What is the most disturbing/shocking movie you've ever seen?

Page 1 of 9 [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Brandon_M
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2009, 12:03 am

If there was ever a movie that got under your skin, list it here.

Todd Solondz's "Happiness" is hands down the most shocking one for me, and most disturbing next to Bully. I rented it from Netflix and watched it with some friends. Expecting a darker comedy, it was so sick and twisted that everyone's jaw, including my own, was dropped and stayed dropped throughout pretty much the entire movie and by the end, everyone was angry with me for having watched it! It stuck with me for about a week after, especially the final conversation between the therapist and his son towards the end of the film, which I won't even go into (shudders). Even the bits played out for laughs were disturbing, such as the prank caller using a "special" adhesive after a prank call of a sexual nature to paste something to the wall, or the persistence of an adult to get a kid to eat the sandwich which he had made for him.

Bully was the most disturbing and had me awake at night thinking about what I had just watched. Gruesome, dark and worst of all a true story about a group of kids who conspire to kill a sickly demented neighborhood bully, the plot speaks for itself. Not for the squeamish!

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 12:24 am

Brandon_M wrote:

Todd Solondz's "Happiness" is hands down the most shocking one for me, and most disturbing next to Bully. I rented it from Netflix and watched it with some friends. Expecting a darker comedy, it was so sick and twisted that everyone's jaw, including my own, was dropped and stayed dropped throughout pretty much the entire movie and by the end, everyone was angry with me for having watched it! It stuck with me for about a week after, especially the final conversation between the therapist and his son towards the end of the film, which I won't even go into (shudders). Even the bits played out for laughs were disturbing, such as the prank caller using a "special" adhesive after a prank call of a sexual nature to paste something to the wall, or the persistence of an adult to get a kid to eat the sandwich which he had made for him.

Bully was the most disturbing and had me awake at night thinking about what I had just watched. Gruesome, dark and worst of all a true story about a group of kids who conspire to kill a sickly demented neighborhood bully, the plot speaks for itself. Not for the squeamish!

Roxas's five most disturbing movies:

1. War of the Worlds w/ Tom Cruise: The only movie to actually give me a nightmare (it was about the giant alien tripods from the movie.) Nice slow-mo shot of some lady getting disintegrated by the beam ray and exploding into dust.
2. The Matrix Trilogy: The action sequences while in the Matrix are cool, but some of the things that happen outside creep me out.
3. Alien vs. Predator: What is NOT creepy about an alien larva that hugs your face, shoves its gangila down your throat to implant eggs in your stomach, which later causes a violent and excruciating death when the fully grown Aliens tear you open from the inside to get out?
4. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: Saw this one in theatres, not necessarily creepy or disturbing, but every time a Nazgul appears you have a 90% chance of jumping out of your seat, a 70% chance of spilling your soda, and a 30% chance of sh*****g your pants.
5. Wanted: The action was cool, but the degree of cussing in this movie was over the top (although I will thank them for teaching me the word "mindf**k.") And some of the things this guy did were batshit psycho, like cussing out his boss and on the way out the door, knocking out his friend with a computer keyboard.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

bicentennialman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2009, 12:31 am

The movie that comes to mind is 2001: A Space Odyssey, which I saw when I was a kid. The sense of utter isolation I got from the movie (especially the ending) kept me from sleeping that night.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 5:00 am

Took me a little bit to think but I think their are some I found quite disturbing. When I was a young child I saw the movie "Mars Atack", though I think it was a parody I found it quite disturbing like a gun turning people to skeletons. I remember the trailer to the movie "The Others" used to freak me out a lot, and I kept getting afraid, I had a similar experience when I watched "the sixth sense". Though it didn't scare me too much I think the movie "Jeepers Creepers" and the sequel were pretty creepy, especialy the skining theme.

studentM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2009, 5:15 am

Jacob's Ladder. Any movie where a character 'vibrates' in a hyper fast, totally unnatural way. That's too much. :( It's very disturbing.

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 5:31 am

Onibaba

onibaba

I saw it as a kid and the images never left my mind
it's a strange combination between horror and poetry that Japanese artists master like no one else

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5mFJGSbdYs[/youtube]

Last edited by nara44 on 29 Jul 2009, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 5:40 am

Brandon_M wrote:

Todd Solondz's "Happiness" is hands down the most shocking one for me,

Todd Solondz's movies are excellent but i suspect they wouldn't appear shocking to many AS as many of us are very aware to the reality behind the facades of the "normal" people.
anyway,"Happiness" is great movie

Darrenj777
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jul 2009, 8:18 am

IRRESVERSIBLE so upsetting that it because the first film for years to be banned in france

LILYA FOREVER i cant even talk about it without crying..

FUNNY GAMES like watching soemone you know being murdered

I have stopped wathcing films like this. ASD people are highly sensitive and also typically have poor boundarys, we tend to 'live' out these experiences rather than view them and remain detached like most people. I noticed the shock to my system for days.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 8:28 am

that Salvadore Dali flick where they slice that woman's eyeball. I thought I was gonna hurl.

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 8:29 am

Darrenj777 wrote:
IRRESVERSIBLE so upsetting that it because the first film for years to be banned in france

I have stopped wathcing films like this. ASD people are highly sensitive and also typically have poor boundarys, we tend to 'live' out these experiences rather than view them and remain detached like most people. I noticed the shock to my system for days.

IRRESVERSIBLE made me very very sick,it is not just the naked unprocessed violence but also the camera movement and the colors are really sickening
i think what u wrote is very true
we should be more careful ,especially because we have no boundaries

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 8:52 am

No doubt this horror movie from 1973 "The Baby"
I dont think its disturbing but it has a really chocking end of the amazing plot

Just as the description on YouTube says: "Keep watching...it just gets weirder"

[edited for content by sinsboldly]

Basement
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2009, 9:25 am

Downfall was certainly one of the most emotionally draining films I've ever seen.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 11:34 am

nara44 wrote:
Darrenj777 wrote:

IRRESVERSIBLE made me very very sick,it is not just the naked unprocessed violence but also the camera movement and the colors are really sickening
i think what u wrote is very true
we should be more careful ,especially because we have no boundaries

I agree, they crossed so many lines with this film. the scene where the guy gets his head smashed... eek! I couldn't get rid of that image for ages. I don't mind violence in films when it is justified somehow by the plot and well directed, but that was just pointless.

another French film with lots of mindless sex and violence - Baise-moi. what a bad, bad, pointless film.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 12:51 pm

IRREVERSIBLE head bashing scene. yumme.

it wasnt pointless
it was the accumulated and welled up animal rage - from the following rest of the movie ;)

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 1:25 pm

studentM wrote:
Jacob's Ladder. Any movie where a character 'vibrates' in a hyper fast, totally unnatural way. That's too much. :( It's very disturbing.

I was disturbed by that movie too and know just the scene you mean. I found that scene sufficiently disturbing that I re-watched it in slow motion in the hopes that the slow-mo version would replace the vibrating version in my head. It didn't work.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 4:22 pm

Ugh I avoid horror movies like the plague; they completely get into my head/dreams/consciousness.

The Serpent and the Rainbow had a scene where a guy is paralyzed by a drug but remains conscious and is buried alive. The visuals weren't so bad, but the idea of being buried while paralyzed and slowly suffocating to death had my skin crawling for weeks. (Hmm, lack of empathy? seems like over-identifying with someone else's situation.)

I've seen a little bit of Jacob's ladder, but could not get through it.

Also, the movie It -- voices and tentacles coming out of the sink drain, uccch.