Good benchmark for "can I tell them at work"

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

arrose100
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Aug 2009, 9:57 pm

My aspie friend works as an insurance broker in the entertainment industry; a very difficult social environment. He/She is convinced that were word to get out he/she would be blackballed by that tight knit industry. Not in so many words, they just wouldn't hire him/her again. I on the other hand work in adverting and can totally be out about it, as long as I am responsible and try hard.

That got me thinking...

Were you a homosexual, and you could tell people at work that, then you can tell them you are an aspie. The 3 companies I've done really well at had openly gay employees.

It's not just the place though; it's the position; how senior your position is. Corporations are often "don't ask don't tell". You can still be "quirky" as long as you respect and try to adhere to the business culture. I think this is especially true for aspies in senior management. As a senior management exec., even if other people lower down are open you probably can't.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2009, 4:22 pm

That's a pretty good view of the context of the situation, that if a company is relaxed about gay employees, then they're more likely to be relaxed about aspie employees. It's not a guarantee. But then hardly anything is regarding social interaction! Take a medium step, see the feedback, and adjust from them. Inherently impecfect. It's the texture of life. And it is far more interesting if it were perfect.

'I am a nerd.'

'Actually, I find the details of insurance pretty interesting.'

'I guess kind of like fantasy baseball, right?'

'Well, the details do matter. And it's good that you have someone like me.'

One or two sentences, keep it brief, keep it light. Disclose aspects of your life in a series of small and medium steps. Be prepared to ease back if the other person isn't comfortable.

Now, if the other person is comfortable, and the two of you are talking more seriously, and they've revealed something about their life, and perhaps asking you about your life.

'If I told you I was Aspie, Asperger's Syndrome, now, that probably wouldn't be an enormous surprise, would it?'