sound is nothing more than disturbances in air and thus to not make a sound the tree couldn't fall' but - that's just mean, you'd be raining on their solipsism and killing their otherwise enjoyable wine and cheese tasting party ;).

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 11:30 pm

makuranososhi wrote:

Shiggily, you seem to believe that your needs and wants are those of all others - they are not.

M.

I don't. I just realize that my needs and wants are often in contradiction with the needs and wants of others. Sometimes I will have to sacrifice my needs and wants, sometimes I won't. I am all for fulfilling the needs of people who might medically benefit from prescription marijuana, even if that means sacrificing some of my wants/needs. But for an entire society to sacrifice wants/needs so that a handful can have anything that they want? Doesn't quite make sense.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 11:35 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
phil777 wrote:
Actually M, there's the basic needs from the pyramid of Maslow which i think most of us can relate (food, affection, shelter, etc.).

And just for the sake of discussion:

"A need is something that is necessary for humans to live a healthy life. Needs are distinguished from wants because a deficiency would cause a clear negative outcome, such as dysfunction or death." From wikipedia about needs.

And wants : "Wants are often distinguished from needs. A need is something that is necessary for survival (such as food and shelter), whereas a want is simply something that a person would like to have. Some economists have rejected this distinction and maintain that all of these are simply wants, with varying levels of importance. By this viewpoint, wants and needs can be understood as examples of the overall concept of demand."

Seeing as Ruveyn is quite the Locke and Smith adept, i wager the second part of the "wants" suits him better.

Ok - so where does medication fall under Maslow's pyramid? There are those who need them to function, to survive - yet they are not universal. So the one-size-fits-all approach is a methodology of convenience, not reality.

M.

usually they are prescribed medications if in their individual case the benefits outweigh the negative impact of not taking it. I don't agree with the one-size-fits-all approach. That is why I advocate allowing individual cases to be decided on between a patient and a Dr. You can't argue that because you can make good decisions, that it means all people can make good decisions. You can only lay down basic rules that fit for a majority and beyond that weigh each case individually.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 11:37 pm

Shiggily wrote:
makuranososhi wrote:

Shiggily, you seem to believe that your needs and wants are those of all others - they are not.

M.

I don't. I just realize that my needs and wants are often in contradiction with the needs and wants of others. Sometimes I will have to sacrifice my needs and wants, sometimes I won't. I am all for fulfilling the needs of people who might medically benefit from prescription marijuana, even if that means sacrificing some of my wants/needs. But for an entire society to sacrifice wants/needs so that a handful can have anything that they want? Doesn't quite make sense.

But it's not the use of marijuana that's screwing up society, its the fanatic pursuit of anybody who wants to use it for their own private pleasure. The whole legal structure to prevent its use is jacking up the price and sending basically innocuous people to expensive prison servitude to no real purpose whatsoever except to make drug lords rich and satisfy the idiotic sense of retribution of sadistic idiots.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 11:37 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
DirkWillems wrote:

Don't let it surprise you either if a bunch of PhD students are musing over the question of 'If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it will it make a sound'? You could tell them 'Well, sound is nothing more than disturbances in air and thus to not make a sound the tree couldn't fall' but - that's just mean, you'd be raining on their solipsism and killing their otherwise enjoyable wine and cheese tasting party ;).

it would depend on how you are defining sound. There are the waves that will be made when a tree falls no matter what. And there is the concept of sound that is in reality nothing more that the translation of the waves within a organism's brain. That would depend on their being someone there to translate the waves to the perceptions.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 11:39 pm

Sand wrote:
Shiggily wrote:
makuranososhi wrote:

M.

