What is the most disturbing/shocking movie you've ever seen?

Page 5 of 9 [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 2:37 pm

irishwhistle wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:
I have watched horror, splatter and the like since I was fairly young, but I have never once been truly disturbed. I enjoy these movies immensely but they never really scare me. The scenes some people seem to find shocking usually make me grin or laugh.
I wish I could see a movie that terrified me. If Hostel, Them, Texas chain saw massacre, Dawn of the dead amd their like won't do it, what will? Sigh...

When I was 8 I watched a children’s series I think was called “The magic(al) box”. In one of the episodes a box was opened and several images poured out, including a photo of a sheltie. In retrospect I have no idea why, but in that specific setting I found the image eerie. The start only lasted a couple of seconds.

At age 12-13 I saw 3 movies that I found a little eerie while I watched them:
The Fog: The scene where there’s a knock on the door and the guy (don’t remember his name) gets up to open the door. Outside there is only fog and some it seeps into the house. He closes the door and as he does, we see the ghost of “captain Hook” standing behind said door ready to strike.

“Flatliners”: The eerie landscape and the strange boy they met when flatlining were a bit eerie.

“Invasion of the body snatchers” (1978): the very thought of someone being themselves yet not quite themselves, was eerie. As were the scenes where the Chinese man stated “Wife is better now, much better now” and the ending where Matthew points at her and screeches.

Later I’ve seen “Close encounters” and the scene where the mother shuts the chimney and the aliens unscrew the vent is a little eerie, as was the old guy who says that the sun came down last night and it sang to him.

The twist ending in “The others” and “The sixth sense” was chillingly good, and also the ghosts appearing when the boy fled and hid in his tent.

But these were just right there and then chills. Only at one point has a movie /series given me nightmares. At age 12 I watched either “The winds of war” or “War and remembrance”. In one scene a concentration camp is liberated. Pictures were shown of body piles and skeleton alike people (real) and a woman sitting under a train with glassy eyes. That image scared me. The following night I had a nightmare about those creepy eyes. It woke me up.

I find that interesting, actually. In all the creepy stuff you've seen, all the deeply wrong concepts that would haunt me for the rest of my danged life (my brain's fault... for some reason my mind will not settle down on an idea until it's explored it thoroughly, hence anything gruesome I introduce becomes prolonged torture) none of the fictional stuff has troubled you... only the real horror. If that is how your mind works, I envy you. As it is, I don't watch horror movies OR the news... the fictional horror for the reasons stated and the news because that's where the real horror is.

Hmm... I’ve never really thought about it, but I guess so. My nightmares seem to be mostly rooted in reality. Diseases, landmines, war, nuclear bombs, burglary, harrassment, Holocaust, fire, terrorism, accidents and things like that.
I can understand that you might think me lucky to not fear fictional horror, but since I love this genre I really wish it could scare me. It’d be a nice change.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 7:49 pm

I thought -Phantasm- was disgusting.

ruveyn

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 7:29 pm

A lot of people think A Clockwork Orange is pretty disturbing, but it's one of my favorite movies if not my favorite. I like most Stanley Kubrick movies though. I thought Eraserhead was kind of disturbing...maybe more weird than disturbing, but I don't really want to watch it again.

Another movie I like is Shortbus, which isn't disturbing but I might call it shocking. It's probably rated something like NC-17...this link is censored but still not work appropriate or anything.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8A1dwEhSMY[/youtube]

EggDownUnder
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Location: Melbourne, Australia, Earth, Sol Solarsystem, Milky Way, Universe

10 Sep 2009, 6:26 am

I think someone mentioned it before, but the scene in One Hour Photo where Robin William's eyes pour blood - that got me 8O

And a more of a left-field choice for this topic. The Boy In Striped Pyjamas. It deals with WWII and the holocaust, but does it pretty lightly for most of the film. the ending, however, just crushed me :( . Was still feeling it an hour after I left the cinema.

my mood monkey swings like it's the 60s

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2009, 11:56 pm

Brandon_M wrote:
zen_mistress wrote:
The most disturbing film I saw, I am not going to even write it because someone might decide to get it out and I would never contribute to the dvd revenue for it, I hope it ends up disintegrating from noone watching it.

Wow, that bad huh?

