Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Sira
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Aug 2009, 2:50 am

Sorry about this, maybe I should have put this in the other thread that I started but I'm not sure.

So I have an obsession, well, actually it's almost a need for symmetry in my vision. I'm not sure if that's the best way to put it but I'll give you a few examples; if I am sitting at my desk, looking at my computer and I notice a cup or other object sitting on one side of the desk it begins to upset me to absolutely no end, I try to ignore it but eventually I move it onto the floor or somewhere outside my field of vision. However this causes me to notice other problems with the symmetry of my desk and I end up tearing everything off on to the floor, completely enraged, so that I can sit in symmetrical peace.

Here's one more example and a recent one, actually the reason that I remembered to bring this up. So I just arived at my brothers apartment in Seattle and I was sitting there trying to pay attention or possibly get involved in the conversation between my mom and my brother. Well I noticed that a light in the other room was still on and as such half of the room that I was sitting in was illuminated and half was not. After noticing this I couldn't put it out of my mind no matter how hard I tried and when I was asked by my mom how I felt about whatever topic they were discussing, I angrily replied that I was sick of this damn lighting and I stormed off to go turn the light out...

I just wanted an opinion as to whether this is related to Asergers ( Which I'm still not sure if
I have), OCD, or just a really weird pet-peave....
Also, does anyone else have any odd tendancies along those lines?

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 1:54 pm

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Aug 2009, 2:03 pm

Nah its like a minor OCD thing I have the same problem but luckily my room is specially made just to handle it for example I have an ottoman a large wooden box and i put like my cups and plates there if I put them on the floor I would be even more freaked lol I am really oranised in term of personal space however I have been like it forever so I know I can't be a sign of OCD just you know extreme personal space management so don't freak mate

there are people like you I'll remember you next time I have to move my cup hehe

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 2:09 pm

It could be OCD, but not the typical presentation. As an Aspie, order, balance, structure, and such are very important in my environment, and I've organized my entire life accordingly. I find some rooms in some homes extremely distracting and even disorienting, usually a result of lighting from odd directions, reflections off shiny surfaces, or particular colors or patterns. But I also have synethesia, so anything involving my senses can become quite complex.