But it's not the use of marijuana that's screwing up society, its the fanatic pursuit of anybody who wants to use it for their own private pleasure. The whole legal structure to prevent its use is jacking up the price and sending basically innocuous people to expensive prison servitude to no real purpose whatsoever except to make drug lords rich and satisfy the idiotic sense of retribution of sadistic idiots.

that is like saying money isn't screwing up society or guns are not screwing up society. It is both true and fallacious at the same time.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 11:39 pm

Shiggily wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
DirkWillems wrote:

it would depend on how you are defining sound. There are the waves that will be made when a tree falls no matter what. And there is the concept of sound that is in reality nothing more that the translation of the waves within a organism's brain. That would depend on their being someone there to translate the waves to the perceptions.

Bugs, birds, snakes and turtles have ears also.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 11:50 pm

Sand wrote:
Shiggily wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
DirkWillems wrote:

Bugs, birds, snakes and turtles have ears also.

that is why I put organism and not person

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 11:51 pm

Shiggily wrote:

That's pretty easily answered - if someone is there to hear it, its the same waves that are present if someone is not there to hear it. Physical reality 'is' with or without our presence. Sadly I knew the answer to that back in grade school when I had my mind blown open by the possibility that people saw it as an intelligent question.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 12:02 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Shiggily wrote:

That's pretty easily answered - if someone is there to hear it, its the same waves that are present if someone is not there to hear it. Physical reality 'is' with or without our presence. Sadly I knew the answer to that back in grade school when I had my mind blown open by the possibility that people saw it as an intelligent question.

it is just defining the difference between sound "existing" and sound being "heard". You are defining sound as simply existing (as a wave), so then the answer would be yes, the tree will make a sound regardless of whether or not something is there to hear it.

If you had defined sound as waves being "heard". Then the answer would be no, there would be no sound... because there would be nothing to "hear".

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 12:10 am

Shiggily wrote:
it is just defining the difference between sound "existing" and sound being "heard". You are defining sound as simply existing (as a wave), so then the answer would be yes, the tree will make a sound regardless of whether or not something is there to hear it.

If you had defined sound as waves being "heard". Then the answer would be no, there would be no sound... because there would be nothing to "hear".

Knowing both sides of the argument - its merit as brilliant intellectual insight is never the less astonishing.

Othila
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Aug 2009, 2:42 am

Marijuana was illegalized based on a lie. Hey I still love Agent Mueller. Agents, love that word. FBI so cool 8) . For that reason alone it should be legalized. How many stupid laws are on the books these days. I remember they use to publish books specifically on this subject. So ridiculous. We are not a young nation anymore. 2/3 of us are not teenagers. We don't base laws on wants and needs. Generally laws get passed by people in power who benefit from the laws in question. Personally i think it was just a good theft scheme. Government catches a drug dealer they not only confiscate the stash they confiscate everything else too. Brilliant. Feeds the prison industrial complex. Gives cops jobs and such. A win win. I guess everybody on the illegal train is getting exactly what they want. Funny how wants and needs are really all a matter of perspective. If your dead you don't need anything. If your rich you already got everything so you don't need anything. :twisted:

I hope I don't have nightmares of bloody teddybears.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 9:39 am

Othila wrote:
Marijuana was illegalized based on a lie. Hey I still love Agent Mueller. Agents, love that word. FBI so cool 8) . For that reason alone it should be legalized. How many stupid laws are on the books these days. I remember they use to publish books specifically on this subject. So ridiculous. We are not a young nation anymore. 2/3 of us are not teenagers. We don't base laws on wants and needs. Generally laws get passed by people in power who benefit from the laws in question. Personally i think it was just a good theft scheme. Government catches a drug dealer they not only confiscate the stash they confiscate everything else too. Brilliant. Feeds the prison industrial complex. Gives cops jobs and such. A win win. I guess everybody on the illegal train is getting exactly what they want. Funny how wants and needs are really all a matter of perspective. If your dead you don't need anything. If your rich you already got everything so you don't need anything. :twisted:

I got a headache just reading that.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 10:00 am

Shiggily wrote:
Othila wrote:

A few puffs on a joint would do wonders for that.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 10:24 am

Sand wrote:
Shiggily wrote:
Othila wrote:

A few puffs on a joint would do wonders for that.

so would a lobotomy