Yep. Took me days to get over it and I still feel sick when I think of it. I dont do horror movies these days as I tend to get to effected by them if they are realistic.

Taking a break.

Brandon_M
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2009, 5:04 pm

Anyone ever seen the Midnight Express? Just watched it two days ago. Easily one of the most nervewrecking movies i've ever seen!

spooky13
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2009, 7:32 pm

Brandon_M wrote:
Anyone ever seen the Midnight Express? Just watched it two days ago. Easily one of the most nervewrecking movies i've ever seen!

I remember seeing it years ago, and it was twisted.
Hmmm, now I'll have to watch it again. :lol:

HAL_9000
Toucan
Toucan

21 Sep 2009, 7:22 am

Here's one I thought of the other day. "Threads." It's a BBC docudrama made in the 1980s about a nuclear war happening and its effects on people. Absolutely brutal and very realistic.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 10:39 pm

HAL_9000 wrote:
Here's one I thought of the other day. "Threads." It's a BBC docudrama made in the 1980s about a nuclear war happening and its effects on people. Absolutely brutal and very realistic.

I never thought I would say this about a gory bloody film but I love Threads!! ! I watch that film all the time on Youtube and I never get tired of it. I guess loving that film has really made me more dark on the inside. :P

I rarely enjoy horror, unless it deals with post-apocalypse in a realistic fashion like in Threads.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 11:43 pm

I don't think anything I've seen to date has quite blown my mind but I'll at least give a few that got my adrenaline going in a 'listening to Kim by Eminem on full blast geeked out of my mind' sort of way:

House of 10,000 Corpses (Devil's Rejects perhapse to a lesser extent)
Running Scared (the more recent one with Paul Walker)
Training Day
No Country for Old Men

That said though I think I have more of a sensitivity to vitriol than I do blood, gore, violence, etc. on their own.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 11:47 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
that Salvadore Dali flick where they slice that woman's eyeball. I thought I was gonna hurl.

I have reasons similar to that on why I haven't yet watched Hannibal (yes, the scene everyone usually hears about before watching it). I'm sure I could sit through it just fine but, it kinda curbs my enthusiasm to go out and rent it.

HAL_9000
Toucan
Toucan

22 Sep 2009, 2:07 am

raisedbyignorance wrote:
HAL_9000 wrote:

I never thought I would say this about a gory bloody film but I love Threads!! ! I watch that film all the time on Youtube and I never get tired of it. I guess loving that film has really made me more dark on the inside. :P

I rarely enjoy horror, unless it deals with post-apocalypse in a realistic fashion like in Threads.

I developed something of an obsession when I first saw it. Like watching a train derail and not being able to look away. Kind of scary when you think about how many nuclear warheads there are.

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 7:51 pm

The Thing (Defibrillator)

MPD Psycho Series, Episode 4 (Eyeball-tongue)

House of 1000 corpses (Dr. Satan's Henchman, Grandpa face-mask)

The Descent (woman eaten alive)

Ring 0 (just plain creepy)

TheDuck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2009, 12:09 am

This is gonna sound very dumb but ...one of the most shocking movies i have seen , not because of violence but because it was so bad was Spiderman 3. I was dizzy coming out of the theater and in total shock by how bad the movie actually was (I had high expectations).
I don't think any other movie ever had such a physical impact on me.

As far as gory movies go I am not really bothered by it unless its pointless gore. Like i stopped watching saw half way and never going to finish that movie. Gore in war movies doesn't bother me .

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 4:05 pm

District 9

I love this movie, but the excessive gore got me
about halfway through. I wanted to throw up.

racooneyes
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Sep 2009, 4:41 pm

yeah Cannibal Holocaust and Irreversible are rotten and shouldn't be viewed by anyone, except Cannibla Holocaust cos it's actually amazing. the part with the wine bottle in Pan's Labarynth was horrible just no need no need.

the single most batshit-crazy-bananas-cuckoo movie I've ever seen, here's the trailer http://www.imdb.com/rg/VIDEO_PLAY/LINK/ ... 188378905/ seriously if you don't like drugs incest necrophelia copropholia or are lactate intolerant then don't watch it, if you don't mind that stuff this film could be enjoyable :lol:

get all confused and then mix up the dates.